The Great Gatsby

UPDATE: In case anyone is interested, the full review is now up at http://www.ernestworthing.com/the-great-gatsby.html

I've read this book 30+ times over the course of my education and my own personal desire to study it again and again.

I wrote this little "preview" in July of 2012 for a popular film site but it got lost when the release date of the film changed.

I'm now putting it on my own site since the film will be released soon. I will still write a full 'personal' analysis of the book compared to all the film adaptations soon after we watch Luhrmann's attempt.

Link to the preview: http://www.ernestworthing.com/the-great-gatsby.html

And here is the "preview" itself:

26th April, 2013:

I wrote this for an external website in July, 2012 when we were expecting the film to come out in December, 2012. The plan was to follow up with an analysis of the book compared to the new film. That plan fell apart after the release date was changed.

Having studied The Great Gatsby 30+ times, I wanted to share my personal opinion about the book and the film adaptations.

Here is the brief piece written in July, 2012 (I will follow up with the analysis after the film is released):

The Great Gatsby – 4th Time’s the Charm?

Fitzgerald wrote, what can arguably be called, one of the greatest timeless tragedies ever written. Countless books concern themselves with tragedies of massive proportions but, like some of Shakespeare works, Fitzgerald’sGatsby is an internal tragedy of an epic scale. It is not a tragedy where countless die or worlds are destroyed but a tragedy of equal measure, all within a single man’s heart.

A number of classics have been adapted well on screen but, for some reason, The Great Gatsby has been a trick no filmmaker has been able to pull off.

The 1949 version, starring the tragic yet charming Alan Ladd, was an attempt that never achieved the majority of the book’s aspects correctly. It hit one character precisely while failing all the others, a scene faithfully while failing the rest and so on.

Then came the 1974 version which held all the promise in the world. Coppola writing the screenplay and Redford in the starring role with a notable supporting cast and crew behind the film. It was an unexpected disappointment where everything just seemed flat though Redford’s performance as Gatsby has to be applauded as the best one yet. However, Mia Farrow’s exaggerated Daisy did not help matters, never mixing appropriately with Redford’sGatsby.

In 2000, the third Gatsby film was a TV movie where the structure was decent enough but lacked the ability to involve the audience in the characters. Starring Mira Sorvino and Paul Rudd in supporting, key roles, one was never able to get past the actors to the characters. It ended up being a TV movie, which could otherwise have surpassed larger Hollywood attempts, hindered by a case of miscasting.

Now these movies were not bad films. They were all decent or more than. However, when you consider the source material, a well executed film adaptation ought to have the same grand yet inward searching effect on your emotions as the book did. No film yet has managed to fulfill that duty to Fitzgerald.

The audience, knowing or unknowing, waits for a faithful adaptation.

And now, in 2012, we will have one more attempt. Applause. Oh no. Wait. It is Baz Luhrmann directing. Do you remember Romeo and Juliet? Wait. It’s in 3D? No. The music in the trailer. Is he really going to involve modern music in a century old setting? Cringe.

Most of the advocates of the book have counted this year’s Gatsby out. Most of Luhrmann’s advocates could not be more excited for December. While those who like Luhrmann’s original work but aren’t too proud of his literary adaptations wait on tenterhooks.

Only time, or December 25th, will tell. It is an unorthodox approach to a classic but maybe, that is exactly what it needs since traditional methods have been tried thrice and failed. If, by the end of the film, the audience feels the epic tragedy that took place within the man’s heart, The Great Gatsby will have been the best adaption made… this far.

-Ernest Worthing

Note: There was also a 1926 film version made (making this the 5th Gatsby production) but no known copies have survived to date, only a trailer.

If you are a Fitzgerald fan, please comment and discuss his book vs the film adaptations.

:)

Last edited:
What an odd movie to be released in the middle of Summer. I'm yet to see a movie that's been pushed so far back that has actually ended up to be worth my time. I expect this one to stink.

I was actually unaware of all the other adaptations, aside from the Robert Redford one - which indeed, was pretty flat. :no:

I'm really looking forward to this new one. I've had the banner as my Facebook thing for months now. :blush: I'm a huge fan of what Baz Luhrmann did with Moulin Rouge and Romeo + Juliet.

The cinematography in the new trailers is astonishing - still gonna pass on the 3D if I can avoid it, though. :weird:

For those who haven't seen it - latest trailer below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozkOhXmijtk

I studied this in year 11 media alongside the film (pretty sure the 1974 version) and while I hated studying the book and older film I am interested in this new one and was surprisingly keen to see it.

