• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

campaign Suspense, Surprises, Sassy!

This review of a cool, new murder-com, Murder & Cocktails reminds me of other small-budget movies, like Blair Witch Project ($60K budget, earned $246 million), and Easy Rider (only cost about $400K to make). But with today’s tiny cameras and more tricks, Ron Jackson produced Murder & Cocktails for less than $100K! Check out this review of the movie and how he pulled it off! https://rb.gy/agryjo Show itself debuts Jan. 23 on all major streaming services like Amazon Prime, Apple TV, iTunes, Google Play.

like Blair Witch Project ($60K budget, earned $246 million),
Plus a big chunk of money in post-production expenses in order to bring it up to necessary standards to be distributed & a $25 mil marketing budget.

The $60k number is one that gets thrown around a lot but is (at least) half untrue.

Last edited:
For EL MARACHI, Robert Rodriguez spent $7,200.00 (Yes $7200) shooting the film. Columbia picked it up
and spent $200,000 on post production, and then an estimated million dollars on marketing. The film was
the cheapest movie to gross over a million dollars....it made $2 million actually.

The entire history of film making is filled with movies made
for very little money that made a lot of money. And as Mara
points out those number are always deflated. Yes, Rodriguez
was about $7,200 out of pocket - the movie we saw was far
more than that.

Given the current cameras available (as you point out, Indigal)
I'm surprised "Murder and Cocktails" cost $75,000. It has a
huge cast but is in one location. They must have paid well.

I'm going to watch that movie!

It helps A LOT if you have the talent of a movie star, or if your friend has the talent of a star.

With a compelling actor and some elbow grease you can make a cheap movie to launch an entire career like Danny McBride

Last edited:
We allow promotion here, as long as it is posted in Promotion. Moved.

The entire history of film making is filled with movies made
for very little money that made a lot of money. And as Mara
points out those number are always deflated. Yes, Rodriguez
was about $7,200 out of pocket - the movie we saw was far
more than that.

Given the current cameras available (as you point out, Indigal)
I'm surprised "Murder and Cocktails" cost $75,000. It has a
huge cast but is in one location. They must have paid well.

I'm going to watch that movie!
Thanks so much. Appreciate your info.

Been talking to family and friends about The Thin Man movie series (1930s, 40s) and amazed at how many people know of it. That was 90 years ago! Ok. Now, a movie that’s an homage to Thin Man debuts today! “Murder & Cocktails,” is a cool murder-comedy, a classic whodunnit, set in modern-day San Diego. When a neighbor is murdered, Nick and Lana suspect the killer lives in the building. To loosen lips, and boost viewership on their livestreaming, the couple hosts parties, plying neighbors with alcohol. Will someone confess? You’ll fall in love with Nick and Lana’s magnetism for each other and their love for, what else? Cocktails! Click to preview Murder & Cocktails Official Trailer then, check out the movie! On all major streaming services like Amazon Prime, Apple TV, etc. #murderandcocktails #murdermystery #indiemovie #thethinman

Last edited:
Been talking to family and friends about The Thin Man movie series (1930s, 40s) and amazed at how many people know of it. That was 90 years ago! Ok. Now, a movie that’s an homage to Thin Man debuts today! “Murder & Cocktails,” is a cool murder-comedy, a classic whodunnit, set in modern-day San Diego. When a neighbor is murdered, Nick and Lana suspect the killer lives in the building. To loosen lips, and boost viewership on their livestreaming, the couple hosts parties, plying neighbors with alcohol. Will someone confess? You’ll fall in love with Nick and Lana’s magnetism for each other and their love for, what else? Cocktails! Click to preview Murder & Cocktails Official Trailer then, check out the movie! On all major streaming services like Amazon Prime, Apple TV, etc. #murderandcocktails #murdermystery #indiemovie #thethinman

We have a cross-posting rule (you created two threads both promoting the murder and cocktails movie) so I merged them.

I'm not directly connected, but spreading the word. My sister plays in it!
That's a pretty good connection. Who does she play?
I'm glad that so many people know the Thin Man movies - what a great
series. That's the first thing I thought of when I watched the trailer - "Nick
and Lana" made me laugh.

Back