Self distribution

Hey !

I completely new to this forum and also completely new to film making ! And as a newbie, even if I haven't done anything significant for the moment, just some shorts with friend to learn a bit, I am wondering about distribution...

What do you think of service like www.caachi.com or www.createspace.com for self distribution ? What are the main advantages/drawbacks ? Is it effective ? Does this really simplify the process of distribution ?

Thx in advance for your answer.

I was hoping to catch a glimpse of your movie House of Poets on youtube to no joy. Just would love to check it out especially what you were able to create for under $500.

Where can I see a glimpse of it?
Where is your coffee shop - if you are allowed to post it.

This distributor keeps half the money
Industry norm is for the distributor to keep only 25% + recouping of fees (or a flat 30% with no fees). For as much money as you put into making a movie would you really give a distributor 50%? If so then I want to be in the distribution business - not the costly filmmaking business!

when you were offered a deal by these distributors (I guess that is much the same as an agent)...would you have been completely obligated to them? Would they have been able to distribute your movie to a wider audience than you would be able to yourself?
Contracts are negotiable. A lot of these distributors only wind up selling your DVD online.

I am realy enjoying the chat...by the way thunderclap can we have the link of that page which you mentioned about filmmaking mag?
By the way no one told me whats the detail of getting royalty from websites like netflix and amazon? someone mentioned the royalty issue but didnt gave the details.

Regards

Last edited:
I am realy enjoying the chat...by the way thunderclap can we have the link of that page which you mentioned about filmmaking mag?
www.filmmakermagazine.com

By the way no one told me whats the detail of getting royalty from websites like netflix and amazon?
This would be commission, not royalty, and you can set your own selling price. Check the sites out, all the info is there.

We used to go through a distribution company, but recently have decided to self-distribute our last two features due to the horrid DVD market and unappetizing offers by companies...

The way we are doing it is through our own website, through Amazon, through Myspace, and through constant friendly internet press barrages. If you want to get serious about a production company, and you plan to self-distribute, I highly recommend you get your own domain name, and sell through that first and foremost.

Good luck.

Hi indietalk.i know this site but i mean i want the specific page.....which was mentioned by thunder clap

It's Filmmaker Magazine, Volume 17 Number 2. The cover story is about Urban Remedy. It's on Page 112.

M1chae1 sounds like he made his decision, and I'm leaning towards self distribution for my next project as well. We're still a year away from release so I'm going to be watching the self distribution scene very closely.

We used to go through a distribution company, but recently have decided to self-distribute our last two features due to the horrid DVD market and unappetizing offers by companies...

The way we are doing it is through our own website, through Amazon, through Myspace, and through constant friendly internet press barrages. If you want to get serious about a production company, and you plan to self-distribute, I highly recommend you get your own domain name, and sell through that first and foremost.

Good luck.
How many units (or paid downloads) do you get through Amazon, through
Myspace, and through constant friendly internet press barrages?

I'm trying to get a feel of the earning potential of self disrtibution.

Last year in 2008 CD sales in "non-traditional" stores reached 25% (of all CD sales). Non-traditional means mail order, internet sales and digital downloads. In 2002 is was only like 3%. Recently it's been growing by about 6 or 7% a year, so in 2009 I expect non-traditional store CD sales to be about 31% of all sales! iTunes and Amazon account for the vast vast majority of Internet sales of CD's.

Now moving on to DVD's... Look at all the DVD rental stores that are closing. The same thing is happening to DVD's that happened to CD's. Very soon the only places that will be selling the bulk of DVD's will be the mass merchants like Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc. But they only carry "the hits". With over 4,000 movies made every year you are facing an uphill battle to actually get your DVD into stores. So what's the point in signing with a shady distributor that wants to lock you into a 10 year contract, recoup their fees, and pocket 50%?

Keep in mind that if you sign with a distributor your DVD is gonna be way the hell OVER priced around at least $15.00 plus $4.00 shipping. People just are not paying that much for low budget indie movies. Cramer talked about this on mad money. The only way to lower your price to a reasonable level is if you eliminate the middleman (traditional distributor) and sales agent. Price your DVD at $13 to $15 during the first month of the release then you need to quickly lower it to $10. After a year $8.00.

Also don't underestimate the possibility that a traditional distributor might go bankrupt or just rob you. In these tough times it can happen. Some distributors are just plain thieves. I won't name names. Some have been mentioned by others. There's all kind of carnage as far as CD distributors going out of business. I believe that DVD distributors are next in line now that all these DVD stores are closing and the shift is moving to non-traditional sales.

