Question about shooting slow mo with T2i.

In order to shoot slow mo I got to change it from 1080 by 1920 at 24fps to 1280 by 720 at 60fps. However will changing it to 1280 by 720 lessen the picture quality? When I play it back through the computer it looks just as good, but will it look amateur if you shoot something in that for slow mo, then send into film festivals? It seems the best option would be to shoot at 1080 by 1920 at 60fps, but the T2i does not have that option. It looks good on my computer, I just don't want to use it, and have it look bad to others on different and possibly bigger screens.

Last edited:
Okay I'm all confused now. Will the T2i output HDMI with an RCA cord or a HDMI cord, or what?

It will remain confusing until you actually try it.

When you shoot and your camera is connected via hdmi to an external monitor, what you will see "while you are recording" is a 480 output.

Once you stop recording and then you "play back" to the external monitor, you will see a 1080 output

use hdmi cable. get this rca business out of your mind

Ok dude your killing how your always so off. Let'stry this again. 1920 by 1080 is 1080p. 1280 by 720 is 720p. You keep mixing up the position of those and that makes you look amateur, not the quality of it.

Okay thanks. Well I will see about getting the HD cord tomorrow and test it out. One thing I found out that when you put it at 670fps and want to slow it down to slo mo, a lot less light gets let into the camera, cause you have to set it to 125 shutter, to get it too look right I read. If you do that than the slow mo shots, will be darker then the regular speed shots of a scene. So I will have to relight the scene for the slow mo shots, I'm guessing.

In that case, yeah you need more light or a faster lens.

But if you're shooting wide open at 50fps and 800 ISO and it's not outdoors at night or something you need more light anyway.

Or a faster lens.

Sure. I'll do that, thanks. So this thing about the camera will only playback 1080 after it's recorded. Is it the same with a sound recorder that it will only upload like the best quality of sound, only after it is recorded?

Sure. I'll do that, thanks. So this thing about the camera will only playback 1080 after it's recorded. Is it the same with a sound recorder that it will only upload like the best quality of sound, only after it is recorded?

I really have no idea what you're asking. How can you playback or upload something without it being recorded first?

You won't notice a difference audio QUALITY wise between what you hear live and what it sounds like played back as long as you record in WAV or similar uncompressed codec. If you record in MP3, it will sound better live than the compressed recording.

If you're going to shoot 60fps, read up on what to do with your shutter speed. I just shot something this morning at 60fps. I checked on the web and some sites recommended 1/120 shutter speed. The closest setting I could find on the T2i was 1/125 and that's what I set it to.

Now it's up to the lord and my computer to tell me how it's going to all look
best,
aveek

180 degree shutter rule. Just always try to get as close to the double of whichever frame rate ur shooting at. With the t2i, ull be going for 1/50, 1/60 (also used for 24fps when dealing with fluorescent lighting) or 1/125.

Yeah I did shoot it at 125 but still dark compared to non slow mo 24fps shooting at 1/50.

Well, obviously.

You need more light to be able to shoot slo-mo than you do to shoot 24fps, that's just an unescapable fact. Once you've got enough light to shoot at 60fps, you can go back to shooting 24fps and stick an ND filter in to allow you to shoot at the same f-stop and ISO despite the shutter speed changing, giving you a consistent look between shots.

Back