Raising funds for Small Film

Hello fellow indie moviemakers. We are Baca Films and we are trying to raise money
to make a short movie sometime soon. If you are interested in the cause, you can
check it out here.

We would really appreciate if you also checked us out on Youtube

Please make our dreams come true, there is many prizes for different donation amounts. So check us out!
Hope you like it!

-Baca Films

IcW8k.jpg

Before others will invest in you, you need to invest in yourselves.

Put what money you have together and see if family and friends will pitch in.

You can see if grant money is available, but you need to be the biggest investors in your own work to get a track record. Your resume should eventually get you work at some point.

Spike Lee had to max out his credit cards to get his first film made. There are no sure bets. Filmmaking is a high risk business. For every Spike Lee story there are many more untold multiples of failure.

You'll need to do some big marketing pushes to get crowd funding off the ground. You will have to stand out from the huge crowd of indie guys taking that route too.

As Modern Day Myth said, you should have some work around plans

I think kickstarter is a great website but not sure if it's great for filmmakers. i know some of us have done well from it. but generally speaking I am not sure the ethos of the site is ideal for film

$3,000 is a bit much for a short film.

What's wrong with making a short with the camera you have, the surroundings you have available to you with the people you know, for next to nothing?

Once your short is done and have exhausted the festival circuit, it is dead. Never to be seen again. R.I.P.

Instead, make long range plans for a low budget feature under 5 figures and practice your craft making no budget shorts in the meantime.

Good luck.

$3,000 is a bit much for a short film.

It is??? I guess with a camera, a short should cost $50.00. But many properly fan productions on the web cost between $25,000.00 and $50,000.00 per episode, and that probably doesn't include depreciation. That's my ball-park figure, but perhaps someone else can give better figures.

We've spent close to $2000 on a 12 minute short, we've also spent as little as $200. It depends on how much you're paying people, feeding people, how many days you're shooting and how many setups, locations etc... Two people talking on a bench on a sunny day in front of your house costs less to shoot than 6 people fighting CG aliens through an empty city street at night that you're paying to permit, close traffic, insure and light, then you get to do CG.

As far as OP, there are some clever parts in your pitch video, but it doesn't seem like you've done your crowd funding homework before you launched your campaign. There's a LOT of good advice here if you search. TheClapperBored.com has a good article about it written by a forum member as well as a lot of stuff if you google. Think through your perks, not in any mean way but why would I want a T-Shirt of your production company or your film? It's a hard one for a filmmaker, we're trying to think through it right now for a future campaign, but you have to offer something that someone really, really wants or have a really, really good cause or a really, really big audience.

Anyway, good luck man! I guess you didn't expect to get a campaign critique from all of us, but that's what we do haha. It's all in good spirit, to learn and help succeed.

It is??? I guess with a camera, a short should cost $50.00. But many properly fan productions on the web cost between $25,000.00 and $50,000.00 per episode, and that probably doesn't include depreciation. That's my ball-park figure, but perhaps someone else can give better figures.

Let me rephrase it: Why would one pay $3,000 to make a short when there is no hope of a financial return when great shorts can be made for a fraction of that amount with the exact same odds for a financial return as a $3,000 short?

Web episodes are somewhat different -- an even greater "investment" black hole than a one-off feature film.

Put that $10,000 to $50,000 into a feature film and you'll have at least a chance to get some of the money back, and if you play your cards right, break even.

Your money is a terrible thing to waste.

Good luck though!

Last edited:
GA, you're not a big believer in "Art for art's sake" are you? ;)

If you can afford it, GO FOR IT! But if you're going to be bumping into the people who gave money for your expensive short (now sitting on a shelf) you're gonna wish you dialed it back.

Edit add: But I can see a bunch of people raising a big chunk of change to do something that has redeeming value in other ways -- such as the preservation of culture/educational experiences on film (or even art!).

Last edited:
Let me rephrase it: Why would one pay $3,000 to make a short when there is no hope of a financial return when great shorts can be made for a fraction of that amount with the exact same odds for a financial return as a $3,000 short?

Web episodes are somewhat different -- an even greater "investment" black hole than a one-off feature film.

Put that $10,000 to $50,000 into a feature film and you'll have at least a chance to get some of the money back, and if you play your cards right, break even.

Your money is a terrible thing to waste.

Good luck though!

Directorik has been trying to drill that into me for several years now. :D

But a feature film can become a webisode, can't it? I mean, once it's made the circuit, it may never be seen again, so ...

How about a series of feature films with the same them, or, as we sci-fi fans say, in the same universe, to build up something? That said, a feature film should cost $500,000.00 to have any chance, shouldn't it?

