• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Save The Cat - Short Film?

Hey guys, i need some advice. I just picked up "Save The Cat" and am starting to read it. As im reading it states on tips and tricks on writing a feature length script. Am i able to use these techniques and turn it into a short film? Or their different methods?

Supporters of "Save the Cat" methodology will tell you that their methods apply aptly to ANY script of ANY length. You just have to do some conversion math, or something. Personally, I think it depends on how short your short is. Regardless, good purchase, you should definitely finish the book.

I love that book. Pity that Blake Snyder passed away recently.

Instead of a 110 minute feature, you could calculate for a 10 or 11 minute short. You would show the Opening Image and Set Up the story in the first minute, break into Act 2 at 2½ minutes, establish the B Story or Plot, have Fun and Games 3 - 5 minutes in, followed by the Midpoint. Then, Bad Guys Close In at 5½ - 7½ minutes, followed by All Is Lost. Break into Act 3 at 8 - 8½ minutes and have your Finale, followed by the Final Image.

That's my take on it. :lol::D:yes:

It is an awesome book! Short, to the point and funny as hell.

"And screw MEMENTO!"

- Blake Snyder

Ha ha ha! You don't have to agree with everything in it, but it will make you think about what you are disagreeing or agreeing with. You can definitely use it as a blueprint.

I love that book and also have the software that helps you build your Beat Sheet. What a fun and awesome read. Scoopicman has done the math, you should be able to make your short with this approach.

One of the greatest things I took from that book is how to write a scene. How to summarize your target on a single card. Excellent stuff.

I had no idea that Blake had passed away. I learned so much from him.

A 5 to 10 minute film is something I always compare to a joke. You
want the set up, the story and the punch line. This works even
with drama, thriller, horror, etc. A good ending (the punch line)
is even more important in a short than in a feature.

Since the “one page, one minute” standard really only works for a
feature length script, I’m not sure that a page count for a five
minute movie would be very accurate. But Scoopicman’s breakdown
looks pretty good to me for 10 minutes.

My advice is to watch a lot of short films. Then rewatch five that
worked for you and five that didn’t. Study why.

Back