The Academy Awards

They've just announced this years nominees for the academy awards, I was just wondering what everyone things of the current state of the awards and Hollywood in general.

Yawning.jpg

I'm actually surprised that "Won't You Be My Neighbor" wasn't nominated for anything! It was perhaps the best movie of the year and relates to the current culture. At least a mention in the documentary category would be nice.

Hale County This Morning, This Evening isn't that great of a film. I watched it. It could of been released on YouTube. Why was it nominated? Also, where is "Eating Animals"??

Where is Leave No Trace? Lean on Pete?

In general I don't think the awards accurately reflect the impact of the best made films that came out in 2018.

There are only so many films that can get nominated. Remember The Academy Awards is a business. Whoever has the most money and marketing strategy pretty much wins. It's politics!

There are only so many films that can get nominated. Remember The Academy Awards is a business. Whoever has the most money and marketing strategy pretty much wins. It's politics!

I can see that as true. So, is there an award in the film industry that better represents "the best" movies?

I'm actually surprised that "Won't You Be My Neighbor" wasn't nominated for anything! It was perhaps the best movie of the year and relates to the current culture. At least a mention in the documentary category would be nice.

I even thought Won't You Be My Neighbor? would win. Surprising to see that it did not even get nominated.

I can see that as true. So, is there an award in the film industry that better represents "the best" movies?
I think "the best" is too subjective for an award that can encompass all of them.
There are indie awards, there are horror awards, there are animated awards,
there are regional awards. You have the "Peoples Choice" and film critic awards.

The Academy is limited to movies released in a theater in Los Angeles for seven
consecutive days - so that restricts many movies but it does represent the
film industry well. As Quality implies, the Oscar has never represented "the
best". It has always been publicity and popularity.

I cannot imagine how you could set up an award that judges all movies made
in a year and come up with the best made films.

Last night I saw all the nominated short films. Got me thinking about THIS GUY
who said he has never heard of or seen a short film that interested him. I suspect
he'll never return to indietalk but I sure would be interested in his take on
those movies.

I'm certainly not impressed with the nominations i've seen so far...

I watched A Star is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody this week and they both felt like every other musical biopic film that I've seen. I enjoy those kinds of films and they're both well made but it's so familiar.... Are either of them better than Walk the Line or The Doors ? Probably not.

And then there's the other film I've seen, Black Panther... I actually laughed when i saw it was nominated. I thought it was the worst film in the entire avengers series. Iron Man is one of the best films ever made... so good it launched what is probably the largest film franchise in history. Where was it's nomination? lol what a joke.

Last night I saw all the nominated short films. Got me thinking about THIS GUY
who said he has never heard of or seen a short film that interested him. I suspect
he'll never return to indietalk but I sure would be interested in his take on
those movies.

I normally watch the Oscar nominated shorts in Amazon. This year they haven't put up yet. Where did you watch the nominated short films? Also, where do you watch the nominated documentary shorts in general?

I'm certainly not impressed with the nominations i've seen so far...

I watched A Star is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody this week and they both felt like every other musical biopic film that I've seen. I enjoy those kinds of films and they're both well made but it's so familiar.... Are either of them better than Walk the Line or The Doors ? Probably not.

And then there's the other film I've seen, Black Panther... I actually laughed when i saw it was nominated. I thought it was the worst film in the entire avengers series. Iron Man is one of the best films ever made... so good it launched what is probably the largest film franchise in history. Where was it's nomination? lol what a joke.

Agreed, Black Panther was just not finished. It looks like the forgot half of the CGI. Not a very compelling villain. The only thing worse was Antman and Wasp.

Looks like Disney took over Harvey Weinstein job of oscar manipulation.

Last edited:
Agreed, Black Panther was just not finished. It looks like the forgot half of the CGI. Not a very compelling villain.

Not to mention they have the most ass backward society in the entire world but they're supposed to be advanced?
Can you imagine if the dudes dad hadn't been assassinated..

This old dude is going to fight michael b jordan in hand to hand combat for control of the kingdom??? :lol:
So stupid.

CW_TCHAKAHD.jpg

Not to mention they have the most ass backward society in the entire world but they're supposed to be advanced?
Can you imagine if the dudes dad hadn't been assassinated..

This old dude is going to fight michael b jordan in hand to hand combat for control of the kingdom??? :lol:
So stupid.

CW_TCHAKAHD.jpg

HAHA... Jea... would be a short ficht.

Black Panther wasn't a good movie? You must be out of your goddamn mind. That movie was one of the most traditional storytelling in modern times.

Could have been so much better. Some parts look like it was done by the team of Babylon 5 ....The only thing we see of Wakanda, are a farm and street....

For what it's (not) worth, I loved Black Panther.

I'm not a super hero fan, and I couldn't tell a DC character from a Marvel character if my life depended on it. But I thought the story was interesting as were the characters, and the actors were terrific.

Back