Shock Value...

Whether you are a fan of the horror genre or not. IF you are a film maker, if you have any interest in understanding the current 'whys' (or evolution) of the film industry... especially the low budget, indie scene of the past 40 years, I have to recommend SHOCK VALUE by Jason Zinoman. The author offers some major new insight on everything from 'new' verses 'old' horror (in film) to the inter-relationships of many of our current ICONs of film.

I took a few days to break off from writing and developing my up-coming video pitches, as well as out shooting footage I need to shoot... to read this book. Yeah, I read an awful lot of everything. Fiction and non-fiction, tech and spec books... but the subject matter in SHOCK VALUE and the way it was presented was thoroughly engrossing.

I highly recommend it. Only 238 pages long. Also makes you want to go back and watch many of the classics (movies) discussed. AND. Question what was left out...

Looks like my kind of a read! Shame it's not out here in the UK 'til January. I've got book vouchers though and I've struggled to find anything to buy with them, so I guess they'll go towards this!

Thanks for the heads-up!

Bought it a couple of days after reading your recommendation, don.
Just finished it. Wouldn't have known about it without this thread.
Excellent book!

Back