• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question about Editing: WARNING - SCARY CONTENT

Hey guys,

Watch this video (don't have your volume turned up too loud):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbJsLSxCuoQ&feature=related

I just saw this piece of s*** you-tube video and it scared me more than most horror flicks I have seen.

Why...?

Can someone tell me why this is so god damn scary?

Is it editing? Is it the sound? Is it the combination of both? Is it because the thing starts out crawling at first? It's just so scary to me and I want to know why so I can use that technique in my own stuff.

Easy.

It's easy to startle someone. That's what this video does.
Stand still, in a doorway in the middle of the day. When
someone walks near move quickly and yell. You will startle
that person. You can do this on a crowded street in broad
daylight. Sit on a bus bench. When someone sits next to
you wait a few seconds then jump up and yell. You will
startle that person.

If at any point in your movie you make a sudden, loud noise
you will startle your audience. That isn't necessarily good
editing or even a good scare. It's simply the unexpected
startling someone. It's very easy to do.

Ha!

Its scary because the chair starts moving, you have no clue what to expect, your staring at the chair and then the thing that looks like the girl from the exorcist comes right at eye level. It crawls so fast its hard to track with your eyes. Ill be honest the reason most movies aren't scary is because you know what to expect. If you know theres going to be something jumping out at you, its a lot less scary then if you don't. To me movies are all about expectation before you even go into the theater, or sit down on your couch with the popcorn. If everyone says this movie is the greatest piece of film you have ever seen, then your going to be expecting greatness and if its not your going to hate it, even if its decent. In this I really wasn't sure what to expect and it made me jump a bit, got the heart pumping.

Hope that helps, little bit of a rant, sorry about that!

Yeah - I love how Rik puts it.

"If you step on someone's foot, you will hurt them and they will react".

I guess this video just banks on people not expecting what happens.

What amazed me most about this video is that the comments didn't turn into a flame-fest like they usually do on any type of video. They are routinely "You scared me" "Wow, that scared me" "Wow I S*** my pants" etc.

Anyway, thanks - question answered. You can probably delete this thread for all I care.

I guess that's why like in Halloween and Friday the 13th there's always that cheesy stinger 80's synth sound that blares really loud the moment the dead body falls out of the closet? Same concept, right?

Please excuse my newb question - I skipped class the day we learned "Audience Startling 101".

Last edited:
Yep. If you want to startle your audience a loud
"sting" on the soundtrack will do it.

The classic shot of the girl slowly walking down the
ally, only a low hum on the soundtrack and then
A CAT JUMPS OUT and knocks over trash cans will work.

The girl walking down the stairs of a dark house; goes
over to the window...
a) there is a face and loud sting on the soundtrack.
b) the phone rings - REALLY LOUD

I'm sure we can all come up with dozens of other
examples. Making people jump is easy. Truly scaring
them is hard.

I agree with Rik.

I was tired of this sort of "ooh, look really close" type of thing when I was still heavily using myspace. The thing about it is that it isn't scary, its startling. So is a cat in the cupboard. Its a cheap scare, like if you go to a funhouse at the carnival or haunted house at Halloween. This is part of why I stopped going to see horror films.

We started talking a little about horror films in another thread, but I can't seem to find it right now...

-- spinner :cool:

This is all no-brainer, but there is another expanded element (not so much in this, yet very much in this and kind of what Life touches upon) which is the conditioning prior to the scare.

For example like Rik says a girl descends the steps from the second floor of a creepy dark house on a stormy dark night, she walks over to a window.

Right there you could startle us (The audience) with a face in the window, but you could also start playing with our minds by framing the shots and using actions that make the girl more vulnerable.

If the window is favored in the framing of the shot then tension begins in us, like “Oh man there is going to be a flash of lightening and a scary face in that damn window - I just know it!”, but that doesn’t happen, instead there’s a little non scary noise, the girl turns and sweeps her flashlight across the room, it illuminates an old clock…

We feel like “No big deal, I knew by the sound it was just a clock.” , but now the girl’s back is turned to the window, so she is even more vulnerable, and we are like, “Don’t turn your back on the window, it’s out there fool!!!!”, then the door opens, her friend enters and says “There you are. Didn’t you hear me calling you?” and the girl says “No I didn’t shi—“ -CRASHHH!!- The Killer comes through the window and scares the crap out of us!

This isn’t the best example, but the point is to engage and pre-condition the audience with a series of visual tension builds and releases with framing, actions, easing in of the camera, shots that are closer to the window for example and more -so that ideally when the time comes, every step the character takes has us on and off edge till we are the victim of a sucker punch scare we knew was coming, but fell victim to by letting our guard down when the visual tension was released on screen.

The reason I mention all of this is because in this clip, look at the points of vulnerable entry and elements of distraction in the shot (A doorway, a window, a window, a table in the lower left, flashes of something on the right, things on the floor we are trying to make sense of) all of it has our eyes jumping around looking for where the Boogie Man is going to come from (and thus invoking tension), then when the chair moves our focus goes to the center, and the tension drops with the logic of “Big deal it’s just a chai--“ SCARE!

-Thanks-

Last edited:
Haha nice. That's sort of what I wanted this thread to turn into but didn't know what to ask or how to go about it.

Great info.

How does one go about "scaring" someone without startling them? That's what I am trying to achieve...

If you can find a copy, read Francois Truffaut's book-length interview with Alfred Hitchcock. One of Hitch's most famous quotes from there is (paraphrased):

Scenario 1: Three men are playing cards at a table. A bomb goes off, killing them all. The audience is shocked for a few seconds.

Scenario 2: Three men are playing cards at a table. The audience is shown that there is a bomb under the table. Now the audience is invested in the outcome and is kept in suspense for as long as the filmmaker wants to draw out the scene.

That in a nutshell is the difference between a filmmaker who thrives on the emotional investment of the audience in the story, and one who's content to just give them a thrill ride and call it good.

I did a similar trick in last Halloweens boo box I setup.

I had an old computer rack with doors, I lined it with foam, put a seat in it, added a 5.1 surround setup with a sub woofer under your butt.

A 14" LCD on a swing arm was about 10" from your face.

I had this cool video that I hacked together from www.archive.org video archives.. set to MUSE music. The video was intense, it was mostly edited from a 1940's Russian reanimation experiments film --

EDIT: Id forgotten how disturbing parts of the video below are.. don't look if you love dogs.

http://www.archive.org/details/Experime1940 --, talk about real and freaky,

anyway, near the end I slowed down the music, put up a spinning hypnotic wheel.. and as the music faded SMASHED you in the face with a zombie picture.. got a few screams with that!

The boo box was a hit, and even after ripping out the PC, the kids still sit in it to hide and relax.. cant wait for this year!

Last edited:
If you can find a copy, read Francois Truffaut's book-length interview with Alfred Hitchcock. One of Hitch's most famous quotes from there is (paraphrased):

Scenario 1: Three men are playing cards at a table. A bomb goes off, killing them all. The audience is shocked for a few seconds.

Scenario 2: Three men are playing cards at a table. The audience is shown that there is a bomb under the table. Now the audience is invested in the outcome and is kept in suspense for as long as the filmmaker wants to draw out the scene.

That in a nutshell is the difference between a filmmaker who thrives on the emotional investment of the audience in the story, and one who's content to just give them a thrill ride and call it good.

Nice!

That technique is similar to the audience knowing about a land-mine or bomb or something and the characters nearly stepping on it while doing something disrelated - like arguing or something., right? I can see wonderful suspense coming from that scenario - brilliant.

Back