R.I.P. Roger Ebert

Long before the internet and hundreds of cable channels he was a mainstay reviewing films on the show Siskel and Ebert.

Roger gets a BIG Thumbs Up!

roger-ebert-thumbs-up-2-250x250.jpg

Man. Not only a film critic, but a screenwriter in his own right. Beyond The Valley of the Dolls and Up! (The Russ Meyer one. Actually, both are. But still.).

And didn't he write the review of Garfield: A Taie of Two Kitties AS Garfield?

Siskel and Ebert. Neither one of them are around anymore. Officially the end of an era. RIP guys.

He was involved with the Sex Pistol's Who Killed Bambi? screenplay, too, I seem to recall. :cool:

Siskel & Ebert was mandatory viewing, back in the day. Great show.

I remember a few years ago getting to putz around the ABC studios here in Chicago and stumbling across the soundstage for his show. A very surreal experience.

Truly the end of an era. Two thumbs up, dude. Well done.

One of the guys who made me want to start reviewing movies, which led to me wanting to make movies.

Ditto.

There have been exactly two celebrity deaths that actually saddened me, made me tear up a little. Michael Jackson, and now Roger Ebert.

When I was a kid, my obsession for film in its infancy, Siskel and Ebert at the Movies was a show I looked very much forward to, every week.

He will be missed.

:(

It really blew when the cancer got Siskel. Now Ebert too.

I'll post this even though the video isn't working (not for me, anyway). Maybe it will be working later. And even though David Edelstein is talking out of his @#& when he describes Siskel. I'm pretty sure Ebert himself (whom I clearly recall saying that Siskel was the most intelligent man he'd ever known) would have a few strong words of disagreement with Edelstein, if only he were around to rebuke him. Anyway.

News Hour: For Influential Critic Roger Ebert, Life Spent 'At the Movies' Ends at Age 70

And.

Siskel & Ebert .Org

Yeah totally agree and can relate to both of their influences on me, as well.

Yeah, to echo your words, Alcove, before the internet, cable, Rotten Tomatoes, all that...there were these two guys.

AP.Org: Ebert, nation's best-known film critic, dies at 70

Charlie Rose: Remembering Roger Ebert

Last edited:
I liked how both Siskel and Ebert held the studios accountable for releasing crap. They named names. They would cut some slack for indie producers who didn't have much money to begin with. Create a turkey with $100 million? They'd cook and serve you up on national television.

I will miss him and his opinions on movies. I agreed with him more than other film critics more often, I have to say. And it was a dream of mine to make my a feature film that he would review some day.

Every time my brother and I talked movies, Roger Ebert always comes up. He was our favorite film critic and the only one we trusted. When we heard the news, we were devastated. He'll truly be missed. :'(

Back