• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

The Nicholls

So I entered my first script, an historical drama, in the Nicholl Fellowship competition.

They have a Facebook Page up and what they do is post one or two comments from intake script-readers each day. Just a sentence or two. For example:

“. . . meticulously creating a classic, human-centric horror tale in the high Romantic tradition. The crafting is superb, the intent specific and mature and the drama spot on. The suspense and scares are all suggestive and depend on the reader's own fears to fill in what is not shown.”

Now, they don't tell you which script it's from. It's a tease to generate hype, etc.

Meanwhile, everyone's wishing everyone else the best of luck, we're all one big happy family of aspiring writers, etc.

So after a few blue-agave-tequila margaritas last night, I couldn't help myself, and I posted this comment:

I wish I could say I wish you all luck. “Good Luck, my fellow aspiring writers!” Not a chance in hell. May you all choke, write fat and sloppy action sequences, miss all your story and character beats, and fall apart by the third act. There. I said it. (I feel better)

Anyone else here got a script in the Nicholls this year?

-Charles

I guess you didn't read the book about how to win friends and influence people, huh? :lol:

Mongol General: What is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Actually, it was an attempt at levity. A light-hearted parody of the cliche ruthless screenwriter.

People are SO intent on taking everything at face value nowadays. Satire is a dying art.

*sigh*

Actually, it was an attempt at levity. A light-hearted parody of the cliche ruthless screenwriter.

People are SO intent on taking everything at face value nowadays. Satire is a dying art.

*sigh*

The problem is context, not content. It's easy to convey satire and sarcasm with spoken words because of your vocal inflection. Not so easily accomplished in writing.

I just took it as you "drunk dialing" the Nicholls and got a laugh out of it, hence the LOL emoticon. :)

And my response was equally satirical. But you apparently didn't see it. Thus, I rest my case.

:cheers:

*sigh*

So is sarcasm. Nobody has a sense of humor anymore. I thought it was amusing, especially after the tequila comment. You just have to remember that one's tone does not translate to typing.

Tequila: getting folks punched out since the 1900's :beer:

-- spinner :cool:

Back