• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Pregnancies

Hey forum,

I wanna talk about pregnancies in screenplays. I've been editing one of my works and I found that a pregnancy would fill a lot of holes, and generally would give me a lot to play off of, but something is amiss.

It seems that with pregnancy there is an issue of time. 9 months has to pass from conception in the first act to birth late in the 3rd. This leads me to:
1. Montages
2. several small time cuts, or one large one.

I'm staying away from montages, and timecuts make the screenplay acts seem very episodic and split up, even if the plot goal is a nice line all the way through.

Is there a good example of a movie (not centered on the pregnancy) can use pregnancy effectively?

All the examples I can think of where pregnancy was pulled off--the movie was centered around the pregnancy itself, and they had to use timecuts and/or montages.

Well, she only said she was pretty sure.

And besides, if you'd read the articles you posted, you'd see that it hasn't been done in humans yet. And they are talking about a womb transplantation, not transplanting a fetus from one woman's uterus to another, which is what was suggested. So your snark is moot :P

My comment isn't a snark, but I see your comment as such.

I don't try to argue with people or put people down.
If someone says my comment is stupid (she didn't say that, but you can interpret things in this sort of way) then I have a right to back up what I have said, the purpose of the links is to show it isn't as impossible as you might think.

Just because something hasn't been done before, doesn't mean it isn't possible.
And it doesn't mean it would be nonsense or stupid to have it done in a movie.

Not muted at all. You haven't proven what I said is wrong or impossible.
I am PRETTY SURE that at some point in the future they will be able to transplant womb and baby at the same time.
I expect they will be able to even grow a baby completely in a 'test tube' at same point in the future (100years? 1000 years? 10000years? who knows).
However I expect a womb and baby could be transplanted with today's technology.

I wasn't trying to say 'hey, look it has been done'. No.
When she KNOCKED my comment, I simply done a Google search to see if anyone has actually tried what I was suggesting.
I was not saying it has been done, I didn't say that ANYWHERE in my comment.
Transplanting a Womb, well, that could be advanced another step in the future by transplanting with a baby in it.

Not nonsense or impossible at all.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm sorry if I seemed rude, I didn't intend to be. I'm sorry I upset you Anxu and I appreciate that you defended yourself :)
The op has figured out a solution to his problem, so mission accomplished every one :)

Back