re: How to create 'old' footage?

re: How to create 'old' footage?

Hi everybody!

Im new to the forum, and it looks like a great place to bounce ideas off people who obviously know what their on about!

I'm wanting to simply shoot my film as if it were from a typical early 80's camcorder, as it will be used as 'found footage' from this time. I was just wondering if I would be better using an actual 'old school' camera to shoot it (thus giving me the aesthetics of old footage) or if I can use a modern camcorder and possibly 'watermark' the film in post production editing software to give it that authentic older look?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Cheers

Nick

one thing, you suggested that the fictional crew are professional, not hobbyist etc, so I wonder just how PRO a consumer based VHS recorder will look??.

I think spending some time in front of a TV doing some comparative analysis of PROFESSIONAL footage of the type your crew was after, captured in that time period, will suggest to you that you should shoot HD! Crazy I know, but Im trying to put a stop to this trend of "temporal bigotry" lol..

but seriously, and I may be wrong, but it seems to me that most any serious outdoor journalistic effort was probably going to be on FILM. If its remote location, outback stuff, wouldn't that require film? ENG systems from that time were likely truck based.

If you don't mind, what was the actual event that your basing it on? That way we can have at least one KNOWN quantity. Maybe someone here was involved, you never know..

Last edited:
one thing, you suggested that the fictional crew are professional, not hobbyist etc, so I wonder just how PRO a consumer based VHS recorder will look??

Thanks for the input, wheatgrinder!

I agree - and while I am looking to shoot with an 80's camcorder, I want it to be of good visual quality - the type you would expect to see in, as you say, wildlife, scenic or investigatory documentaries of that time. Certainly not contemplating shooting it on a consumer model, although could possibly be employed as a deliberate secondary camera...

Cheers!

Back