• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Switch between flashback and present

If we have f.e. a scene where someone is hitting punches on the wall
and with every punch the hero, who is watching him, remembers something,
how would we right that scene?

Thank you mlesemann, indietalk, Quality. Your answers are in to the point and help me a lot.

I read indietalk answer. I was also had in mind the end of The Sixth Sense where there is the same thing,
but in the screenplay M.N. Shyamalan has only one flashback.

Then while I was thinking that switching between flashback and present thing,
I realized that it's not actually switching or intercutting but just interrupted quick flashes,
or quick flashes with gaps. So I guess the pure right way to write it is:

QUICK FLASHBACK

Bla bla.

BACK TO SCENE

ACTION (in present moment)

QUICK FLASHBACK

Bla bla.

BACK TO SCENE

ACTION (in present moment)

But this is boring for a reader.
I tend to believe that this is more of the directors job, whether it will be normal quick flashes or "interrupted".
I guess writer just has to stuck the flashes with a notice above, something like "as he watches..., he remembers.

I know BACK TO SCENE is not needed in a flashback because, the flashback IS in the scene. At least this is what I gather... I think END FLASHBACK or BACK TO PRESENT are preferred.

curious of this myself. I've been very judgmental of my intercut/flashback stuff. I don't want it to coe off confusing or too quick. Of course when I read it they make sense but thats not everyone and I'm aware of that.

Not sure if it would be correct but I'd try to do it using the minimum amount of whitespace as possible. Something along the lines of:

With each punch the Bride makes against the wood, her knuckles become more bloody and Pai Mei remembers the past...

BEGIN MONTAGE:

WHAM! Knuckles are a bit skinned.

A young Pai Mei is pushed down by a group of bigger bullies. Frightened, he cries.

WHAM! Knuckles are red and inflammed.

A young Pai Mei is pushed down again by the bullies. But this time he gets up. He gets punched down.

WHAM! Knuckles are beginning to bleed.

A young Pai Mei is pushed by the bullies but doesn't fall down. Instead he turns and in anger rushes the bullies who gang up on him punching him down to the ground.

WHAM! Knuckles are bloody.

A young Pai Mei is pushed by bullies but doesn't fall. Instead he turns and waits. One bully steps forward to punch him. Pai Mei blocks it but doesn't retaliate. The bully tries again and is blocked again. With a nod the bullies all rush Pai Mei fists flying.

WHAM! Knuckles are beginning to run and drip blood.

A young Pai Mei is pushed by bullies but it barely makes him move. They push again harder until finally Pai Mei stops and turns. A bully steps forward and attacks. Pai Mei deflects and retaliates in one single fluid motion. The bully drops. Another rushes in and is likewise felled. The rest of the bullies rush in and Pai Mei deftly deflects, redirects, sweeps past and otherwise buffets their attacks while retaliating only to the degree to leave his attackers sprawling in the dirt. He calmly turns and continues on his path.

WHAM! Knuckles are almost exposed to the bone and blood covers the whole hand.

END MONTAGE.

I prefer this style (Sorry, for the cheesy horror):

Int. Black’s mansion – Night

The man stands in front of the window. But he is overlaid by the shadow. Outside there is a heavy thunderstorm.

MAN
Maybe I should tell the real story.

He turns around. The lightning hits again.

Cut to:

Int. Man’s lab – night (flashback)

The man brews something in test tubes. These colors don’t look healthy.

MAN (V.O.)
(while showing the scenes)
I was creating a new medicine.

The man drinks the stuff.

MAN (cont’d)
Something went wrong. I – I don’t know exactly what.

The man transforms slowly. The jacket rips. Green dorsal fin and scale skin become visible.

MAN (V.O.)
I turned, I turned…

CUT TO:

Int. Black’s mansion – night (present)

The shadow is still there.

MAN
I turned into a monster!

Suddenly, the green fish monster with red eyes appear.

Back