Quitting the day job

Just curious on those that have had to take that step. I'm at the point where the two just can't co-exist any longer. The combination of 18 hour days is getting tiresome. I'll be ok as far as it goes, but it's just the idea of giving up what has become a good paying job is a tad stressful. Yet at the same time, the film is not getting all the attention it deserves. Plus I'm starting to make mistakes in all aspects. I'm just curious about what some of you have done. Thanks .

If you are able to consistently financially support your needs with your filmmaking, why wouldn't you quit your dayjob? Unless you also love your dayjob...

If it is high paying, I would try and live on just your filmmaking money for as long as you can while you take all your salary from your dayjob and put it in savings. You never know when you'll hit a slump in work...

Yeah, if you have the financial means to give up your day job then it would give you more time to focus on film making. You just have to consider if it's viable at this time, if not keep throwing your productions out there and hopefully you'll be able to some time soon down the line.

Unless you're making money from movie making that is enough to live on you would be a freaking dolt to quit your good paying job.

Thanks for the imput people. TheBuck, you're correct. I guess that's why this becomes a tough decision. Decision day won't be for another couple months, but it really feels like your at a crossroads. I guess I have to make the decision based on my very real feelings that we might actually have something here. So intimidating, yet crazy exciting at the same time. Thanks again guys

The combination of 18 hour days is getting tiresome.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

In my late teens I did constant 18-20 hour days for months on end, in my early 20's it trended down to 12-16 hour days with most of the down time spent in hotel rooms; touring definitely gets to you after a while. In my 30's it settled down to 8-12 hour days - but I got a day or two off each week! It's all part of paying your dues. I even had a stretch of a couple of years in my early 40's I had to go back to 100+ hour weeks when I had to get a "real" job while getting my audio post business off the ground. Even when you're your own boss doing what you love there still lots of 12 hour days; you may have work, but you still have to work just as hard to get more work when your current project is completed. And somewhere in there you have to squeeze in time for family and friends. It's never easy. Even when you hit it big it doesn't get any easier, you still do the 100+ hour weeks; the positive side is when the project is done you get to take a few months off.

"How much are you willing to sacrifice for your art?"

Just a final thought... If you don't have major responsibilities like wife, kids, mortgage, etc. now may be the time to be a starving artist and take all those huge risks. You may crash and burn, but then again, you may reach the stars, or at least achieve a stable orbit...

I was in a touring metal band through my teens , I worked for record label shooting music videos and engineering and produucing their music in my 20's. Now I have assembled a great team and are filming all the time. I understand the joy of writing ,filming ,editing ,and releasing a film or video. Their is no joy greater than seeing people enjoy the fruits of your labor , but remember you have to eat also. Since I was 18 I have held a day job and worked around my art. My point is make sure you can live , if your films pay enough get a savings account and stock up for the hard times. Just make sure you take care of your self. The entertainment industry can be killer , but it can also turn it's back on you in the blink of an eye. The best of luck to you

Thanks,
Dr.Sik

For me, I could never reconcile the idea of not having a steady income. I've been out of work for stretches in the past and the feeling of not knowing how you're gonna pay the bills is suffocating.

It's a huge leap of faith and I wish you the best in whatever decision you make.

Your a lucky man but I would settle all your debts before transitioning. Dave Ramsey says that you should Keep three to six months of expenses in place in case you hit hard times.

I’m not sure what your goals are, but could you somehow engage the use of some form of assistant, or something?

What I mean is, could it (If possible) be better to pay someone part time to do things that help build whatever you are working towards, as opposed to zero income so you can focus on doing those things full time?

-Thanks-

I'm at the point where the two just can't co-exist any longer. The combination of 18 hour days is getting tiresome.

What job makes you work 18 hours per day (outside of filmmaking, that is)? That's reason enough to quit and get another with normal hours, as in 40 per week. That would give you time to work on your project. For me, nothing is worth the price of my health.

I guess I have to make the decision based on my very real feelings that we might actually have something here. So intimidating, yet crazy exciting at the same time.

That's funny, because I know exactly the emotions you are talking about. I felt that way, whenever I was close to finishing a feature. However, it was never enough money to quit my job and it usually took many months (sometimes years) to get sold. But, maybe you live with your parents and can afford to take time off and promote the heck out of your project. Good luck!

Back