Sound, Support and Lights for the Canon T2i

I really need your input on three types of equipment that I am in the process of purchasing but am still too uninformed to make a good decision.

Sound: From what I read, most DSLR’s have a huge problem with sound coming from the camera, where the mic picks up sounds from the machine. From what I gather the solution resides in recording the sound externally. My question is, do most of you record the sound on an external device, completely detached from the camera, or do you use an external mic plugged into the external min camera entry? If so, what microphone do you recommend and what experience have you had with it?

Camera support:
I am looking for a good solid tripod but also a hand held camera support. I found fantastic support kits produced by Zacuto, but the price is shocking, I am talking about almost 1k for a simple support frame: http://store.zacuto.com/Striker.html
There must be a better solution out here, I am almost sure I found an agronomical support system that was around 400 usd, but am not sure where I found it.

Lighting: Finally, do any of you have alternatives to the Litepanel Micro? http://www.amazon.com/LITE-PANELS-LP-MICRO-PANEL/dp/B001W6Q4K6
Its amazing, but so expensive, but if I am going to have frequent shoots without light, can’t see a lot of alternatives. Are the cannon lighting devices any good?

DSLRs are have even more substandard audio than most camcorders, which are pretty bad to begin with.

You can use the Zoom H4n for audio recording with the Rode NTG-2 shotgun (outdoors) and the Oktava MK-012 cardioid (indoors). A mixer would be a huge plus.

You can get a great fluid-head tripod by Manfrotto for $100 or thereabouts.

Zacuto, but the price is shocking

That Zacuto thing you linked looks... well. :hmm: If you are questioning the price of such a device, I'd be wondering how often you intended to use it.

Its amazing, but so expensive, but if I am going to have frequent shoots without light

The light-panels may be great for ambush journalism, live events/interviews or the like... but what kind of filming are you doing?

Lighting is a very interesting science. :cool:

DSLRs are have even more substandard audio than most camcorders, which are pretty bad to begin with.

You can use the Zoom H4n for audio recording with the Rode NTG-2 shotgun (outdoors) and the Oktava MK-012 cardioid (indoors). A mixer would be a huge plus.

So, the Zook H4n records the audio but still needs the mic devices correct?

You can get a great fluid-head tripod by Manfrotto for $100 or thereabouts.

That Zacuto thing you linked looks... well. :hmm: If you are questioning the price of such a device, I'd be wondering how often you intended to use it.

The light-panels may be great for ambush journalism, live events/interviews or the like... but what kind of filming are you doing?

Lighting is a very interesting science. :cool:

Completely understand where you are coming from, price is relative to usage. I am going to be doing a lot of shooting outside, holding the camera, so I might be using it a lot.

Pedro,

Have you checked out the Ikan support stuff?

http://www.ikancorp.com/

I haven't used any of it myself, but I saw it the other day after seeing the Zacuto stuff.

-Thanks-

The equipment looks very very good, very much appreciated.

I wouldn't use the in-camera audio. It's pretty crappy. I'm using the exact setup Alcove has suggested (except I only have the NTG-2, not the Oktava), and I feel like for the relatively low price, I've been getting some decent sound.

For tripod, I don't think you need to spend that much. This is a very light camera. For weighted shoulder-mount, I've not personally looked into buying one yet, but I've heard that the prices are dropping like flies, as more and more companies offer their products, competition is driving prices down.

Back