should i quit my day job?

I know it sounds crazy and maybe because it sounds crazy I shouldn't do it. i am really committed to this movie idea and sometimes you gotta takes risks. should I quit my day job and get into this project full throttle instead of the two days a week I have available?

Get a few project in the fire.. a small one, a fun one, and your big one..
that way you feel "busy" and can make progress every week... for example, taking weeks just to complete a 2nd draft of a screenplay can be disappointing.. having other things going on keeps me "wining" and I don't stress about the 2nd draft.. because I'm editing the fire truck footage or working on a new spin of the Best Movie Ever project..

Get a few project in the fire.. a small one, a fun one, and your big one..
that way you feel "busy" and can make progress every week... for example, taking weeks just to complete a 2nd draft of a screenplay can be disappointing.. having other things going on keeps me "wining" and I don't stress about the 2nd draft.. because I'm editing the fire truck footage or working on a new spin of the Best Movie Ever project..

Getting SOMETHING going is a good idea. It doesn't have to make sense, film some random footage, put it together in a montage, add some music, but doing SOMETHING makes one feel better.

I wondered about that...that thread has gone quiet the past while (funnily enough after I put my footage):(;)
Firetrucks? I'm intrigued.....have anything to do with my "torches" comment in my speil? lol

If you're in the editing mood, Wheatgrinder, I've got an 80 page manuscript so far....wonder if you'd take a look at it :lol:

If you're going to go the route of "just do something", I have a better suggestion. Right now your working right? But you have time to shoot this documentary, at least some? Let me tell you something that I did when I was working but had free time. I researched every single local production company around where I lived. I sent e-mails out to each one asking for some kind of internship, apprenticeship, or even just to be a PA on a shoot or two. This lead to my first time on set and some connections, which lead to more and more connections. This got me to where I am today. If you have free time to shoot then maybe someone might take you on, as an un-paid worker, where you can not only learn how the business is properly done but also make a lot of contacts in the process. Maybe in a year or two you start making money working on sets and then you change your jobs. Start working freelance or for a production company for a living and then in your free time shoot your own stuff. The problem with this route is you have to be willing to sit back and listen and learn while working hard all for free for a while. Does that interest you in anyway?

If you're going to go the route of "just do something", I have a better suggestion. Right now your working right? But you have time to shoot this documentary, at least some? Let me tell you something that I did when I was working but had free time. I researched every single local production company around where I lived. I sent e-mails out to each one asking for some kind of internship, apprenticeship, or even just to be a PA on a shoot or two. This lead to my first time on set and some connections, which lead to more and more connections. This got me to where I am today. If you have free time to shoot then maybe someone might take you on, as an un-paid worker, where you can not only learn how the business is properly done but also make a lot of contacts in the process. Maybe in a year or two you start making money working on sets and then you change your jobs. Start working freelance or for a production company for a living and then in your free time shoot your own stuff. The problem with this route is you have to be willing to sit back and listen and learn while working hard all for free for a while. Does that interest you in anyway?

That's a good idea, Brooksy! I hadn't thought about that (mind you around here there aren't any big production companies, so I don't have that visible daily unfortunately, but hey, a lot of places will take someone for free in intern!

Quit your day job and catch a ride on the night shift, baby.

*Note: I am NOT implying the you become a prostitute, but rather, that you should at least keep ONE job if you don't have an income, lol. I use my two week vacation to work at TIFF and to make films and do everything else on weekends. It's tough, but I'm not homeless yet! Yay!

Wow, lots of replies. Ok well my family situation is it's me wife and me. Getting another job is always an option (easier said than done in this economy however) I am 23 years old and my film training is pretty basic. I know the basics I've had a few college classes here and there.

Asked for the movie itself: The screenplay (if you can call it that) is certainly done. Everything I know I want to do is written down on paper. It's a documentary so it doesn't require much for writing. It's true I will need funding some other way if i do not have this day job so it sounds crazy to me. Although I also hate my day job.

lord of light: Hey, what part of new hampshire you from?

Maybe I missed it earlier in the thread (I have ADHD-no joke, so I may miss stuff)

How does your wife feel about it? I will say it's a positive that there aren't kids, because they take up a LOT of resources and time(I should know ;)). Is she willing to work and support you with it financially (IE okay you not getting a job and doing this and being able to pay bills).

I know what you mean about hating your day job lol. Lets see, when I was 25 I hated my job too. I got laid off, had met someone on the internet, moved Stateside, and have been happily together for 15 years-and she supports my work provided all the bills are paid first, so she shrugs her shoulders at weirdly costumed people and cameras all around. (I've since moved back to Canada).

