Proposal to the Board: Supporting our troops

Will, the film can be in MPEG or AVI format and if you can put it in DVD quility, that would be great too.
VOB...I've never worked with that file type, so I won't start now! :lol: Thanks again for helping with this effort.

Will Vincent said:
I shall see what I can find/come up with.. also, as to submission reqs.. would it help to have the footage encoded as a VOB already, or uncompressed, or what format on the CD/DVD would you prefer?

If I can't finish that project by the deadline, perhaps I can get something else put together.. otherwise, I'll have to see what I have available and time for.. I love the idea, since had I not been medically discharged, I'd be there myself. ;)

Poke...you are a sneaky one. This morning when I woke up I was thinking about the title Shorts for Soldiers. I even started doing some design work on the idea. So great minds think alike! SFS it is! :)
I haven't seen Chris' image on his site yet, I'll have to check that out. Also..that would be great if you could get some donations of DVD-Rs and Jewel Boxes/Cases! I will call up a few stores in my area as well. Great idea Poke(now see that part is yours! :P) Let me know what you find out. I know Zen is going to donate some blank DVDs too. Everyone will get credit! Donations of the films, DVDs ect.. everyone will get there name on this for sure. But most importantly the troops will enjoy all this stuff.

Yes I was thinking 2-3 hours of shorts and if we get more....we can always have a 2 disc collection! :cool:
I want to send it out to as many units as we can. Christmas time for the troops is going to be the hardest and hopefully we'll be able to fill alittle gap in someone's life over there. Poke I can easily see us sending over 100 DVD's. The way people are getting behind this, it's amazing and we'll be able to do it with all the great members of this board.

Now to answer your questions-
1. Mmmmm...something I have thought about. Let me think about it a bit longer. But I think all indie filmmakers are the same and want to support our guy's in harms way. Just because there on another board doesn't mean they're going threw what we don't go threw. Indie filmmaking is what binds us all together. So I'm thinking about this one, but I was thinking about opening it up to other boards, or atleast pointing them somewhere were they can help. But I think I want to get alittle page started first before telling others about it. More on this soon...

2. That's a very good idea to set up a page for this and a PP account for donations. I already have a PP account, but maybe someone would be willing to do a page layout for us and host just until say new years'? I can work on graphics for the site for sure.

If you would like the black plastic (traditional style/size) DVD cases, I can "probably" get hold of as many as you could possibly need, for free. BUT, I need to check first, so let me get back with you on that. I might even be able to get some 2-disc style cases, just on the chance that we get a plethora of submissions and we need to make a 2-disc set!

Hail, how many of these do you envision sending over?

I can host any files/sites necessary.

Perhaps we could get a DVD replicator to donate supplies and/or duplication time? I know that duplication can be quite expensive otherwise.

To anyone who goes out and talks to stores for donations of materials - please be sure to take down their info so that we can add it to the DVD credits.

HailtotheKing said:
I haven't seen Chris' image on his site yet, I'll have to check that out.

It's not there anymore. It was a bunch of toy soldiers attacking a group of pineapples and the "sarge" was yelling, "Let's get those Weapons of Mass Pineapple!" I found it funny, and I think most soldiers would as well (according to my cousin the term WMD is made fun of quite regularly amongst the troops).

John@Bophe said:
If you would like the black plastic (traditional style/size) DVD cases, I can "probably" get hold of as many as you could possibly need, for free. BUT, I need to check first, so let me get back with you on that. I might even be able to get some 2-disc style cases, just on the chance that we get a plethora of submissions and we need to make a 2-disc set!

Sweet! Let us know ASAP, because I already called a couple of stores who are looking in to it, but I canhold off a few days before I call more.

Poke

Last edited:
I'll be sure to try to get a short film in...at least this gives me a set a date, i'm pretty bad at creating deadlines for myself. But, i'll definatly contribute something to this, whether its money or a film.

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I'm 16 and broke with about an eighth of my second screenplay (first one was a dunce) so I have absolutely nothing to donate.

However, I'm a very political person and to see filmmakers doing this brings a big smile to my face, I just know the troops will love this.

I will be adding a link to this thread in my signature. If there is anything I can do to help promote it, just PM me and name it.

This is an awesome idea, I just wish I could give something more to the cause.

More info...

