• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Terra Australis - New timelapse film

WOW, Phil. Just wow!! That was a treat, Thanks for sharing. Now please excuse me as I head back for seconds. I loved it!!

Sam

Very nice Phill. Can I ask what kind of slider you are using? Is it motorized? Are all the shots with movement done on a slider, or did you create and the the movement in post? Looks great!

Very nice Phill. Can I ask what kind of slider you are using? Is it motorized? Are all the shots with movement done on a slider, or did you create and the the movement in post? Looks great!

Thanks sir!

No movement in post, all shot with a Kessler Crane Pocket dolly. Occasional pan and tilt done with the standard Revolution head by Kessler too!

Thank you for posting Phil, very enjoyable. I'm making a DIY motorized glide track and hoping to control it with an intervalometer. Hoping it will be able to help make time lapse video's. Loved the music and the ending shots. Great work!!

Phil, if you don't mind my asking, what camera(s) did you use for this. I saw one of your posts mantion that you had 4K resolution - is the workflow the same? Software the same? That was very, very impressive...especially the closing shot. Thanks.

Phil, if you don't mind my asking, what camera(s) did you use for this. I saw one of your posts mantion that you had 4K resolution - is the workflow the same? Software the same? That was very, very impressive...especially the closing shot. Thanks.

Hey Kosh,

It's all shot on a 5D Mark II. All the RAW stills processed in Lightroom and then FCP. Workflow the same as 1080p, but needs a lot more processing power and space!

That was beautiful, and at the same time intimidating, im just getting into this hobby and know im miles away from art this well done. I've been to a lot of the places you shot, and it captured the beauty better then seeing it in person.

Good job.

Hey phil, finally having a chance to watch this again, on my desktop (as opposed to the iPad). I was wondering if you'd comment on some of the HDR sequences? Were they all standard 3 shot HDR? Tackling HDR time-lapse is definitely a goal of mine.

Thanks

Hey phil, finally having a chance to watch this again, on my desktop (as opposed to the iPad). I was wondering if you'd comment on some of the HDR sequences? Were they all standard 3 shot HDR? Tackling HDR time-lapse is definitely a goal of mine.

Thanks

Hey Jeff,
I didn't shoot anything in HDR for this timelapse. However, I have shot a complete film in HDR timelapse, so if you want me to go into detail on how to do that, just let me know! It's not that hard to do it, it just takes some time working out what works for you. Consider that post production will take roughly twice the time too!

Phil

Thanks for the reply. My apologies for the assumption. Some of those nature scenes looked incredible. I thought for sure they had to have been HDR. Again sorry for assuming. Still an awesome video.

Nope. The way to get nature scenes like those is to shoot RAW. I edit all my Timelapses in Adobe Lightroom 4. The way to do is to play with features like clarity, your exposure, different colour hues and saturations, Fill light, sharpening, noise reduction therefore, blacks, shadows, lights. It's a lot of work to edit RAW's but you can get incredible results!

This film is nearly completely HDR: https://vimeo.com/35406208

If you want to learn about HDR timelapses, just read my blog post. I covered everything you need to know, from shooting to post. Any more questions, just ask! http://philarntz.com/nightscapes-a-look-into-creating-a-timelapse-film-on-a-minimal-budget/

Hope I can help Jeff, thanks for your compliments

Since you mention it, I will ask a little about your post work. When you're working on a sequence, in Lightroom, do you adjust 1 photo, get it where you want, and then apply settings to the rest of the images in that sequence?

Since you mention it, I will ask a little about your post work. When you're working on a sequence, in Lightroom, do you adjust 1 photo, get it where you want, and then apply settings to the rest of the images in that sequence?

That's the way to do it! Just adjust it, select all other pics in the picture strip at the bottom and hit sync. Or just click in the photo you adjusted, copy develop settings, select all other pics, and past develop settings!

Phil, did you use an equatorial mount (or have to stack images) to get the galaxy shots, or was it simply that awesome out where you were? Didn't see any mention of this in your articles. :cool:

Back