But yes, if there was a time in your life to do it, now that I know your age, then go for it if you've got a plan, and you can figure out between your wife working and other ways of paying the bills. I too am in the very beginning stages of a documentary-what's yours about? I'll pm you, don't want to hijack the thread :) Just like to know what I'm setting myself up for! :lol:

Quit. Jump in head first. Do it. Shoot that damn movie, do it now.

I'm a 39 yr. old former construction worker of 20 years. I've been involved in film for the past 5, both in front of and behind the camera with no film schooling.

I just shot a feature film front to back in 6 months, filmed in 7 days, with an 8K budget. It's no diamond, but it's done. It has more good reviews than bad.

If my dumb ass can do it, anyone can.

Maybe I missed it earlier in the thread (I have ADHD-no joke, so I may miss stuff)

How does your wife feel about it? I will say it's a positive that there aren't kids, because they take up a LOT of resources and time(I should know ;)). Is she willing to work and support you with it financially (IE okay you not getting a job and doing this and being able to pay bills).

I know what you mean about hating your day job lol. Lets see, when I was 25 I hated my job too. I got laid off, had met someone on the internet, moved Stateside, and have been happily together for 15 years-and she supports my work provided all the bills are paid first, so she shrugs her shoulders at weirdly costumed people and cameras all around. (I've since moved back to Canada).

But yes, if there was a time in your life to do it, now that I know your age, then go for it if you've got a plan, and you can figure out between your wife working and other ways of paying the bills. I too am in the very beginning stages of a documentary-what's yours about? I'll pm you, don't want to hijack the thread :) Just like to know what I'm setting myself up for! :lol:

My wife has been very supportive and she is willing to shift lifestyles for me. Right now I am the breadmaker while she stays at home but she is willing to find a job and support me for a while.

My wife has been very supportive and she is willing to shift lifestyles for me. Right now I am the breadmaker while she stays at home but she is willing to find a job and support me for a while.

Well, provided you've got a plan(and it seems you do), and the wife is willing to support it, then I would say do it. Just keep your head up for roadblocks! :)

Hey man, all the best to you with your documentary (working in Wall-mart is not the job to stick to anyway). I'm quite curious to know more about your documentary if you don't mind, I'm working on one myself too. It's real awesome you took the initiative to go on and make the film. Even better that you have your wife supporting you. I've met so many people who keep saying "I'll make it one day" "I'll do it soon" but none of them have really gone anywhere. I thought I'd be one of them but even with a 15hour week job, full-time school and other volunteer jobs I decided, "what the heck, better now then never."

With all that said though, even with taking classes and all, have you ever made or been involved in making a film before? Because what I learned quite quickly is a film class is not really the same as making a film. It can be quite tough, and it on those days that you really have to tell yourself to keep on going. You'll never know the end until you reach it.

Hey man, all the best to you with your documentary (working in Wall-mart is not the job to stick to anyway). I'm quite curious to know more about your documentary if you don't mind, I'm working on one myself too. It's real awesome you took the initiative to go on and make the film. Even better that you have your wife supporting you. I've met so many people who keep saying "I'll make it one day" "I'll do it soon" but none of them have really gone anywhere. I thought I'd be one of them but even with a 15hour week job, full-time school and other volunteer jobs I decided, "what the heck, better now then never."

With all that said though, even with taking classes and all, have you ever made or been involved in making a film before? Because what I learned quite quickly is a film class is not really the same as making a film. It can be quite tough, and it on those days that you really have to tell yourself to keep on going. You'll never know the end until you reach it.

I have not been involved with film per se. I have taken a few classes on basic video production in the past so i am familiar with the basics and the technical aspects. As far as what my documentary is about. Retail and the horrors of customer service. I guess you could say it is a mockumentary because it will be intended to be kind of ironic and a response to customers abuse that I have taken and that everyone in the biz takes. If you have any customer service stories and want to make a video for me like an interview i can send you the questions I ask.

I guess you could say it is a mockumentary because it will be intended to be kind of ironic and a response to customers abuse that I have taken and that everyone in the biz takes.
This is just a semantic quibble;

A documentary that is ironic, flat out funny or is edited to mock
a subject is still called a documentary. A mockumentary is a
scripted narrative that is done in the style of a documentary. "A
Hard Days Night", "Take the Money and Run" and "I clowns" are
among the first mock documentaries. A mockumentary can even be
dramatic. The most famous mock documentary is still Welles' "War
of the Worlds" in 1938.

So if you are documenting customers abuse of retail people you are
making a documentary. Even if your goal is to mock the customers.

Back