• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Star Trek - Horizon

Hey all,

I've just released the first teaser trailer for my independent Star Trek feature film. What do you all think? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6lvauYhw70

"Star Trek: Horizon is a feature-length film set during the time of Enterprise (the fifth Star Trek series).

The Coalition of Planets, a young alliance of worlds led by Earth, is at war with the Romulan Empire. Desperate for a chance to gain the upper hand in the war, the Coalition forms an alliance with T'mar, a Romulan deserter, in the hopes that she can provide valuable intelligence on her former masters."

If this is set during the same timeframe as Enterprise, forgive me because I gave up on the TV franchise part way through DS9 so my understanding may be skewed, but weren't the Vulcans running the show at that point in time? Keeping Earth on a short leash, as it were..

If this is set during the same timeframe as Enterprise, forgive me because I gave up on the TV franchise part way through DS9 so my understanding may be skewed, but weren't the Vulcans running the show at that point in time? Keeping Earth on a short leash, as it were..

They were at the start of the show, but as the four seasons went on, the Vulcans eventually relinquished a lot of that control. There's even less of that at this point, because it takes place in 2160, a couple years after the show ended and one year before the signing of the Federation charter. So, at this point earth and the Vulcans are equal partners in the Coalition of Planets.

Looks good.

But I can't help thinking that if I saw this as an original piece I would be
overwhelmed. Just my personal bias against spending time, effort and talent
(which you clearly have) on a someone else's material.

I agree with Rik. It looks good, but why put so much time and energy into something you can never (legally) make money on? I guess that really drives to the heart of all fan-film stuff. I just don't get it really.

Well done, especially as you told it in 1:10min! Would love to see an additional 30 seconds with a bit more story described by your text in the O.P.

Good luck!

I think it's fucking awesome!

And I definitely see the value in quality fan fiction. Careers have been launched with fan fiction. And with such high-quality product, tommydawg has got a built-in audience. Clearly, this isn't a straight-forward for-profit venture; he's thinking outside of the box and I support that.

Can't wait to see it!

Thanks for the feedback, all!

Cracker Funk basically hit the nail on the head. Creating a Star Trek fan film allows me to latch onto an in-built audience where there otherwise would be none. For instance, I don't think I'd be at almost 5,000 views in two days if this were an original property that no one had heard of.

It's also a passion project for me. Enterprise changed my life in a lot of ways (it's a long story). I agree that there are pros and cons to doing a fan film, but this is also the best time for me, from a personal standpoint, to do a project like this.

I don't think I'd be at almost 5,000 views in two days if this were an original property that no one had heard of.
I dunno, with quality you've got here, it probably would.

It's also a passion project for me. Enterprise changed my life in a lot of ways (it's a long story). I agree that there are pros and cons to doing a fan film, but this is also the best time for me, from a personal standpoint, to do a project like this.
Cool. Still doesn't fully compute in my head, but if it works for you excellent. :)

That's some really awesome CG, there. Even for a Trek fan film which usually have pretty nice quality effects.

I don't see any of the normal fan film pitfalls like baggy costumes and bad acting, either. I hope the whole film is as good as the trailer, I'll definitely be checking it out.

Wow, wish i could find someone like you to help out with the visuals space ending to my film... Great job looking forward to it!!

As a Trek Nerd I must say, that was awesome! Good work.

Thank you! :) Glad to see a fellow Trek Nerd!

Are you personally responsible for the 3D, compositing, etc?

Yeap. From top-to-bottom, I've done everything so far. Sewed the costumes, built, textured, rigged, and rendered all the 3D models, wrote the script, editing, writing the music, shooting and lighting, compositing, sound design, and probably some other things I'm leaving out lol. Only thing I haven't done is get in front of the camera :P

That's some really awesome CG, there. Even for a Trek fan film which usually have pretty nice quality effects.

I don't see any of the normal fan film pitfalls like baggy costumes and bad acting, either. I hope the whole film is as good as the trailer, I'll definitely be checking it out.

Thank you! :) I've worked very hard to avoid all those pitfalls so that's great to hear!

Wow, wish i could find someone like you to help out with the visuals space ending to my film... Great job looking forward to it!!

Hah, thanks! It's hundreds, if not thousands of hours spent working on stuff and learning the techniques. A very long haul!

Yeap. From top-to-bottom, I've done everything so far. Sewed the costumes, built, textured, rigged, and rendered all the 3D models, wrote the script, editing, writing the music, shooting and lighting, compositing, sound design, and probably some other things I'm leaving out lol. Only thing I haven't done is get in front of the camera :P
Excellent. Nothing against fan films (though you can probably already tell they're not my cup of tea) but I look forward to seeing other things from you, non-fan-filmy things. :)

I'm willing to bet you could easily get some work from people on this forum, hell.. if I had a project going on that needed 3D work I'd be talking to you about your interest and fee.. ;)

Excellent. Nothing against fan films (though you can probably already tell they're not my cup of tea) but I look forward to seeing other things from you, non-fan-filmy things. :)

I'm willing to bet you could easily get some work from people on this forum, hell.. if I had a project going on that needed 3D work I'd be talking to you about your interest and fee.. ;)

Thanks! I'll have to throw together an official reel and see if anyone is interested in acquiring my services!

I also definitely am thinking about what I want to do after Horizon, and all of those things are original projects, so it won't always be fan films :)

My 2 cents . . . by going this route, fanboy stuff or not, you're going to be butting heads with fellow filmmakers to Hollywood executives over the thief, ahem, use of "non-original element" in your film projects as long as you continue to this.

You should use your talents to create your own ORIGINAL work and impress us all. Riding the coattails of other artists isn't all that impressive.

Show us what you really have.

Good luck.

My 2 cents . . . by going this route, fanboy stuff or not, you're going to be butting heads with fellow filmmakers to Hollywood executives over the thief, ahem, use of "non-original element" in your film projects as long as you continue to this.

You should use your talents to create your own ORIGINAL work and impress us all. Riding the coattails of other artists isn't all that impressive.

Show us what you really have.

Good luck.

Well, the "good luck" at the end of that comes off as really disingenuous after calling me a thief and saying I'm just riding the coattails of other artists.

CBS and Paramount have historically been very supportive of fan endeavors. There are fan films that have used Kickstarter to make over $300,000 dollars to support their production costs and never been given C&D letters.

There's nothing wrong with telling a story in somebody elses universe. Suppose I was hired by Paramount to write and direct a Star Trek feature film, would you then call me a thief? I suspect not. It's not always about money. I'm telling a story I'm passionate about and it takes place within the Star Trek universe.

Back