• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

show more than tell

Hi,
I know in script writing we should show more than tell.
sometimes it is a bit difficult for me to show emotions .
I therefore need a book which helps me.
Pl can you tell me. I know about script writing Bible.
But I want to know it would be helpful for me .
Any suggestions and thanks

write your entire first draft of your script... then get drunk (not VERY drunk) and revise it... this will make you moody and you might be able to explain your emotions better

P.S you don't want your drunk self writing an entire draft for you.... so, when writing sober, insert a line that says "describe emotion here." wherever you want to do so.... make sure drunk you only messes with those parts of the script

Hi,
Did you think screenwriting was going to be easy?

You show emotions by having the character do something. Emotions
are fine for novels - for a movie the character needs to do something,
not feel something.
I know about script writing Bible.
If you are creating a series and will be hiring writers then a series
bible is essential. Only you know if you need one for the series you will
be writing.

Hi,
I therefore need a book which helps me.
Pl can you tell me. I know about script writing Bible.
Any suggestions and thanks

This is where it helps to have acting experience. When I write, I will sometimes imagine myself in the situation and act out that role--in my imagination or talking outloud. I often recommend that a writer
(or director) should take an acting class. The skills enhance your writing. And having to act from someone else's script also makes you more aware of what works and doesn't. I am not suggesting you need to take this from a university.

All writing comes from personal observation of others and one's self. If I need write about love, I can draw on my experience or from those around me. In order to show emotions, they need to be real for YOU. It is practically impossible to write believably when it's not something the writer believes or to which s/he can personally relate.

You don't need a book. Find someone who with the emotional experience you want to share, and let them talk about it. Observe how they talk about it. Listen to how they describe the events and their responses. Imagine yourself as your character and how they would respond. Sometimes, I will have an "interview" with my character about the segment. There are many techniques that involve 'acting' to find the 'subtext' to your character's actions. That is one way that actors will build their character from a script.

Writing "emotional sequences" is not so much about tricks as much as putting on the screen believable actions with which the audience can empathize. And to do that, the writer has to actually feel and be able to translate that feeling into words, images, and actions. Good luck.

Did you think screenwriting was going to be easy?

You show emotions by having the character do something. Emotions
are fine for novels - for a movie the character needs to do something,
not feel something.

If you are creating a series and will be hiring writers then a series
bible is essential. Only you know if you need one for the series you will
be writing.

Nope I know script writing is difficult .I had written three scripts . I had help from my online friends . Buddy Greenfield helped me a lot.
I am writing my last script alone , so I need help. I was talking about screenwriters Bible by David Trottier

I sure wish you had mentioned that in your original post. When you
don’t say what you mean it’s impossible to offer relevant advice.

A writer needs to be clear.

I am Indian scriptwriter and I have completed three scripts along with my online friends and
one of my friends is Buddy Griendfield.
I am writing my fourth script alone , and sometimes I find to show emotions is difficult.
Somewhere I read in one post that there is a book which teaches how to show more than tell
in script writng and I would like to buy this book.

Hope I am clear now.

That is not the problem. I want to know whether screenwriters Bible by David Trottier
has a chapter on SHOW & NOT TELL . I think some of you has purchased it . I would like their
opinion

Padnar, glad to help. (I've seen you on Absolute Write, I think. Asking a similar question.)

I've read The Screenwriter's Bible by David Trottier several times. When I look in the back of it, I notice the words "show and tell" are mentioned 5 times in the book, a few of them span several pages. Regardless of what you want to use it for, this is perhaps the best book on screenwriting. I highly recommend you give it a buy.

That is not the problem. I want to know whether screenwriters Bible by David Trottier
has a chapter on SHOW & NOT TELL . I think some of you has purchased it . I would like their
opinion

McKee's "Story" is probably better for what you ask. All the books suggest that you show more than tell. My opinion is for you to read a few of them, as opposed to hearing second-hand from one of us what we read. A serious screenwriter is going to have several in his collection. Trust me, different perspectives are crucial to understanding, the craft.

Some that I have:

401633_10151565402700494_603930493_23989703_2075028783_n.jpg

I used to shoot with a silent 16mm film camera. With that production criteria, I decided to write a feature script with NO DIALOGUE. It was all Show and no Tell. I still have that script - in it are a catotonic woman who won't talk, a man held captive by a creature (no conversation there) and 2 minor characters.

My suggested exercise for you, is for you to write a short script with no dialogue.

BTW, the "no dialogue" exercise is just a lesson. Obviously, you will write dialogue at some point, but you should avoid dialogue that explains (or is expository). Movies are visual and so should be the script. If it can't appear on the screen, you probably shouldn't write it. Dialogue should be minimal. From McKee's book:

while scribomaniacs fill pages as fast as they can type, film writers cut and cut again, ruthless in their desire to express the absolute maximum in the fewest possible words. Pascal once wrote a long, drawn out letter to a friend, then apologized in the postscript that he didn't have time to write a short one. Like Pascal, screenwriters learn that economy is key, that brevity takes time, that excellence means perseverance.

One example of a no dialogue short: A man lives next door to a girl. He watches her through the window. He studies her and finds himself falling for her. He puts a flower in her mailbox. She finds it and looks around.

One day he sees a boy, from across the street, sneak over and steal her bicycle. The boy turns into an alley. In the alley, the boy is accepting money from two other boys. They look behind them and see the man holding a stick. The man smacks a trashcan with the stick and points at the bike.

The girl steps out of her house as the boy returns the bike. He puts it against the wall and runs away. The girl watches him run and then looks over at the man. He casually tosses the stick aside, smiles and shrugs his shoulders. The girl smiles back.

All of that can be shown. Of course, you would add the headings, put it in screenplay form and describe in detail. You can even add a few bits of dialogue, yet the visual description will drive the narrative. Characters are usually defined by what they DO. What they SAY is secondary.

Last edited:
Back