I don't have much more to say, except half the characters annoyed me so so much

What an odd movie to be released in the middle of Summer. I'm yet to see a movie that's been pushed so far back that has actually ended up to be worth my time. I expect this one to stink.

I agree. I'm still not clear about whether the movie got pushed back bc they thought they could make more money in the summer or the film itself was not ready. I'm leaning towards the former since it looked like PP was done on time.

I have quite a few reservations about Luhrmann's interpretation but will not form an opinion till I've seen it.

Earnestly, I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

I was actually unaware of all the other adaptations, aside from the Robert Redford one - which indeed, was pretty flat. :no:

I'm really looking forward to this new one. I've had the banner as my Facebook thing for months now. :blush: I'm a huge fan of what Baz Luhrmann did with Moulin Rouge and Romeo + Juliet.

The cinematography in the new trailers is astonishing - still gonna pass on the 3D if I can avoid it, though. :weird:

I like Luhrmann's work as well, just not his adaptations. The cinematography, by itself, does look amazing.

I studied this in year 11 media alongside the film (pretty sure the 1974 version) and while I hated studying the book and older film I am interested in this new one and was surprisingly keen to see it.

I don't have much more to say, except half the characters annoyed me so so much

I hope you give it another chance... the book, that is. A character or two was meant to be annoying in order to make different points. Take Daisy, for example. She is not perfect as Gatsby imagines her to be. She is not all annoying either but does have a few annoying qualities. However, to Gatsby, she is absolutely brilliant.

Have you never been infatuated or in love with a girl where all her qualities are "love-able" or cute or charming and so on while others find those same qualities annoying?

Yes I suppose that is correct that Daisy was meant to be annoying.

I think perhaps its partially the fact that I had to study the story so vigorously that I was lost on the story, which has happened a few times when studying Literature in Year 11 and 12, except for Blakes poetry, loved them.

If anyone needs a quick Gatsby fix, search for Great Gatsby on Spotify. There's a 4-part audiobook read by Michael Shannon up on there. :cool:

Right there with you on Blake, MileCreations. One of my standard "walking around" books is a volume of Blake. Great stuff. Also a huge fan of Yeats, Sexton, Elliot, Baudelaire, etc.

All that said, never cared for Gatsby. And not a huge fan of Luhrmann. My girlfriend, who is a big fan of both, is not looking forward to this one. Doubly so the 3d version. Stylistic excess which seems at odds with the ennui that defines Fitzgerald. We'll probably see it, but with much trepidation!

Not a lot of love for Gatsby here. It seems the character was born to suffer that fate both on and off page.

I could spend hours discussing Gatsby here but I think I'll wait till till I write the full article following the release. Hope you guys like it and give it a chance.

I see what you did there.

:) I slip that in now and then when I mean it.

I notice you made no mention if it was the 2d/3d version you saw. Just curious. :)

I watched it in 3D since it was shot that way. Surprisingly, Luhrmann used it quite well and it was one of the few things which did not detract from the film. Choosing to show what he did when composing distracted us which could easily be blamed on the 3D but in other scenes where he lets us focus a bit on the characters, the 3D did no such thing. As for the technical aspects, the lighting and motion were both fine, not too dark and not headache inducing.

Thanks for bring this to my attention, Zen. I should add it as a note to the review.

I thought Iron Man was ahead?
Oh, it is. It's just that no one expected TGG to debut as well as it did.

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3684&p=.htm
"Thanks to an excellent marketing effort and a complete lack of competition for female audiences, The Great Gatsby opened to an excellent $50.1 million over Mother's Day weekend. However, that wasn't enough to claim first place from Iron Man 3, which followed up its record-breaking debut with another very strong outing... Iron Man 3 fell 58 percent to $72.5 million"

I don't know. I thought I'd heard that the soundtrack was hip hop, so, not caring for hip hop, I'd lost my interest in it. I don't think I care to sit through a hip hop movie. But hell, I rather like the music in that trailer you posted, Steve. Still, come on. God, there must be a crapload of incredible period music that they could have used. Sure, they could have modified it and given it a more contemporary spin, etc. So still seems like a huge opportunity missed. That's what I would have wanted to do, if it were up to me. So eh. Also, I'm ashamed to say that I haven't read the book yet...the actual book, not the lame-o film version book that I think I've heard they're publishing...and I'd really like to before seeing any film version of it. But life won't let me get to reading it anytime soon, looks like.

Back