I read the Filmmaker Mag article. Thanks for the tip. The theme in that article is that traditional distributors aren't doing much with people's films any more. With such grim sales numbers, more filmmakers are going solo. It's the democratization of media distribution. Once non-traditional accounts for 50% or more, then the playing field will be even more level. I've done about 98% of my DVD sales via my home page and orders via ccnow.com (although I have a huge email list that most filmmakers don't have). You keep about 92% of sales with ccnow, which basically is a 3rd party credit card processor.

Last edited:
How many units (or paid downloads) do you get through Amazon, through
Myspace, and through constant friendly internet press barrages?

I'm trying to get a feel of the earning potential of self disrtibution.

I don't do our books, but I can tell you our last film BEYOND THE DUNWICH HORROR just sold-out of our first batch of 1000. So, we ordered more. I think it's been for sale for about 8 months. It looks like we didn't even go through Amazon for this. We had a few great Fango press articles, and a lot of internet barrages, but I can't tell you the exact methods. Consequently we are selling DUNWICH for $19. From reading one of the posts above, that sounds like it's grossly overpriced...but hey...it obviously was THAT overpriced! :)

I think because we have a Lovecraftian theme, we are lucky enough to get good traffic with that one. The previous 6 films were distributed by Pop Cinema (some sold outright--at a time it was actually worth it). Our most recent feature (premiering April 10th) is going to be self distributed...which is how we plan to keep it until the market evolves into what it wants to be.

Good luck guys and gals.

Last edited:
M1chae1

It sounds great that your 1000 copies of your movie…and wish you the best. By the way as you said “We had a few great Fango press articles, and a lot of internet barrages” so can you please explain what do you mean by Fango press articles? I mean did you paid for those articles to get published? Or were they interviews taken the will of magazine admin???

By the way the thread is going great

M1chae1

It sounds great that your 1000 copies of your movie…and wish you the best. By the way as you said “We had a few great Fango press articles, and a lot of internet barrages” so can you please explain what do you mean by Fango press articles? I mean did you paid for those articles to get published? Or were they interviews taken the will of magazine admin???

By the way the thread is going great

Mike Gingold of Fango mag is a fan of the director. From time to time he will hook Richard up with 2-4 page spreds of his latest feature, as well as talk-up his future projects. Sometimes he even lets Richard himself write the article.

Also, we have several staff writers for Fango online who love to post updates on what Scorpio Film Releasing is doing. This allows us some nice attention directed to our homepage, as well as our Youtube trailers and what not. It is because of Fango online that we have over 1000 hits a week for our newest trailer. Here is an example of the press we get by Fango from time to time:

http://www.fangoriaonline.com/home/...n-of-that-premiere-non-work-safe-trailer.html

Also, historically for past films Mike Gingold has come out to our NYC premiers sometimes. It's good to have a fan in one of the top staff writers of Fango.

Of course let's be real here...Fango is Fango. They cater to the horror fans. I would like to see our films get attention elsewhere as well. I'm hoping it's just a stepping stone. Yes the director does a lot of horror...but he is branching out to action/comedy with NUN OF THAT, and I'd like to see us go even further. And honestly, I know what we have...in the end it's still a low-budget film with only a few known "c" name actors...I don't have delusions of grandeur for the films future...I only have high hopes. Things are different now'adays...with viral video and internet streaming...so we'll see.

Thanks for the questions. Forgive me if I'm unclear or bobble-headed...I'm home sick today.

Last edited:
Read most of the threads

Hi,

I have read most of the threads here and maybe I can be corrected but it still seems like a financially unrealistic avenue to go self distribution. I did it over a year ago on a project and to generate sales of any significant amount requires tonnes of energy and when you do the maths it still seems that your coming out with about 50c per hour from promoting, packaging, making etc. etc. I still sell some DVD's on www.fightorflight.tv (Maybe some constructive critisism would be good) however, I had to stop putting so much energy into it as I was making very little for the amount I was doing and my focus as a filmmaker was being diverted into self promoting my last film and thus becoming a websales promoter.

Is part of getting a distributer not also about getting your name out as a filmmaker? If you manage to get 1000 sales over 8 months, thats only 1000 people viewing your movie when a distributer might get it into several different territories i.e. Australia, NZ, UK Canada in all the various different outlets DVD sales, VOD, TV etc. achieving a large audience and a reputation from the point of being a filmmaker?

I'm not knocking anything here but I've been there and it seems like a big pain in the ass for the most part !!

