• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Rewriting

Is anyone familiar with re-writing strategies? Obviously you can write the second draft from scratch without looking at the first draft. Or you could just take the first draft and change it according to instinct or feedback.

Does anyone know of any other strategies?

I think its a good idea to watch couple of movies, have couple of drinks, take couple of days off after first draft and then read it. Then some of the portions of the first draft really look lame. Then try to completely rewrite that stuff and the rest of the stuff which you think needs little tweaking, do that.

Rewriting is never done as either completely rewrite or completely tweak the first thing. So far I did mix and match of both in all the rewrites and it works for me.

Wish you luck.

Rewrite strategy...

Is anyone familiar with re-writing strategies? Obviously you can write the second draft from scratch without looking at the first draft. Or you could just take the first draft and change it according to instinct or feedback.

Does anyone know of any other strategies?

I can tell my own strategy...

My first draft is known as the VOMIT DRAFT i.e., I loosely outlined the story according to my structure and started writing until I finished.

Once that first draft is completed, I put it aside from anywhere to a couple of weeks to a month.

Then I pull it out AND MY STRUCTURE and start hammering and tweaking it into a viable screenplay with a good solid structure.

As I've said before in other threads, I like to let my characters DIVERT from the plan... The plan or outline -- beat sheet -- whatever you use -- is simply my road map. It's there to let me know that I do have a route. However, the better one knows their characters, the MORE those characters will want to go off on their own... Do their own thing.

I want them to do that.

All throughout that first draft... Just let 'em do what they need to do. As long as you do have an outline or beat sheet or SOME KIND OF structure and plan, you will normally get your characters back on track at some point.

I go back and forth with this process until that first draft is completed.

As I said, once I get back to the draft and start the rewriting, I feel that my JOB is to FIND THE STORY within that first draft. That means shortening dialogue. Rewriting on the nose dialogue. Better visuals. Cutting scenes of unnecessary information. Combining scenes. Whatever...

I keep hammering away at it until the rewrite is complete.

Then I put the script aside again... Wait for up to a month to pull it out and USUALLY, at that point, all I have to do is fix little problems that stick out i.e., just small tweaks so that the final draft is PERFECT meaning that I AM HAPPY WITH IT and it presents well.

filmy

I’m jumping back and forth between a 40 pager and a 120 rewrite at the moment.

In one I focused on the action lines, and re-examined and tweaked them all the way through. I feel it kind of reinvigorates the script for me.

At times in the other I have asked myself “Are you in love with this character, or was she just easy to write?”

In the past I have temporarily renamed characters in keeping with the kind of character they are for the story. For example, if in the 1st draft I have a… female that is a boozer, I might rename her Tipsy Guzzlechug in the rewrite, and see if she is living up to her name and conveying it through her words and the nuances of her actions.

I might then take that same character and rename her again like in the guise of how she might see herself or name her as some insecurity she might have, or some unresolved issue. For example, maybe she is “40 not skinny”, so I name her that, and see if she is her own living proof.

It’s interesting when you find characters at odds with themselves, or the dimension of a compounded problem in that character’s life (you didn’t see before) is manifested by way of what you have named them.

-Thanks-

Hope this helps... I write the following so one will be able to grasp HOW I write. And Re write. And polish. Etc. Sorry for the length. I am a writer(?), this is a first draft of random thoughts and not polished.

First the backstory -- I am lucky (or unlucky depending on who you talk to) of never having normal brain activity. My mind refuses to go blank. LOL. I keep a notebook beside my bed because I can't even sleep without credits rolling before a dream or nightmare (I love my nightmares -- warning, I am also a wee bit different -- not mentally deranged, just different).

I will usually have the basic script finished (with notebook, memory and outlines in hand) before I place word one (I use Final Draft software) on my computer. First draft takes about 3 to 5 days. Everything rolls off the fingers like water running down a mountain in a spring thaw. Cold and fast.

Then I set the first draft document aside and forget about it. Many months go by.

I love the re writes -- so I have no problems in proceeding to the another project in progress. I do what I do. After many rewrites and my final thoughts are "great story, nice characters, fantastic plot points -- I would pay $30.00 to see this movie in IMAX", I print out a copy (with cheap ink and old paper) and give the script to my wife to read, (she is a lawyer and well versed in legal writing, has even taught such at OSU). She writes all over my (largely) white pages as she reads.

Frowns, chuckles and sometimes disgust crosses her features. Over thirty years of marriage (to her), I have learned to shut my mouth, leave the room and let her read. After several hours she returns the script with a thumbs up (rarely a thumbs down) and thousands of comments and suggestions written on every page. No white left on those pages now!

I kiss her with genuine appreciation and set the script aside and proceed to another script. Never go to bed angry with your better half.

After several weeks, (of working on other stories) I open the last script proofed by my wife. I always read every word, but take her advice fifty percent of the time. I then re write and polish. When the script feels like a sure Academy Award winner, I print out a fresh copy and take it down to my local library. I have made friends with the librarians there, all have degrees in English and Library Science and they read a lot from their book shelves. The script gets passed around with comments (they all have different colored ink pens) and suggestions. There are usually very few of either. But what is nice is that I get an over view. How fresh the idea? What famous actor/actress would play which character. Did the plot or ending surprise? Did the story hold water? Would you pay to see this movie?

I set the script aside. After several weeks I pull that script out and give it a spit polish. Then I gather former cast members, (from past low/no budget movies I have made) friends and other film makers. We do a read through (a round table read). I shut up, close my eyes and imagine what I am hearing. Every person with a script in hand will have a comment (or many). I always ask "NO BS, what do you really think?" If the actor(s) want such and such part (and they always do -- they are actors) they will give great insight to character, motivations and dialogue. I take notes. Then I rewrite and give the script a final polish.

Pay my registration fees to Writer's Guild of America and copyright with the Library of Congress. Then float the script outside of my realm for feed back and networking.

I currently have thirty-two scripts in various stages of completion. About ten of them are hands off. Eight fully completed. Five are out there floating and/or doing (what I call) the Hollywood Tour...
My one weakness -- I want to make these movies myself. They are my children and are sometimes hard to let go. Besides, I don't have normal brain activity...

There is no 'perfect' or single way for a screenwriter to work his/her art for we are all different. We all demand from oursleves/belief system(s) and our environment specific incite and needs in order to create our art. The process of sweat and determination to complete what is started is the key to success, even (I believe) if there is no financial reward or recognition in the end. I write because I love writing. I get to play GOD for a few hours every day. I get to incorporate my sense of REALITY, JUSTICE and FREEDOM on paper. To me, that's pretty cool...

Wow, this is some amazing feedback! Thanks so much. Don, I love your process - can I be you? Buddy, yours was awesome and I love the '40 and not skinny' character naming idea as much as I aspire to never be her!

I agree that the first draft is the "oh god, this really sucks" draft. The one where you just got it all out with no re-reading or anything, just get it out. I then print that draft (after letting it sit for a few days, weeks), and read it with a red pen in hand, making changes as I read. Then I put those changes in the screenwriting software, print it, grab a red pen (this is the "hmmm.. it kind of sucks, but less than it did" draft), lather, rinse, repeat.

Back