• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sharing Scripts..

I see a lot of folks sharing their works on this forum.
Do any of you worry that some lurker, or whats worse, a fellow member will steal your idea or even rip your script right off?

I.E. I want some feedback but am terrified to make my script public.

I see a lot of folks sharing their works on this forum.
Do any of you worry that some lurker, or whats worse, a fellow member will steal your idea or even rip your script right off?

I.E. I want some feedback but am terrified to make my script public.

If you really wanted, you could just send it to a couple people that you feel you trust. Instead of posting it for public viewing. Just an idea.

I think if that did happen, the submission dates of when you posted it would be proof of your original idea being stolen.

Exactly.

If you're that worried about it (Which I completely understand. I am very protective of my writing as well!), then keep tabs on when you posted it. If you put it on a forum, or other public site, you could print the page- making sure it has your script, or a link to it, actually on the page- and keep it in a safe place.

Then, should you ever need to sue, you could whip out your forum post whenever you need it! :contract:

There are a lot of people who worry about that (a bunch of copyright threads have started up with that exact fear in mind). Some people do as Murdock suggested, and send to select few people. Some people just post excerpts. Some people swallow their fear and post scripts.

(the following opinion has this caveat: I'm a composer/musician, not a screenwriter)
Personally, I think you can't have too many eyes on your work. Opinions are always valid, and there's always something someone will notice that you won't (regardless of relative skill levels). The benefit for having people read your work FAR outweighs the danger of having it stolen. And, for the most part, people won't steal. Someone who steals a script runs the chance of you then suing them. Also, people who want to be writers want to do so because they have their own stories to tell. Years ago I meddled with board game design (only got one to a working prototype; haven't touched it in years but it needs more playtesting). Every resource I encountered said "don't worry about it". Protect your work if you feel it necessary (but never tell that to people you are pitching it to. "My work is awesome don't steal it" puts a bad taste in people's mouths), but a company will not risk stealing your game when they have a team full of people they pay to create games.

Now, on the other hand, an idea is a lot easier to swipe. But if you have a script about a terrorist clown, and someone else writes a terrorist clown movie, that doesn't mean you can't still make yours. If the idea is only good because it is "original and unique" (which it probably isn't) and there is only room in the world for one film that uses it, it probably isn't that good of an idea to begin with. Shared themes and elements are how we get folklore, tradition and genres, after all. I've been going through a "killer scarecrow" movie phase. There's tons of them, and they're never good but I love them all. Weird niche? Absolutely. But the more movies that use that idea, the more it becomes a sub-genre rather than just one "unique" film. I could bring up more parallels, but I'm mentally leaning on my music experiences, so for the sake of relevancy, I'll consider the point made!

Bottom line, it's up to you to decide if you want to post publicly. But DEFINITELY get as many people to read it as possible; that's how we learn and grow!

A member here once posted something to the effect that stolen scripts are largely a myth. I'd like to think that that's true. For one thing, the last thing production companies want to do is get caught stealing. And hasn't it been posted here somewhere on I.T. that that's one of the reasons why some companies won't accept unsolicited scripts...to avoid even the appearance of impropiety?

The fact is that there are unscrupulous people in the world. And they do steal.

This may be wrong, but if you do have a great, let's say a fresh idea, then you might want to avoid posting it on a public forum, especially if you're hoping to sell the screenplay that uses that idea.

On the other hand, while you cannot copyright an idea, you can copyright whatever it is that you create with that idea, like a script. So, while it is said and written that you should register your screenplay with the WGA or with the government, technincally, if I understand contemporary copyright law enough, the moment you write it down, sculpt it, paint it, photograph it, etc, then it's copyrighted to you. Thank God, that's how it should be. The lawmakers got that right, at least.

I like what Heather suggested. That's a lot like the advice that you mail your script to yourself. Don't open it. Leave it unopened. The post office's date stamp can be evidence.

Another factor that I hope in is this. Indie Talk is a popular place for filmmakers and enthusiasts, including professionals. You gotta wonder just how much of the filmmaking and would-be filmmaking community visits I.T. There's a lot of people who are looking for ideas and material, true. That might lead us to fear sharing. But, when you publish your screenplay or video here, it is witnessed by that community. And, if I am not mistaken, it is also published. Just because it is published on the internet does not make it not really published, I hope. I think you'd have to have some very large balls indeed to outright steal a script published here. Of course that doesn' t mean that there aren't thieves around that have balls that are indeed just large enough to steal anything regardless of the risk, especially when we're talking about the ever corrupting quest for money, status, etc. My point is that I hope that there is some protection in this being a community, even if it's largely a community of strangers. When you publish something here on I.T. or somewhere like it, there are all those I.T. community eyes watching. And that, at least, could amount to something like a neighborhood watch. If some unscrupulous piece of scum steals something off of it, then hopefully there will be an I.T. communty worth of witnesses, at least of those who read the screenwriting forum. ;)

But you know, you write that you're terrified. That moves me to suggest that you do not post a screenplay...for now. At least, you may not want to post the screenplay that you hope to sell for six figures, or whatever. Why not post something more, well, less precious to you. Life is too stressful as it is. Why torture yourself? Read some more advice and input from members. Think it over. Give it some time, if need be. If and when you feel you have reason to not be terrified, then post. I know from recent personal experience that it can be very helpful to get feedback and guidance here on I.T.

Last edited:
Ideas aren't even a dime a dozen.
A bazillion good intentions and fleeting thoughts are worth exacty one mouse fart.

A well executed screenplay with compelling story someone else is willing to spend $Xk or $XXk to produce are unfortunately too few and far between.

Ever notice how many writer/directors there are?
Anyone with any brains knows screenplays don't sell fer sh!t because all the director wannabes are developing their own ideas into film.
Writer wannabes keep thinking there are oceans out there of producer/directors filled to the brim with filming talent but devoid of creative talent.
The delusionists think those with the resources and materials to produce their ideas penned to flash drive should bow and submit.
Pfft.

Someone needs to watch ZOMBIE STRIPPERS and wrap their brain around the difference between "Waiting for High Concept" and "Dudes with Equipment and Idle Hands".
File:Zombie_strippers.jpg

Dudes with Equipment will always win.

No one's got time to steal your idea because everyone's too busy working on the three or four dozen ideas they've already got - without any of the legal hassle stealing your idea would expose them to.
Screwit.
Writer/directors have their own ideas.

Feel free to post away.
Ain't no one gonna take it.
Everyone's too busy, already.

Last edited:
Zombie strippers isn't worth the time it takes to add it to the Netflix Que.. let alone the time spent watching it..

.. that being said - I've seen it.. so.. you know..

I do not worry about my scripts being stolen. They have been read by librarians, actors and other filmmakers during read though(s) plus many friends that actually WANT to read my scripts! Yes, they really want to read 'em.

When the script is close to final polish I copyright it. By internet takes little time and only $35.00.

My scripts are extremely unique. Very well written. They have my style (choke). Largely due to all those that have put in comments and suggestions. I do not worry about someone stealing one of my works. Right now I have two polished scripts up at Amazon Studios. I plan to put up one new script every month on the 24th with the hope that someone with clout will actually take some time and read what I do. The goal of a writer is to make the work the best it can be then get the work read. I have slaved on my scripts for over ten years. I am just now getting them out there for public consumption (and sales).

I can only back up what I say by giving you examples -- so, if you have the time -- check Amazon Studios out. I am listed as Don L. Patterson (just as I am here) -- easy to find...

Quit worrying about theft, 95% of the scripts I've read are not worth stealing.

And Zombie Strippers... had it on my computer screen while working on something else (MacPro) -- not even good eye candy...

Back