T2i or GH2

OK, turns out my GH2 will be here tomorrow!

I only have until the 4th of April to return the T2i

what would you do?

Considering.
Not even opening the box. Put it up on ebay right away with a reasonable Buy It Now price, if it SELLS by the 3rd return the T2i and upgrade to the 60d?

Open the box and test it out as originally planned. I do have an FD adapter so I have some ok primes to play with....

Sell it right away, keep the T2i and get a good wide lens with the profits.

Return the T2i and get "re" excited about my original choice of the GH2, buy some lens adapters and get on with it.

I dont think I can NOT TRY it out.. I mean come on who here could resists?

FWIW:

Mine came totally out of the blue earlier this afternoon. Caught me off guard - I don't have any of the adapters to attach my lenses to it! Nevermind all the other crap I have to buy or build now. Trying not to get caught up in all of that.

OTOH:

On Sunday I scored a couple old Rikenon lenses for $30 at an estate sale down the street, including one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...enses&rt=nc&si=TbsnDP6D8FJLU90eLuYY2UjOj8U%3D

Will be interesting to see it at 210mm, tho the focus ring seems to have a small amount of slip. Still the package was worth the cash for the extra caps, straps, bag, and a 50mm 1.7 to compare to my canon one.

Still, it's going on the tripod and getting powered up after I finish my snack. Surprisingly, the battery arrived charged.

;)

Whichever you choose Wheat, you'll be stoked with the results. :D

Last edited:
I don't know, Wheat. Saying goodbye to that T2i is going to be like shooting old yeller. I think you may be looking at opening a camera hostel where wayward cameras go to be loved and used. ;)

IndieBudget,
Yeah, thats what I understood..
I was planning on selling my FD lenses if I keep the T2i. But they WILL work on the GH2! which was one of my reason for looking at the GH2 in the first place. Though, in reality, none of my FD lenses are that special, less that $500 total value so meh..

The manual lenses that I have bought since getting the T2i (M42 and Nikons), will work with EITHER camera system... so right now, im lens rich! lol

I have invested a few bucks, less than a 100 total, in EOS lenses from pawn shops, Id have to just dump those on ebay and get maybe some of that money back, I doubt Id profit from them. Cept maybe the EOS 50 f1.8, got that for $30 at a pawn shop, I think going rate is about $70...

FWIW, here is a still from the new\old helios 58mm f2 lens of Latvian extraction that I got this morning.

helios58mmpaul.jpg

That's a pretty dope lens you got there!

I'm in sort of the same boat with my FD stuff - a few fun things, but nothing special or noteworthy. The K mount Rikenon stuff I picked up was on a whim, and because it was cheap. :D

I'm particularly interested in testing out the B4 mount Canon/Fujinon possibilities either using ETC, extender, or cropping in post.

Short impressions:

Screen is pretty nice, menus aren't too obtuse although there are a couple of things I feel are missing from the programmable function buttons. Touch screen features are, well, in generally gimicky. Works for some menus, others are more cumbersome. The stylus is ok, but I don't want grubby set fingers on my screen anyway.

Pressing in the jog wheel activates focus assist, rolling the wheel alternates the zoom of the assist and the menu nav buttons move the screen around. I think I like this layout slightly more than the dedicated button on the Canons, but it's a wash in reality.

Generally build quality seems a little nicer than some folks have claimed, but it is no 7D in that respect. Feels more lightweight than a tXi, but that's to be expected. I think though that some folks mistake weight for sturdiness sometimes. Here the weight differential has a lot to do with internal hardware native to a DSLR that doesn't exist on an EVIL camera like the GH2. I'd put the two cameras pretty much on par for build, with nudging in the tXi direction because the port covers are of better quality.

More later, but the g/f is giving me looks. ;)

* - I don't have two side by side, so Wheat's in a better position to compare. I'm going from memory after having worked with all three of the major Canon video DSLRs on various gigs. :D

Last edited:
The ONLY think that stopped me from buying a GH2 was the 2X crop. In every other respect it seems the best camera out there.

The bane of my life on the 5D right now is monitoring. I am probably going to have to cough up the $899 for the SmallHD DP-6 (holding off to see if anything comes out of NAB next month). The DP-6 is the only monitor that upscales the 5D monitor output to make is really usable. With a 7D you could get by with a $299 lilliput, but with the 5D the image on a lilliput isn't much bigger than what you get on the viewfinder.

Gonz, I'm going to NAB!

Would you recommend the T2i for family home videos?

haha!
I recommend the t2i to people all the time. It's a lot of camera for the money. The killer is the same as 5D the monitoring situation. The 5D has enough other upside to put up with it, the t2i doesn't.

I was about to pull the trigger on the DP-6 and several people advised me to wait until after NAB to see if any of the other companies come out with a unit that upscales the 5D output. SUPPOSEDLY there are firmware betas that fix it as well, but so far nothing.

Back