re: How to create 'old' footage?

re: How to create 'old' footage?

Hi everybody!

Im new to the forum, and it looks like a great place to bounce ideas off people who obviously know what their on about!

I'm wanting to simply shoot my film as if it were from a typical early 80's camcorder, as it will be used as 'found footage' from this time. I was just wondering if I would be better using an actual 'old school' camera to shoot it (thus giving me the aesthetics of old footage) or if I can use a modern camcorder and possibly 'watermark' the film in post production editing software to give it that authentic older look?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Cheers

Nick

If you want it really authentic, you'll have to shoot film. You can give your digital videos a good 'old-school' look in post, though. It'll take some colour grading to match the type of film stock you want, and you'll want to add some heavy grain and some scratches. Think of "Planet Terror". A lot of the aging of that was done in post.

However, be aware that if you want it to look like the film really came from the eighties, you'll need to pay lots of attention to details, such as clothing, hairstyles, furniture, decoration, etc...

Cheers mad_hatter,

Fortunately, I guess, the location is out of town and mainly shot in rural areas, which certainly helps with consistency for sure!

I agree with using film, although as its a minimal budget ... I'm not too sure how much a feature length costs on mm?

It it would make a massive difference over edited digital, then I'd be happy to re think the budget - I mean, theres going to be some pretty cool scenery really worthy of quality film, and to do it justice.

I guess as the people in the film are journalists, and there shooting scenery, they'd have some good equipment right ? - bearing in mind, this is the 80's.

Cheers

I would say if you're looking for 80's camcorder looking stuff, then old video camcorder with VHS tape it is... that will get you a real look, rather than a rough approximation. Film would be less identifiable visually speaking as the 80s without tons of $$$ spent on set design and costuming.

I would say if you're looking for 80's camcorder looking stuff, then old video camcorder with VHS tape it is... that will get you a real look, rather than a rough approximation. Film would be less identifiable visually speaking as the 80s without tons of $$$ spent on set design and costuming.

Thanks Knightly ;)

I think I'l keep it simple, and shoot with an old camcorder. I've got experience with them!!

What about the sound though? I imagine the built in mic won't produce good enough sound quality - how do you get around this when you are shooting a found footage style film? surely its not feasible to use larger external mics as well though?

don't worry about it so much. The audience will want to believe, your not trying to make a hoax video (are you?)

People are comfortable with inconsistency like that. Only a few folks complained about "District 9" and the way it moved from docu style to cinematic style. Keep in mind that the "80's" encompasses ten years of technological options, so 1980 will be very different from 1989.

Costume, set design and the way people talk and act will say "80's" more than any camera you chose.

Thanks wheatgrinder!

Well it is inspired by true events, so it will require the audience to buy into the theme. I'm happy with the costume side of things, and the sets. My biggest worry is getting a good enough early 80's camcorder, suitable for feature film use (on a limited budget!).

I know this is a bit off topic, but in terms of 'realism', can you add equally believable sound effects in editing compared to recording the sound effects in real time? i.e. wildlife noises

Thanks for the advice!

Costume, set design and the way people talk and act will say "80's" more than any camera you chose.

I have to agree with this, and to echo what Wheat has said.

The audience want to believe that your segment is from the 80's, and most, if you where to ask, could not pin-point the technological advances of the time from a line-up, as alot where either not around at the time, or where around and didn't pay attention to the steady progression of recorded image. Not to the extent that they could decipher digitally edited to the authentic, anyhow. A handful, perhaps, but the vast majority, i don't think so.

I'm one for authenticity, so, i bite my tongue when saying the above. So i would second Knightlys suggestion, has to be VHS.

Honour your material. That's what it boils down to. Do as much as you can, with whatever finalised budget you have, until there are no other avenues, or roads to take.

I imagine there are plenty of tutorials on the subject, so scout around, see what you can find. Even dig through the archives of some "Stock footage" for something similar in style, and make some notes.

Replicating the image of the 80's is very doable.

