budget Star Wars fan film

Well, they are in LA... Home of upscaled prices when making a film. Chances are most of that money went into costume/FX/gear rentals. Honestly 18 to 20 minutes could end up costing around $20,000 easily. I make around 10-15 minute short films, and each time I set my budget cap to $10,000. Easy to blow through with not only gear, talent, and set construction... But marketing and distribution cost a pretty penny too.

I'm not sure by your post if you think this was a little or a lot of money for this... but you can't just multiply by the screen time to figure out the budget. It doesn't work that way. A lot of things are paid for once, etc.

if it costs $$35 K to do an 18-minute film, then it could cost $90 K to do a 45-minute episode,
A common misperception.

One could find an 18 minute film that cost $2,000 and extrapolate that
into $5,000 for a 45 minute episode.

At Our Founder mentions, it doesn't work that way. A talented, frugal
filmmaker with some connections could make a high quality 45 minute
episode of a Sci-Fi series for $10,000. So you're correct AND incorrect;
a 45 minute episode could cost $90k – but not based on the costs of
that fan film.

However, $90k per episode is a fairly good generalization for a high-quality
show made independently. "The Mandalorian" is said to have cost $15
million per episode. And they were about 40 minutes each.

I know that an episode, done professionally, would cost $2 to $5 million; I also know what Directorik has told me, very often, that a good filmmaker can cut costs, especially if he can get others to be passionate about the project.

I just wanted to know what this forum - all of whom are working professionals - think of the quality of the film, given it cost about $35 K. IOW, did he get value for his money?

The link says $25,669 was raised of 48K goal.

I still don't really get the question. Does it look like it to you? If he spent only $5000 would it change your opinion? What about 200K? I have spent 20K
on 20 minutes and ended up with doo doo so yeah looks like he got his money's worth to ME lol.

I guess you are talking about the look/fx/overall appeal technically?

The link says $25,669 was raised of 48K goal.

I still don't really get the question. Does it look like it to you? If he spent only $5000 would it change your opinion? What about 200K? I have spent 20K
on 20 minutes and ended up with doo doo so yeah looks like he got his money's worth to ME lol.

I guess you are talking about the look/fx/overall appeal technically?

I'm in Canada, so it's $35 K in Canadian dollars.

Anyway, yes, I'm wondering if he got US $25K worth of quality film. If he spent $200 million, I'd say he didn't get value for his money.

I just wanted to know what this forum - all of whom are working professionals - think of the quality of the film, given it cost about $35 K. IOW, did he get value for his money?
I think it looks great.

The stunt coordinator is a friend of mine. Tony had asked me to come out to the
location to shoot some BTS for him but I was on another gig when they shot. I
know he and his team worked for free - expenses only.

I'm sure a decent amount of that cash went to quality FX and materials/costumes. It aint cheap doing scifi, let me tell you. I'd say, as much publicity and praise the short has received, it was worth the asking price from the fan base. You'd be better off asking those who donated what they think. I think you can even go up there and read comments from the campaign to get a feel for how it progressed.

(Oh, and wasn't this fan film the catalyst to greenlight the show??? Or was that already in the works?)

Last edited:
I'm sure a decent amount of that cash went to quality FX and materials/costumes. It aint cheap doing scifi, let me tell you. I'd say, as much publicity and praise the short has received, it was worth the asking price from the fan base. You'd be better off asking those who donated what they think. I think you can even go up there and read comments from the campaign to get a feel for how it progressed.

(Oh, and wasn't this fan film the catalyst to greenlight the show??? Or was that already in the works?)

OBM,

The comments are positive on the Indiegogo page, and, on the Youtube page, they're really positive, with many saying this should be the type of project Disney should be working on. But it wasn't used to greenlight the show, because the producer put a disclaimer saying it was not affiliated with the Mouse House.

One other thing - he seems to be selling t-shirts on this project, which could be asking for trouble. A Star Trek fan project did that and was sued, and Paramount then really, really came down hard on the fan projects, effectively shutting down the major ones.

Last edited:
Why are you so worried about this guy? :lol:

Boss, I don't know what you mean by, "worried", but I don't want people to get into trouble with the law - I am a lawyer, so, as an officer of the court, I'd like to steer people in the right direction.

In terms of be interested in his fan project, I've decided not to go the fan film route but to create my own universe, but projects like this do inspire me to continue my dream. In terms of Superman, I would LOVE to get the contract from Warner Brothers to do a three-film deal on Superman or Batman ... or both.

Last edited:
You are worried about the guy if you are not steering him but "worrying" about his legal troubles on here. How is that helping him? If you want to steer him in the right direction go for it. Otherwise yes, your posts are just being worried about his legal troubles.

You are worried about the guy if you are not steering him but "worrying" about his legal troubles on here. How is that helping him? If you want to steer him in the right direction go for it. Otherwise yes, your posts are just being worried about his legal troubles.

I used to do that, but they just told me to mind my own business. That said, when they know I'm a lawyer and am warning them of legal issues, they don't tell me off, but I'm still leery of poking my nose into the affairs of strangers.

Yeah I wouldn't suggest it personally, I was just commenting on your proposal to steer people in the right direction as an officer of the court.

Back