• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Switch between flashback and present

If we have f.e. a scene where someone is hitting punches on the wall
and with every punch the hero, who is watching him, remembers something,
how would we right that scene?

Write* Why don't you give it a go, and we'll see what you can come up with. Remember it's not difficult, just think and write.

I wrote it like this:
(the example is hypothetical)

Everytime he sees a punch he remembers something

FLASHBACK

Under flashback I write only what he remembers. I don't switch between flashbacks and present.
But I don't know if this is the proper format.
I'm asking for the proper - proffesional - acceptable format for Hollywood today.
I can't find any info about that on internet.

If you use more than one location that should help.

INT - Residence/Playground - Day

Residence being where he is at present, and Playground being where he was at the flashback. So the reader understands that there are two different locations.

Then you write your action sequence, e.g., "He punches the wall with aggression. To every beat, he remembers that day..."

directorik haha. Actually I'm waiting for your help, because I know you are teacher on screenwriting.

indietalk that was my guess too, but I really want to know which method is the proper for Hollywood.

Quality thank you.

I don't think Hollywood uses any particular format. xD It doesn't matter if you're in Hollywood or an independent writer. A screenplay is a screenplay for all standards.

I don't think Hollywood uses any particular format. xD It doesn't matter if you're in Hollywood or an independent writer. A screenplay is a screenplay for all standards.

That's true and I've heard it from people in Hollywood on some videos. But I'm asking again, is this sure or maybe there is a preferable format for switching between flashback and present so the reader, who reads maybe hundreds of scripts every day, will not consider me as amature and throw away my script?

- come on, do you believe that your whole script is perfect and you worry for a small part?

Me: Yes :D:cool::yes:

But seriously, there is no point in not asking if someone knows if there is a preferable format for Hollywood for switching between flashback and present. But either way I'll send it for analysis before sending it to contents or agents.

I thought this might help:

Here's a question from a client that I think is instructive: Suppose you have a situation where your character recalls different scenes from the past, some of which contain dialogue, as he puts the pieces of the puzzle together. How would you format that?

In most formatting situations, there is more than one possible formatting solution that is 'correct.' In this case, you could use a SERIES OF SHOTS, SERIES OF FLASHBACKS, or a MONTAGE. With any of the above three devices, it's perfectly okay to include dialogue. I suggest a FLASHBACK MONTAGE where you identify the location of each FLASHBACK to help the reader recall it along with the character. We could call these QUICK MEMORY FLASHES if your desire is for a quick succession of images. For example:

MONTAGE – JIM’S QUICK MEMORY FLASHES

However, in this particular case, it appears that my client wants to insert entire scenes in succession. I suspect you will be best off showing as little of those past scenes as possible--just the key moment of each to remind the reader. This was done to great effect at the end of The Sixth Sense.

In the example below, I made up the content just to illustrate one possible flashback solution to my client's question.

FLASHBACK MONTAGE - JIM REMEMBERS

-- SUZY’S BEDROOM -- Jim spots a bottle of theater blood on Suzy’s dresser. Suzy laughs about it.

SUZY
Oh, my niece’s play.
-- RESTAURANT -- Suzy’s smile fades momentarily.

SUZY
Nature calls.
She leaves the table with her purse. Jim watches her follow a platinum blonde into the ladies room.

-- BEACH -- Jim notices the platinum blonde watching him from the pier above him. She turns her head. Jim shrugs his shoulders.

...And so on. If desired, you could replace the CAPPED locations above with complete master scene headings; for example: INT. SUZY'S BEDROOM -- DAY. That would be perfectly fine. You could also use a non-capped version; for example: In Suzy's bedroom, Jim spots a bottle...

Finally, you could use a different expression to identify the nature of the FLASHBACK MONTAGE, depending on your dramatic purpose. For example: FLASHBACK MONTAGE -- JIM PUTS THINGS TOGETHER.

Naturally, if this MONTAGE takes place within a scene, then at the end, you would return BACK TO SCENE.

Method 7—Very quick flashbacks

If you want to shoot some quick flashes at your audience, use the montage format, as follows:

QUICK FLASHES – DUKE’S BASEBALL MEMORIES

-- Duke slides home safe. Jubilant teammates scramble to congratulate him.

-- Duke, playing shortstop, snags a hot grounder, and tosses the man out at first.

-- Duke swings at a fast ball and watches it sail over the left-field fence.

BACK TO SCENE

If you have just one quick flashback, use the following format:

QUICK FLASHBACK

Duke strikes out.

BACK TO SCENE

Here’s an interesting question I received from another client: “I have a series of quick flashbacks at the end of a short script that reference a character’s memories of three different people. Do I create three flashback headings, one for each flashback?”

You could, but I recommend you use my answer to Situation #1 above as your guide and create a series of QUICK FLASHES.

source

Thank you mlesemann, indietalk, Quality. Your answers are in to the point and help me a lot.

I read indietalk answer. I was also had in mind the end of The Sixth Sense where there is the same thing,
but in the screenplay M.N. Shyamalan has only one flashback.

Then while I was thinking that switching between flashback and present thing,
I realized that it's not actually switching or intercutting but just interrupted quick flashes,
or quick flashes with gaps. So I guess the pure right way to write it is:

QUICK FLASHBACK

Bla bla.

BACK TO SCENE

ACTION (in present moment)

QUICK FLASHBACK

Bla bla.

BACK TO SCENE

ACTION (in present moment)

But this is boring for a reader.
I tend to believe that this is more of the directors job, whether it will be normal quick flashes or "interrupted".
I guess writer just has to stuck the flashes with a notice above, something like "as he watches..., he remembers.

I couldn't find the script.. didn't look very long.. but my favorite use of flashback was in Dolores Clayborne. they have the present timeline and the past memory on the screen at the same time together but they use contrasting colors to separate them.

Another thing you might want to consider is a projector.

The persons memories could be projected over them / over the wall behind them or whatever in real time and then change the projector imagery as the flashbacks change.

I realize I said nothing about screen writing lol

Not sure if this is even near correct... buy hey...

INT. HALLWAY - DAY

John punches the wall. He reaches back...

JERRY'S POV

...fist clenched. He punches the wall harder.

FLASHBACK TO:

(event)

END FLASHBACK

JERRY'S POV

John lets out a grunt and punches the wall even harder.

FLASHBACK TO:

(event)

END FLASHBACK

JERRY'S POV

John sobs, and with sapped energy, throws a limp-wristed punch at the wall.

He rests his face on the wall.

FLASHBACK TO:

(event)

END FLASHBACK

Back