Proposal to the Board: Supporting our troops

CSFS.jpg

Official Site
It's just a temp site. We're going to make it "fancy" in the coming days. But this can atleast start to get the word out!

Hello everyone...

I have an idea on how we can help support are troops in harms way. I ask for you to read the following and consider it carefully. I was thinking about sending a package of independent films to troops in Afghanistan and Iraq for Christmas time. Here is where I've found address for the units. Alot of them want entertainment and are begging for it. So I got the idea that us filmmakers could help these guys out. :yes: We'll call this effort Cinema Shorts for Soldiers

We have had alot of great films on this board. I'm willing to take time to take those films and put them all on DVD for our troops to enjoy. All you would have to do is send them to me(snail mail) and any promo material you have for the films as well!

Put your movies on CD as MPEG/AVI files, VHS/DVD or Digital8 or is what I can handle at the moment. I would be willing to take people's shorts(40mins or less) and put them on all one DVD. If you want to submit a feature that's fine but I'll put it in the package. Also if you could slip in a dollar or 2 for shipping of the box overseas that would help alot as well. The address if you feel lead to give something is below. So let me know if you guys like this idea...:)

I want to get as many people involved in this as possible. It really makes you feel good as well to do something for someone else. Especially when that person is out there dying for you to be able to read this message in a safe and secure home.

The due date to ship off the package is Dec 6th so they can get it at Christmas time. So I'll make the offical cut off date Nov 30th for all movies to be in. If you could get them to be BEFORE Nov 30th that'll be great.

DVD Goal to send to Troops-100 DVDs-MET!
Postage for 100 DVDs-$385.00

Supplies Donations that we have so far-
100 Black DVD cases-Got 'em
115 Blank DVDs -Got 'em
100 Christmas greeting cards- Got 'em
$210 dollars of shipping taken care of.
Cover is done, printing starts soon
Site is up, temp for now

Shorts that are being Donated-
Zen-Got his DVD
Vegas-received his DVD
Riz
Shaw
John(Finger)-got his DVD
Poke-Got His DVD
Christopher-Got his DVD
Coot
John Jordan
SonnyBoo-Got His DVD
IndieTalk
And a few non-board memebers are donating a few films. Also I'll be throwing on a few of my shorts to "fatten" it out at the ends.

Here is where everyone can send there shorts/DVD's and or donation of money for postage(Money Order) to...

Cinema Shorts for Soldiers
2923 North 7th St.
St. Joseph, MO 64505 USA

Last edited:
I can help.
smiley_patriot.gif

I'll re-double my efforts to get Broadband completely done by that time. I'll send something else, if it's not.

I can also send a bundle of blank DVDs, if you want your burner to get a real workout.

Great idea! Helping others always makes you feel good and heck you might pick up a few fans!

What type of DVDs are you going to be using HTTK? +R, -R?

Count me in for sure. I'll send you a PM requesting your address as soon as I have a submission ready to go.

Wow 2 more people on board. The troops overseas are going to love this guys!

Shaw, I think I'll be using -R for the disc. As I think they are more accepted formate and play in more players then +R's do right now. PM me as soon as you have a submission. ;)

I want to make a short horror flick for this and for myself really, so help me with ideas! haha.

And to stay on topic : Think that we should make a short tribute style intro devoted to the troops? I'm fairly good with flash, or i like to think so. I think for an intro on the DVDs a little tribute to the troops would be nice.

It's about 3 weeks 'ti Dec 1, Mr Riz.

Might be better to send something already done (or close to it), than spend the next 20 days frantically trying to get something new together.

rizien said:
And to stay on topic : Think that we should make a short tribute style intro devoted to the troops? I'm fairly good with flash, or i like to think so. I think for an intro on the DVDs a little tribute to the troops would be nice.

Yeah I was thinking about doing something like that. Maybe sometime we can chat about it and run ideas. Also yeah just about 3 weeks to get everything ready to ship. You might want to take something you already have now.

King ... it's been said already, but let me just say - terrific idea!!! Magnamameous Bark and Gigante Chupycabras and Sometimes They Come Loose will be in the mail by next week.

Expect a PM concerning your address.

Poke

Mini DV formate? How many shorts do you want from me? Address to send it to? Any instruction on what to include with it? Are you going to make a cover for the DVD package? I volenteer to make a nice cover and send it with my movie. If you know what you want on it. :yes:

This is awesome!
I have a friend, as many of you know, in Iraq. Him and his fellow soldiers would love something like this. Could a DVD be sent to him?
SPC. ARELLANO, CARLOS
HHC 1/161 TF, 3BCT, 1 CD
APO-AE 09348

Can I send my entries as files on CD?

Please PM me with the addy.....

I'll contribute the piece I'm working on for that Yellowcard contest, if it's finished by Dec. 1.. but my target finish date is the 10th, so I dunno if moving it up 9 days will work or not.

One quick thing, everyone has asked about there shorts as files on CD/DVD. That would help me alot! Better than a tape, this way I could get right to encoding the DVD! So if you can put your films on a CD/DVD as files(MPEG/AVI) for me to use, do it! I'll PM everyone my address that has posted as well. Now to answer some questions...

John and Poke, thanks for contributing to this.

Christopher, I can't accepted Mini-DV at this time. Sorry. But if you can get the shorts on DVD/CD as MPEG/AVI files that would help. As many shorts as you are willing to give me! I'm going to cram on as much as I can on the DVD. I was going to make a nice disc label for the DVD and put it in a paper sleeve to be sent. But if you want to take a crack at a DVD cover, go for it! :) I'd like to see what you come up with.

Coot, Hey...that's really cool! Is that the address of the commander of his unit right? We'll have to send him one for sure. :yes: Do you know how many people are in his unit?

Will, It's alright if you can't make our deadline. Maybe there is something else that you can send along.

I shall see what I can find/come up with.. also, as to submission reqs.. would it help to have the footage encoded as a VOB already, or uncompressed, or what format on the CD/DVD would you prefer?

If I can't finish that project by the deadline, perhaps I can get something else put together.. otherwise, I'll have to see what I have available and time for.. I love the idea, since had I not been medically discharged, I'd be there myself. ;)

HailtotheKing said:
I was going to make a nice disc label for the DVD and put it in a paper sleeve to be sent. But if you want to take a crack at a DVD cover, go for it! :) I'd like to see what you come up with.

Let's call it IndieTalk.com Presents Shorts for Soldiers. Go ahead and make a cover Chris - maybe utilizing the "weapons of mass pineapple" pic from your site. I'm gonna check in with some stores in my area and see if we can't get some donations of DVD-Rs and Jewel Boxes - and maybe others can check in their areas - we'll have to list contributors on the DVD credits, but that shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully we can get two to three hours worth of shorts and we can get over a hundred DVDs (maybe 2 or 3) made. Maybe that's being a bit overzealous, but this is a great idea!!! (I'm jealous that I didn't think of it).

I think we should try to send as many as we can one per company, so they can have it to watch on a movie night or something, but if anyone has a loved one over there, we should definitely send them one. I have a cousin, but I don't have his address - I can get it though.

Hail, I think it'd be good if you posted an address for everyone here to send it to rather than having to do it through PM.

Now, a couple of questions:

1) Do we want to keep this strictly to IT members? Or would we like to try and get others to donate a short or two, thus raising awareness of the site as well as doing a good deed?

2) Do we want to set up a seperate page where people who have no short to send can PayPal a donation?

Anyway, let's do this guys and gals. This is awesome!

Poke

Back