Shooting A Model Spaceship

On the bottom of this page under postproduction "The Strike Master"

http://www.cvkproductions.com/ICreator2Promo.html

And here with an unlisted link on YT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQJG3VSvw2c

I'm curious to know how much you paid for that animation, because quite frankly if I were you I would've asked for my money back. IMO that is quite poor.

I understand if you want it to look like that for the camp value, but you can get better CGI without having to pay much.

I bet there are dozens of kids (or adults for that matter) on the internet who can produce a million times better animation for you probably for free, or at the most like a couple hundred bucks or something.

Look at the clip that one poster did in an hour, it looks a million times better than the one you paid money for, and it was done for completely free.

I paid twice that.

The problem I have with kids is their lack of commitment and short attention spans. When the going gets rough kids punk out like too many independent non union actors.

I paid twice that.

The problem I have with kids is their lack of commitment and short attention spans. When the going gets rough kids punk out like too many independent non union actors.

Is that from experience? I've worked with tons of high school kids and college kids, and even a handfull of jr high and younger on some projects. My "kid" flake-out ratio is probably around 1 out of 75 or 100. Trick is to not ask too much and make it fun and enjoyable for everyone involved.

We did work with a 3D team fresh out of college on one short. They modeled a car crash for us and it was their first time mixing animation with plates. It took about twice as long as we first discussed, but the key word here is "free". All in all, even with delays it was an enjoyable experience.

When you have nothing to work with, collaborating with young or just starting "no-names" is a great way to get a project done. Everyone wins, you get work finished for usually better quality than cheap paid spots and they get valuable experience and demo work. Not everyone can do it all the time, but I cut my teeth volunteering as a teen and now I work in media. Most everyone else on our team did the same and are now full time camera ops, editors etc. If I wasn't given the chance who knows where I'd be, you bet I'll keep offering the same chance to teens (and whoever else) now.

All that said, your stuff is in the can. Wrap it up and onwards and forwards!

The spacephip around 0:20 looks awful... I can't believe you paid for that...
The space station looks better, probably because the model itsef is better and the image is darker.

I bought the space station clip from pond5 for $40 and adjusted the color and darkness with Sony Vegas.

The ship at 20 seconds is why we went for a model for Andromeda. We got lots more shots for compositing for WAY less money.

Last edited:
Back