• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

camera Switching to Sony A7Siii after Valiant effort with BMPCC 6kpro

Just recently jumped into the wedding videography scene, and due to lower cost plus image quality I went with the Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera 6k pro. After owning a 4k version for two years, I figured this would be the best route to keep my Canon lenses, and reduce my kit purchases.

Boy oh boy, do I NOOOOOT recommend this camera for solo wedding videographers. I had all sorts of nightmares with this thing while doing live weddings. From my external SDD unplugging constantly (due to cheap Smallrig fasteners mostly, secondly due to chord compatibility issues), weight of the entire rig, battery life, ergonomic issues, and stability problems (even a heavy rig still has slight jitter but fixed slightly in post).

These issues can be addressed, but the answer is almost always throw more cash at the rigging and extra elements. The internal ND is great, the screen is great, the footage is amazing... But huge file sizes make even that a chore. I bought a C-fast card to backup external SSD problems, but 500GB gifts maybe two hours of Braw at most with medium quality 4k footage. Not enough to put a dent in the typical wedding day.

I had the 6kpro as my main, and the 4k as my backup... With separate rigging just for the backup, I was carrying a large pelican that did not include all my bells and whistles. This pelican would stay in my vehicle, while I only had one camera with rigging accessories in my backpack. I carried the decked out 6k with a shoulder strap in addition to the backpack. This all together weighs about 50 pounds. Lugging this around all day is no bueno.

So, I'm moving to Sony. With all that gear (and a buttload of debt), I've learned that sometimes forcing a square peg into a round hole isn't the answer. Especially when it comes to the job at hand. If you are using your BMPCC for wedding gigs (especially solo), I commend you. I salute you. But to me, especially being the ripe age of 36 years... I can't handle it in that kind of run and gun environment.

Anyone thinking of purchasing a freelance, wedding gig, run and gun camera... I urge you to consider your image quality needs for your clients in tandem with your needs as a filmmaker.

I will still use my BMPCC 6k, but for narrative and studio works. Sony is going to wedding gigs. Before you make $$$$ mistake like me, prioritize based on your job first. Just my 2 cents review for those on the fence. Image quality comes second.

I love my 6K pro, but live shooting would be a nightmare. Never had my SSD disconnect, but I keep the connections locked down on both ends.
ResolveCamera.jpg

The A7S III is a camera I have dreamed of having, since the first one came out. Obviously, the low light and focus follow features are top notch. Not sure if it would look as cinematic as the 6K pro, but I still want one someday.

I don't do weddings, so I am very content. We did just shoot a Batman themed lawyer commercial with the 6K pro and Ursa. Again, going for cinematic, so the results were great.

I have the a7siii and have been really happy with it.
Sometimes i think about doing some video work to earn a little extra cash. been behind in bills ever since my dog died (vet costs)
Aww, I'm sorry about that. Weddings are stressful but a good resource.

I'm also playing with the idea of real estate once I get my drone license.

I love my 6K pro, but live shooting would be a nightmare. Never had my SSD disconnect, but I keep the connections locked down on both ends.
ResolveCamera.jpg

The A7S III is a camera I have dreamed of having, since the first one came out. Obviously, the low light and focus follow features are top notch. Not sure if it would look as cinematic as the 6K pro, but I still want one someday.

I don't do weddings, so I am very content. We did just shoot a Batman themed lawyer commercial with the 6K pro and Ursa. Again, going for cinematic, so the results were great.
The image you get from the BMPCC is great for that type of work. Studio setting, retake shots again and again, position of the frame.

But yes the live events are a no go. I love BMPCC still, and plan using it for narrative work, with sony as backup if the weather turns south for whatever reason.

Edit: would love to see the Batman skit if possible.

Last edited:
would love to see the Batman skit if possible.
Once the client starts running the commercials, I'll share it here. Our guy is a personal injury lawyer. He is saving Catwoman from 3 bad guys. One looks like the Penguin, another looks like the Riddler (except he has dollar signs, instead of question marks), and the 3rd bad guy is Wrongful Death. They are all pro comedians, so they really own the parts.

One of the guys says to Catwoman, "I'm going to clean your litter box!" I'll be cracking up if the State Bar approves that for final cut.

Once the client starts running the commercials, I'll share it here. Our guy is a personal injury lawyer. He is saving Catwoman from 3 bad guys. One looks like the Penguin, another looks like the Riddler (except he has dollar signs, instead of question marks), and the 3rd bad guy is Wrongful Death. They are all pro comedians, so they really own the parts.

One of the guys says to Catwoman, "I'm going to clean your litter box!" I'll be cracking up if the State Bar approves that for final cut.
That sounds awesome! haha

Back