series Syfy is looking for new series.

The Salad Fingers show: skeeving everyone out for an hour at a time! I like it!

And, exactly on both counts, mussonman! Start with Drizzt (since he's the most popular character by far), follow characters crossing into some of the major story events in FR (Pool of Radiance, the Avatar trilogy, etc). And I love Wrath of the Dragon God (and yes, SyFy was involved in that, and the not-as-good Book of Vile Darkness)

It'd be cool if they could do Avengers-type crossover series. Where the events in one show affect a different series about different characters.

Elminster should be in all of them

Right on! That's exactly what I had in my head! Elminster would be perfect as a "central" character because, well, he is!

Let's get money and make this happen.

Let's get money and make this happen.

I've always wanted to do a webseries that was loosely based on or parodying Dungeons and Dragons.

Like "Your Highness"

That movie rules! Why can't sword and sorcery be a popular genre anymore? Just cause they made a bad Conan Remake?

I've always wanted to do a webseries that was loosely based on or parodying Dungeons and Dragons.

Like "Your Highness"

That movie rules! Why can't sword and sorcery be a popular genre anymore? Just cause they made a bad Conan Remake?

isn't game of thrones sword and sorcery? idk i haven't seen it

You haven't seen Game Of Thrones? WTF, how's that even possible?

I watch very little television. Mostly films. things from time magazine top 100 list, afi top 100 multiple lists, imdb top 250, etc.

also a ton of films that are referenced in my film making books. all the books I read, every time they used a film as an example that I haven't seen, I added it to my queue.. nearly seen them all now. less than 100 remain. discovered some real gems that way. like dolores clayborne

Plenty of quality stuff to watch that helps me become a better film maker.

I haven't seen the wire either.. and that was filmed here in baltimore.
I HAVE seen every episode of 24.

isn't game of thrones sword and sorcery? idk i haven't seen it

To answer your question, yes. Game of Thrones implements 'sorcery' very tactfully, actually. I think the creators/ R.R Martin are aware that when you throw the magic stuff into the medieval setting, you walk a fine line between it being cheesy and being really neat. Game of Thrones does it exceptionally well, having specific characters drive the magic side of the show. (Primarily, I'd say Stannin's red woman drives the majority of that side of the show...)

Still, D&D isn't the only game in town (no pun intended) though it is the most recognizable. There was a tv series based on White Wolf games (I think it was a Vampire series; I was never really a fan so didn't see it) but that was 20 years ago. Mass audiences these days are far more into fantasy/gaming than they were. Thank you Harry Potter (credit where credit is due).

I guess what I really want is a fantasy series that is less campy than the Xena/Hercules fare of the past, but more of a high-magic setting than, say, Game of Thrones. And if it could be painted with creatures and magic that is familiar to me, all the better!

I am comfortable with the fact that I'm a big nerd :D

Yeah, I never did see that WW Vampire series. It probably wasn't very good. But maybe could work better now. Haven't there been, like, a couple of popular vampire TV shows recently? But I don't know. Aren't those heavy on the sexy, chic, romantic side of things? Not sure V:tM fits that bill; it's more of a horror story.

Speaking of the Harry Potter influence, maybe one of WW's other games, Mage, could work for the reasons you've suggested. Or the werewolf one, for that matter.

A D&D show sounds like it could be good, but, like you said, with adequate production value ($) and without the camp.

Or, never played it, but how about a World of Warcraft show? Would that be like a D&D show, if you couldn't get D&D?

A Blade Runner show sounds cool to me. I never saw it, but wasn't Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles (Fox) a success? I'm guessing it might be something like that: a TV show spin-off of a similar sci-fi franchise. Would Ridley be down with that, or not so much?

Maybe bring back The Six Million Dollar Man? I was ga-ga for that when I was a kid. Though I suppose now it might be The Six Billion Dollar Man? And who could fill Lee Majors's shoes?

And of course...there needs to be a new Farscape series. :)

This is fun. I'm sure there are tons of other things they could do.

Seconding more Farscape. Yes, please. Blade Runner is a pretty interesting world to set a series in too, though it'd be easy to get caught in a redundant "catch the replicant of the week" pattern if it wasn't done right. Which reminds me, I used to love the Logan's Run tv show (they keep talking about remaking the film, but it keeps not happening. That one, as much as I love it, could use a fresh coat of paint).

Mage could make a great show. Suggestion for the theme song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSP1EPfXxsQ Explaining the joke for those who don't get it, a major game mechanic of Mage is trying to cast spells without incurring too much Paradox, so you can make up any spell you want, but if you turn the buildings in the city blue, the normal folks are going to notice and it's not going to go well for you.

As for GOT (which I do very much love), it starts off as a low-magic fantasy world, but a major part of the story is the return of magic. For those watching
, the skeleton/wight battle at the end of last season? That's exactly what I want! The single best example of a D&D style battle I've ever seen on tv!

I agree that it's pretty boring.. but you can't say nothing happens.. a lot of characters get killed off :lol:

I can say that nothing interesting happens. :lol:

My theory to this show's popularity is that people actually love the genre. Lord of the Rings's success is a testament to that. Also video-games like Skyrim or Final Fantasy. But, since there really isn't anything being delivered in the genre on television other than this, it's what they're left with. So basically, they like it by default.

Plus, from what I've seen, it's mostly women that like the show. The wieners may have something to do with that

Not trying to be argumentative here Mussonman, but if 42% of the viewers are women, then 58% are men. Making the audience mostly men, not women.

A survey is never definitive.

And for a show that's expected to have primarily and almost exclusive male viewership, then those numbers are quite surprising.

I'm also not trying to be argumentative, but what's your point? It's perhaps surprising, but it's pleasantly so (that the myth that women can't enjoy fantasy is being broken)

I'm also not trying to be argumentative, but what's your point? It's perhaps surprising, but it's pleasantly so (that the myth that women can't enjoy fantasy is being broken)

I actually have two points. One being that, women can like fantasy, but I really wouldn't classify this as a "fantasy." If LOTR and Conan have difficulty maintaining a female audience without throwing in unnecessary romantic sub-plots, then a show that's supposed to be in the same vein as them should also have that difficulty.

Why has GoT garnered such a fanatical following? People who have never been interested in reading fantasy have become huge fans of the show. Like women.

My second point is; I think that the women are also responsible for the male audience. What nerdy guy wouldn't look at a girl watching a show that's trying to be meant for nerds and not try to use the show to build a connection with her?

My original point was just a joke, saying that the wieners are what draws the female viewership. And I'll end by sticking with that joke

Back