Quick, I need some new music

Quick, in the next 15 minutes I need some new music.

Requirements:
Download from itunes
Must be bad ass with great musical chops.

Thanks

Define "bad ass" ;) But a few of my favorites all over the map:

The Church - "Priest=Aura"
Swans - "Soundtracks for the Blind"
tindersticks - "Curtains" or s/t 95
Boingo - "Boingo"
Opeth - "Blackwater Park"
Jesu - "Silver" (ep)
Frank Zappa - "Joe's Garage" (or "Shut up and play your guitar"
Oh, and Joy Division's "Closer" is one of my favorite must-haves, but it's not exactly a technically brilliant album ;)

everything in that list will put me to sleep (cept zappa, but that aint exactly new is it.. ).. try again.. no navel gazing if that helps..

Diablo Swing Orchestra's "Sing-Along Songs For The Damned & Delirious" is fun and less navel-gazey ;) I'm really digging the last Aphid Moon album (but trance is definitely a love it or hate it thing) and the last Skinny Puppy (which was 2006, so nothing new there). If you want to go more metal, Turisas' "Stand Up and Fight" is fun (anything in the folk/battle/viking metal scene is fun to listen to). And not badass in the least, but there is some damn brilliant musicianship on almost any Loreena McKennitt album (though that might head towards sleeping as well). Oh, and Coheed & Cambria's "Year of the Black Rainbow" was pretty good, for more rock type stuff (I also have a soft spot for Breaking Benjamin, but they aren't really technically great)

....yeah, I daresay you and I have very different musical tastes ;)

Last edited:
Yngwie Malmstien, black star, acoustic live

Without knowing your imagery, its hard to pinpoint, but if you want virtuoso showmanship music, look no further than the drunken master

Good advice all around, Nate and Murdoc seem to be closest to my natural taste. but I want something new, from folks Iv never heard of.. if you know what I mean.. maybe itunes is the wrong venue..

hum..

They're a cover band but you might try these guys. This is live but I would imagine they might have something on itunes??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTLBn6kLnh8&feature=related

Nightwish are fun. Blackmore's Night are also good, in a similar (though more folk-y) sort of way.

I'd also toss out Katzenjammer. They're like if Shonen Knife and Gogol Bordello decided to jam. Lots of unusual instrumentation; everyone in the band plays everything and their goal is to play instruments they've never played before. Not rock and roll type pyrotechnics, but REALLY good musicians.

Back