Sharing ideas?

Have you ever had an idea for a movie/short that you thought was so good you didnt want to discuss it on here/with anyone?

Totally curious as ive seen alot of people discussing their ideas for film/shorts on here and I thought, how gutting would it be if somebody who is much more able/set up to film something just took your ideas? Any examples of that happening?

Seems to me like generally everyone has their own ideas on here, and just give advice on other peoples but that just occured to me, wonder if anyone else has been the same?

Keir! :)

Iv said before that ideas are easy and cheap.
Its execution that is hard and expensive.

depending on how far you abstract it, no idea is 100% original. Boy meets girl, Iv seen that movie, aliens invade the earth, seen that one too... at their core stories are normally about the same types of things.. its the details, and the execution of that makes it unique, and since you are a 100% unique person your execution of an idea vs mine will be very different. Some folks worry that they have a special "hook" that makes this idea so much greater, you can keep those secret and still get good help with the generalities of your film

That said
most here have more ideas then time or resources... most are not looking for ideas, there looking for help with the ideas they already have. It can be very stimulating though and many times one persons idea will lead to someone riffing (taking it as a base and then tweaking it into something new) on that concept. Frequently these goes nowhere other than discussion on the boards.

The only reason Iv held anything back is that I want my friends here to be surprised, but thats just me!

Yeah to get ideas you just let your mind go. You must shoot the little monkey in your head who tells you: Oh no that's crap and just continue flowing until you have something. Write down a brief outline so you don't forget it. Countless times I've been in my bed before sleeping and having what I think would be THE killer idea, and next morning it's gone. So keep a journal in which you can write this stuff.

Anyone can have your idea I'll second one hundred percent what wheat said

There are 7 basic architypes of a storie:

1. The quest
2. The voyage and return
3. Rebirth
4. Comedy
5. Tragedy
6. Overcoming the Monster
7. Rags to Riches

Everything else is just details

Have you ever had an idea for a movie/short that you thought was so good you didnt want to discuss it on here/with anyone?
Always.

I have never discussed any of my ideas or my scripts with
anyone on a public forum. Not because it's so good, it's just
not the way I write.

I do not want other peoples ideas to influence mine. My script
in my script.
Totally curious as ive seen alot of people discussing their ideas for film/shorts on here and I thought, how gutting would it be if somebody who is much more able/set up to film something just took your ideas? Any examples of that happening?
I don't know of any specific examples, but even if it did happen
what would be the downside? If you are not able/set up to film
something why would it be bad if someone who is ran with an
idea posted here? Even if you are able/set up to film something
and someone else did it too, what problem is there?

The vast majority of movies made never see anything other than
self distribution or no distribution at all. So two movies made by
two different filmmakers in different parts of the world would never
even know the other existed. And each movie would be so different
it would be difficult to tell they were based on the same idea.

In my opinion, far from being gutting, it would be fascinating to see
what different filmmakers would do with an idea.

Back