One other thing - the people who made fan films are now going upscale into their own original productions, and one may have got the licence to do a real remake for money. So I wouldn't count the fans out yet.

IOW, the webisodes can be a good way to gain experience.

But a feature film can become a webisode, can't it?

You know, that is far more likely to work than starting from scratch and building an audience from zero..

I mean, once it's made the circuit, it may never be seen again, so ...

(I believe you're referring to feature films) With feature films you always have a sellable product -- if you put it on a shelf after the festival circuit, of course it won't make money, but if you market it, it'll bring in some money and as long as you market it, money will continue to come in. With a short, you can't sell it at all to anyone.

Let me note here that it will take a LOT of effort to earn back a sizable amount of the production cost. I'm not selling a get-rich scheme.

a feature film should cost $500,000.00 to have any chance, shouldn't it?

Some people say that but I disagree. Whether you make a $500,000 feature with sizable crew in two months or spend $15,000 and a few years with just a PA or two to make a feature, the most you can sell a DVD for is $15 bucks, and whatever the current download/stream cost is. You need to sell far fewer copies of your film to recover your expenses with the $15K film than the $500k. Social media, PR and personal hawking of your film at very little expense will work for the $15K film. For the $500k film, to make any kind of dent at all, you'll likely need to pay for some PR (advertising) and that's a gamble and you don't have the money anyway.

As for your other ideas, who knows if it'll really work. The horizon is WIDE OPEN for new ideas for film distribution to succeed -- it's going to take some smartness, risk and a whole lot of luck.If you figure it out, you'll be a mogul for sure.

IOW, the webisodes can be a good way to gain experience.

But it would be a rather costly way to gain experience if there is little financial upside. Aiming to impress festival screeners with a no budget short is a far better way to gain experience -- you'll be rewarded for it at very little cost to you.

But again, if you think you've an angle on the webisode idea that you're sure will work, don't let us stop you!

This is SO subjective and varies so much. I consider $3K to $5K a reasonable budget for a short. With only key crew getting paid, not renting any expensive locations, etc... you can make a pretty good short in that budget range. That's the range all my shorts have been in. That being said, MOST (not all, but most) of the short films you see at "top tier" festivals like Sundance cost more like $25K to $50K. My budget for the 15 minute pilot episode of my web series is $3K. I'd MUCH rather have $5K to $6K, but I think I can scrape by on $3K.

You know, that is far more likely to work than starting from scratch and building an audience from zero..

I was thinking this morning of combining my ideas - first, use the webisode and social media to build an audience, and then launch my magnum opus. This, along with going on the convention circuit, would build that audience. I understand, for Star Wars, they did hit the science-fiction convention circuit.

With feature films you always have a sellable product -- if you put it on a shelf after the festival circuit, of course it won't make money, but if you market it, it'll bring in some money and as long as you market it, money will continue to come in. With a short, you can't sell it at all to anyone.

Oh, right, I didn't know that - but Rik has been telling me to make a feature film for ages.

Let me note here that it will take a LOT of effort to earn back a sizable amount of the production cost. I'm not selling a get-rich scheme.

You ain't whistling Dixie, bubba.

Some people say that but I disagree. Whether you make a $500,000 feature with sizable crew in two months or spend $15,000 and a few years with just a PA or two to make a feature, the most you can sell a DVD for is $15 bucks, and whatever the current download/stream cost is. You need to sell far fewer copies of your film to recover your expenses with the $15K film than the $500k. Social media, PR and personal hawking of your film at very little expense will work for the $15K film. For the $500k film, to make any kind of dent at all, you'll likely need to pay for some PR (advertising) and that's a gamble and you don't have the money anyway.

Interesting. Yes, you can recover your cost for a $15K film more easily, but I didn't know you could sell a $15 K film. I guess the Blair Witch Project is the perfect example. I'd like to see hard numbers, because we're just speculating as to the rate of return.

As for your other ideas, who knows if it'll really work. The horizon is WIDE OPEN for new ideas for film distribution to succeed -- it's going to take some smartness, risk and a whole lot of luck.If you figure it out, you'll be a mogul for sure.

I've been saying that the internet would disrupt the entertainment industry, and, as Directorik will tell you, I have given myself a timeline of a decade to BEGIN filming my movie, but, with all the encouragement, I may begin my webisodes sooner. And, don't forget, there are economies of scale - if I build the sets for my webisode series, the cost per webisoide/movie will go down, though total cost will go up. IOW, if I start slow, building my capital, expertise, and audience, I will have a lower fixed cost when I start my movie.

Back