Ireland,

It IS very hard to self-distribute, and do it properly. It takes a TON of time to make the profits people dream about...but that's not going to happen with indie film. Unless you have the next Blare Witch, your film isn't going to make you millions--not to mention, Blare Witch came around when the market was still thriving. The good thing is, self-distribution doesn't NEED to be that time consuming. You simply have to put your film up for sale, spend a little time every day online creating buzz for your film--hopefully you have a high quality teaser that helps your cause--and set up screenings in indie theaters around the nation (ones that don't cost a ton).

And sadly, that's really the only way to make any money at all. Distribution companies aren't paying squat for films nowa'days. Even if they buy it outright, they are going to give you peanuts. Unless your film cost less than $5k, you aren't going to get your money back from a distribution company. There is no money for them in your film. Even the independent subsidiaries of Lion's Gate (one of the best to get in with) aren't going to pay you that much. But hey...if LG buys your film, you'll be too happy to care.

And I realize 1000 copies in 8 months isn't a ton, but honestly, it's pretty much close to our entire budget...so we are happy. Plus we are getting great reviews online...which people read...sites with traffic see these great reviews about a movie based on Lovecraft, and they either buy it, or talk it up to a friend that does. I don't expect DUNWICH to make anyone rich...neither does the director, but we are going to make our money back and more...and that's all our team is really in it for. As long as we make enough money to shoot the next feature, we are happy. And I don't think enough indie companies are in it for that...they want to make the next SAW, gross millions, and get famous.

Basically it comes down to this--the DVD market sucks to high heaven right now. Distribution companies are hurting, and pay peanuts to desperate indie companies. If you have a little time to do the things I mentioned...then you have a chance to make your money back.

Keep in mind, all of what I'm talking about is for micro-budget films--if your film costs over 60K...you might want to get a knowledgeable producer on your side to create the buzz you need to bring in a profit. The films I'm talking about are 40K and under...and that's another thing...if you're shooting an indie picture that's costing you 100K or over, you're in a different market...that's a whole new can of worms. You probably have people doing the work for you, and they have their own headaches. It's actually not worth it to shoot a 'true' indie for that much...keep it as cheap as possible, but make it look like a million bucks...that's the trick. Make enough to support your next feature...rinse...repeat...and I don't know...find a rich lover or uncle to pay your bills. lol.

No but really...in time you'll make a name for yourself if you keep pushing them out (and they are decent). One of the reasons Richard Griffin has made a name for himself, and has been able to slowly build a reputation is because he's kicked out 8 features in 5 years...because he's kept them cheap, and didn't play around. Fango calls him the director that never sleeps...are you willing to do the same? I will be honest...he has help from his partner, so on top of his previous movies profits (when the market was good) and his current partners support, he's able to devote himself fully to writing, directing and editing his own pictures.

Last edited:
Traditional distributors aren't doing much with movies anyway. Often times all they wind up doing is just selling your movie online. So what's the point? Anyone can do that on their own with the non traditional distributors like FilmBaby, Amazon, CreateSpace, FlickRocket, etc. With traditional distributors there's a high risk of never getting paid in full. Based on my experience I'd say more than 50% of distributors screw their vendors over by not paying to one degree or another.

I'd say that selling 1000 DVDs is quite good in 8 months -- especially if they were sold through the movie's website. I'm happy to see that there are so many filmmakers who are going the self-distribution route. My film "BAZOOKAS: The Movie" has only been available for 4 months but I have high hopes. I still know lots of people who would sign with ANY distributor -- they don't seem to understand that they will never recoup their money.

I currently have BAZOOKAS on our site (www.bazookasthemovie.com), FilmBaby, Amazon Advantage, Amazon Merchant, and CreateSpace for downloads only (60 day set-up wait!). I plan on contacting IndieFlix and a few others that get traffic soon.

I think the big key is generating press and web traffic. If people don't know about your movie they aren't going to buy it. The good news is that there isn't a huge rush and I completely control the film.

Mike

The chat is really getting interested i think 1000 copies in 8 months is great. It means on average 125 copies a month selling by your own self..thats great. By the way i just have a question sites like FilmBaby, Amazon Advantage, Amazon Merchant, and CreateSpace do charge any upfront fee? or they cut their charges after consumer has taken/downloaded etc a copy???

Amazon charges $30 a year per title and they pocket a whopping 55%. Quite a rip off. Make sure you jack up your price with them. When digital downloading of movies finally becomes more accepted with consumers then expect to pocket more than 45%. Amazon pockets MUCH less with digital downloading of CD's.

Back