Russel Crowe is the best actor to ever live.

Heath Ledger should be on the list just for the job he did on Dark Night. He was amazing for that roll. I think Sam Worthington is going to be a huge star now that he did Avatar, Terminator Salvation, and Clash of the Titans. I think Sam has a great presence in the films and my be the next huge thing for some time.

No way! His accent travelled backwards and forwards in Avatar. Clash of the titans was dreadful. Ledger was superb in TDK and also Brokeback. Still don't think anyone can come close to Day Lewis and Chaplin.

No way! His accent travelled backwards and forwards in Avatar. Clash of the titans was dreadful. Ledger was superb in TDK and also Brokeback. Still don't think anyone can come close to Day Lewis and Chaplin.

Whoa! Your first post! Comin' in strong!

*sigh* Jxd, I swear...

Whoa! Your first post! Comin' in strong!

*sigh* Jxd, I swear...

Yeah in fast! I just remembered some argument I had with this guy who had just seen him in Avatar and was trying to tell me that he was already better than Chaplin. Drove me mental so all my feelings just came flooding back! He will do well but won't ever be a good actor, an action film type of guy. Fair play to him though, raking it in.

I was not saying Sam is one of the best ever just that I think he is good and is going become even a bigger star down the road.

Yeah your right he has just done the biggest film ever so I guess if he does a sequel his popularity will go through the roof. He did do a damn fine job though in Avatar bar the wandering accent.

Thoughts on this, just for fun:

Re: Oldman - definitely one of the best of all time. I'm hard pressed to find an actor with as much range and ability to completely disappear into his roles. I've been trying to get my friends to come together and all of us dress as a different Gary Oldman for Halloween. Would be epic group costume fun.

Re: Gordon-Levitt. He was a pleasant surprise in Inception. My gf tells me he was excellent in "Brick", which I have not seen for some inexplicable reason.

Speaking of Inception, had to IMBD Tom Hardy to figure out who he was. I thought he was awesome in that role. Funny thing is that I thought he and JGL totally upstaged DeCaprio and the Juno girl in that film.

Re: Sam Worthington. I need to see him in a non-action role or three before deciding on his chops. That and I didn't see the other stuff listed.

Re: Day-Lewis, right there with everyone else.

This one for the newbie: Buster Keaton > Charlie Chaplin. ;)

Oh and while we're on silent era greats, let's throw this one out there just for fun: Lillian Gish. :D Love her performance in "Night of the Hunter." A perfect foil for Robert Mitchum's insane "preacher."

Another of the early greats: Eric Von Strohiem. Amazing work in the "Grand Illusion" among other things. :D

Okay, I think that derails this thread far enough.

Re: Oldman - definitely one of the best of all time. I'm hard pressed to find an actor with as much range and ability to completely disappear into his roles. I've been trying to get my friends to come together and all of us dress as a different Gary Oldman for Halloween. Would be epic group costume fun.

Re: Gordon-Levitt. He was a pleasant surprise in Inception. My gf tells me he was excellent in "Brick", which I have not seen for some inexplicable reason.

Speaking of Inception, had to IMBD Tom Hardy to figure out who he was. I thought he was awesome in that role. Funny thing is that I thought he and JGL totally upstaged DeCaprio and the Juno girl in that film.

Re: Sam Worthington. I need to see him in a non-action role or three before deciding on his chops. That and I didn't see the other stuff listed.

Oh and while we're on silent era greats, let's throw this one out there just for fun: Lillian Gish. :D Love her performance in "Night of the Hunter." A perfect foil for Robert Mitchum's insane "preacher."

Another of the early greats: Eric Von Strohiem. Amazing work in the "Grand Illusion" among other things. :D

The newbie thinks Chaplin>Keaton! Don't get me wrong, I like Keaton but City Lights and The Kid are two of the best films I've ever seen. Then again The General from Keaton was very good but IMO not in the same league as City Lights/The Kid. Chaplin all the way I'm afraid!

I still think overall Chaplin is the greatest but in terms of sheer acting ability and diversity of roles Day Lewis is in a class of one. I have watched every single one of his films and he is spell binding in all of them. But the American media have such influence and bias towards their American actors you would be forgiven for thinking De Niro/Pacino/Brando etc. For me those guys are in the second tier with Day lewis in the first. The greatest actor ever for me, although Ben Barnes is hot on his heels...

Your gf is 100% right about Brick. It's a stunning example of how hardboiled stories still can be made.

Russell Crowe does not have the range like some great actors. He reminds me of Julia Roberts...Same character different film

Back