As for Sound design, it's very possible to, again, replicate a passable sound, or ambience as being authentic. Is it preferred? No, i wouldn't say so. Projects are not one-in-the-same, there's too much diversity and numerous elements to slot a sound from an "SFX catalogue" and for them to be plausable. They float on the surface, for me. I'll always prefer Foley/Sound design specifically for each project.

P.S Welcome to the community! There's alot of fellow Sheffielders' here. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome and for taking the time Papertwinproductions!

Some thought provoking ideas :idea: which will keep me going for a while.

I've pretty much got the screenplay sorted, its just (!) the logistics of getting everything together now - which I am in no way underestimating. There's still alot to be done, but I'm well up for the challenge!!

Cheers!

Thanks for the welcome and for taking the time Papertwinproductions!

Some thought provoking ideas :idea: which will keep me going for a while.

I've pretty much got the screenplay sorted, its just (!) the logistics of getting everything together now - which I am in no way underestimating. There's still alot to be done, but I'm well up for the challenge!!

Cheers!

Onwards and upwards, bud.

Best of luck!

What about the sound though? I imagine the built in mic won't produce good enough sound quality - how do you get around this when you are shooting a found footage style film? surely its not feasible to use larger external mics as well though?

You use current technology to capture the cleanest dialog you can. The rest of the '80's "sound" will come from the sound design; car were a lot noisier, phones had just started becoming electronic, a personal Fax machine was a status symbol, computers whirred. Music also plays a huge part of the "sound" of an era. Just as an example the film "Music and Lyrics" (a very cute romantic comedy) had new songs that were done in the classic, cliché 80's pop style - lots of synths, fat snares, jangly guitars.

You use current technology to capture the cleanest dialog you can. The rest of the '80's "sound" will come from the sound design; car were a lot noisier, phones had just started becoming electronic, a personal Fax machine was a status symbol, computers whirred. Music also plays a huge part of the "sound" of an era. Just as an example the film "Music and Lyrics" (a very cute romantic comedy) had new songs that were done in the classic, cliché 80's pop style - lots of synths, fat snares, jangly guitars.

Cheers Alcove Audio! That makes sense, especially as I've read recently how numerous decent features get rejected at festivals purely because of the poor sound quality. I guess its something you can't underestimate. Just to add to that point though, when you say you use the best tech available - what kind of mic's would you recommend to pickup dialogue, wildlife in HQ?

Recording dialog is a very different gig than recording wildlife, which is different from recording sound FX - different tools for different jobs.

My "preferred" mics probably cost more than your entire audio budget. So tell me what you want to spend and what you want to accomplish and we'll go from there.

Recording dialog is a very different gig than recording wildlife, which is different from recording sound FX - different tools for different jobs.

My "preferred" mics probably cost more than your entire audio budget. So tell me what you want to spend and what you want to accomplish and we'll go from there.

I see!

Well, I might have a few contacts who can sort me out with some sound and visual gear, but lets say for now, I don't.

For this project, the 'environment' sound will be more important then the dialogue sound quality itself. So I need to get clean, crisp nature sound. It will be based in rural areas, so it would be nice if the audio was at a par with the good natural scenery.

Whether I buy or rent, I'm, as you can tell, completely new to 'equipment', but I'd like to keep this side of the budget under £1000 or there abouts.

Thanks!

I see!

Well, I might have a few contacts who can sort me out with some sound and visual gear, but lets say for now, I don't.

For this project, the 'environment' sound will be more important then the dialogue sound quality itself. So I need to get clean, crisp nature sound. It will be based in rural areas, so it would be nice if the audio was at a par with the good natural scenery.

Whether I buy or rent, I'm, as you can tell, completely new to 'equipment', but I'd like to keep this side of the budget under £1000 or there abouts.

Thanks!

Pending on the date, I do know a few Sound design/Foley artists who could/would gladly help you out.

Let me know when you've solidified the dates , and i'll put you in touch.

Back