storyboard

well im in pre-production on myshort and i cant draw to save my life is it ok do use stick figures and do it myself especially since my laptop bombed out???

thank you that makes me feel so much better bc i tried to draw but it turned out so horrible my human figure looked like a ogre a kid at the library said i drew a nice shrek lol but i will use stick figures a i attempt to storyboard this film and the army men sounds ingenious may use that too and take pics

People often forget that a storyboard doesn't need to be amazing. You're not making a graphic novel. It's great to see beatifully drawn storyboards, but it's not essential. After all, the only people who will see it are people involved in production.
As long as it indicates the rough appearance of the shot, it's fine.

As a noob, I learned this lesson over the weekend.
I created some real crappy Storyboards for each of my intended shots.

Took a sheet of printer paper, folded it in half, then half again, this left me with 4 wide screen squares. I didn't even bother with a pencil. I used a pen, I didn't waste any time trying to make it look better.

When out and shot the storyboards. Then I went off on an "inspired" tangent and took what I thought were great shoots.

During capture, I noticed that I left three storyboards sketches behind.. so never shot those, and those shots that were so "inspired" turned out to be pure junk. Not one useful moment.

However, the shots that I had storyboards for looked almost exactly as I imagined! I am now sold on stick figures and bad pen art!

Storyboards only need to be as detailed as it takes to communicate the shot.

This, for example is basic but easy to understand:
stickfigures.jpg

Back