Still trying to understand how a steadicam works

It looks like a tripod that is weighted. It looks like something that I could make myself - and I have read on here that some film makers make their own by using 5lb weights..

What I don't understand is WHY the image comes out more flowing (best word I can think of) instead of jerking....is it the weights at the bottom that somehow prevent any jerky movements in the camera?
If so, then can I apply some kind of weight (how is another question) to a tripod or monopod?

So the question is : How does it work and why?

Last edited:
I've never used a SteadiCam (nor actually seen one being used), but sure... adding weights to a monopod adds a lot of "stable" motion to it.

That can be further adjusted by how far up the monopod pole it's being held at. Raising (or lowering) the grip-point can change the center of gravity; often in small, but noticeable, ways.

So the question is : How does it work and why?

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/steadicam.htm

That oughta do it. :cool:

the reason it works is because of the mechanism in the arm... the arm is full of springs and/or pulleys which is why when the operator moves around the first bit of the arm moves with the operator while the second part keeps steady with the camera.

the reason its weighted is also to lower its center of gravity so that the natural movement of the camera is smoother rather than shifty...

thats how it works in basic...

Back