Wow guys...you are all working over time for sure on this. Let's keep it up. I've updated the first post slightly, take alook at it. Also I've moved the due date back just a day. The official title for this effort is Cinema Shorts for Soldiers. Shorts for Soldiers just sounded like shorts you wear. We want people to clearly know that these are movies. ;) I'll speak to Shaw soon and we'll get a mini-site started for this as well. To list everyone that has donated a film, a company that has given a donation of product, or a person that has given money for postage. We'll try to keep it to one DVD for sure. But again if the flood gates open I don't want to turn anyone away. Now to answer a few questions...

John and Poke- Let me know ASAP you hear something from your stores!!! It's fine if we have an over amount of supplies, as we can use them to send more DVDs to the troops at a later time. They're going to be over there awhile. As far as how many I would like to send for Christmas time, I would love to hit 100 DVDs! Postage for that 100 will be 385 dollars. So that'll give you a figure to work with. :)

Shaw-What company were you looking into to do this for us? Are you willing to contact one of these places? If not give me the info and I can do it. It would be great if we got someone to it for us, as I hope both my burners will hold out for this. They should...they're built tough.

Nick and Ben-Thanks for your support guys! Nick when you have a short ready, send it on in. Ben, even if you can't give anything...just knowing that you support me and the rest of us is a great feeling. The great thing about this is that it doesn't matter if your a Democrat, Republican, Independent(we all are! :P ) we all support and wish the best for our troops. That's the great thing about this, people from all types of backgrounds are coming together and helping. I feel this is just a small taste as to what's to come in the coming days.

Hail--great graphic for the project! I already uploaded to my website -- take a look if you are so inclined...(see my sig for the link).

PS--I'll try to get word on the DVD cases tonight.

me and xshort66spikex are thinking of ideas right now. So, we'll try our best to submit a film on time. We know some people that will support this, and will let us use their property for our film...this is perfection.

When I get back to IL, I'll ask around some stores... maybe get donations for the shipping. Maybe the USPS would do it for free?

Who knows... I'll post again after I get home tomorrow!

John, Groovy that you got it up on your site. :) Shaw and me are working on the site and should have it up soon hopefully. ;)

Nick, glad you know people who will support this. That's the kinda people we need involved with this project.

Coot, yeah let me know ASAP as you know from your stores. Got a few other people working the stores(myself included.) USPS giving free shipping...nah, they don't do it for other groups supporting the troops. But atleast the Army takes care of the BULK rate to ship it overseas, we're just paying 3.85 a package.

Zen, :lol: did I already answer something you were asking?

Why 3.85 a package?
How much does it take to mail a DVD to a US address?
Are you sending it priority?

Whenever I send anything I just send it regular with insurance. That's it... I don't think it was $3.85 but who knows.... I'll put in $20 for shipping and other costs.. I just want to make sure Carlos get's one so his guys can see it. He's kind of a celebrity out there with being on the cover of HighTimes magazine and all. Everyone goes to his hooch to hang out. He'll get the DVD seen by many.
I may have some CO's in Afgahn too. My cousin was there flying medi-vacs for over a year.

This is awesome.

Update on the DVD cases--I know I will be able to send some, but the actual final number is still to be determined. I already have about 20, but I seriously expect more to come in over the next few days. I might be able to get close to 100 if things go well. I will update again later in the week!

I think you need to have that short that little fil posted on there.. where that happy dude gets hit by the car.. The one with Shadowbeast in it.. oh, and his lightsabre clone flick is good too. ;)

Both wouldn't take up much space on the dvd.. could be cool Of course, I shouldn't really be offering someone elses work I suppose. :D

Chris, sounds good can't wait to see what you come up with for the cover. ;)

Will, why not contact those filmmakers and see if they'd send there short in for this. :yes:

John, wow 20 so far? Great start. I know Poke is working on cases and Blank DVDs as well. Even if you got 50 John that would be great and then Poke could get 50. Kinda meet in the middle. But by all means if you can get more go for it dude. I'll be waiting to hear from you.

Coot, Yes your cousin's top on the list to get a DVD. Do you have his proper unit address? Just PM it to me when you have time. About shipping, first class and Priority are about the same price when sending a DVD. It's just a few more pennies more to go Priority. Also with Priority you can send up to 4lbs for just 3.85! So if we are going to throw in some stuffers, I think it's best to go Priority. :) Thanks for wanting to donate to the postage. Want to do it threw Paypal or MO? Just PM me and let me know and I'll send you my PP if you are going to do it that way.

Awesome work guys. Some things here are coming along great as well. Should have the site up soon.

Back