• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

The future of Timelapse?

Hi guys,

Been pondering a question for a while... Time-lapse photography is a huge passion of mine and having only got into it in the last 8 months I already feel like I am behind the curve.

The big attraction of time lapse for me and others was being able to have these stunning essentially 5k images but with the quick emergence of 4k video... where does this leave timelapse in a DSLR workflow?

Wouldnt it be easier in a few years time just to set up a video camera in 4k and just speed up the footage in post?

Or is DSLR time lapse here to stay?

Would love peoples views on this...

I feel that DSLR timelapse is here to stay. Just not in the form that it is in right now. It's heavily over-saturated right now and everyone and their grandmother is doing it.

DSLR's still offer timelapses that normal video cameras can't do! I think we'll see less timelapse films in the future but good integration of the medium in a narrative film!

by the time you need to worry bout it Im sure their will be some other advancement that makes this moot, maybe its 8k DSLR's ?? ;)

Seems to me the high end time lapse stuff is now all about camera motion during the shoot. I think that is what will differentiate the pros from the amateurs going forward. Push that envelope and you'll be on the cutting edge!

Far be it for me to predict the future of technology considering the rapid growth and boundaries being broken all the time.

I think we'll see less timelapse films in the future but good integration of the medium in a narrative film!

It's been integrated for quite a while now in films and the most recent example I can think of is one in TV. Breaking Bad has made extensive use of it for the past 5 years.

Far be it for me to predict the future of technology considering the rapid growth and boundaries being broken all the time.

It's been integrated for quite a while now in films and the most recent example I can think of is one in TV. Breaking Bad has made extensive use of it for the past 5 years.

That's what I mean. Integration in films and TV shows, but I just hope we'll move away from timelapse only films. I am guilty of it myself :)

Wouldnt it be easier in a few years time just to set up a video camera in 4k and just speed up the footage in post?

It might be, for short time lapses - but a video camera recording 6-12 hours or more of 4k raw footage doesn't necessarily sound easier, it just adds a ton of extra data to the equation.

Personally I think the best timelapse stuff is things that show me something I can't see, or something I see every day in a new way. That has little to do with the technology behind it, other than requiring a certain level of mastery of the basic skills. It's still more about the creative choices of the shooter than what they shoot on.

Hi Guys,

Great to get everyone's feedback, I agree that the market is very saturated at the oment, there is literally time lapse in everything on TV etc..

I think it will have to change direction in the coming years, for me personally ive seen some amazing timelapse but im getting to the point now where I've seen it all before so to speak especially with the timelapses set to nice orchestral music.

I think someone has to come up with an innovative idea that can open up a new niche.

I was thinking a quadcopter, with a gyro-stabilized camera mount, that can be programmed to move itself step by step in sync with the camera shots, for things like a timelapse orbiting & ascending a skyscraper as the sun rises reflected in the glass of the building. It's probably almost doable now, except for the part where you need batteries that can keep it in the air for hours at a time. They are doing some amazing things with graphene these days though...

Back