• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Post your Youtube link!

Who's on Youtube? Let's post our URLs here so we can all add and subscribe to each other!

www.youtube.com/superguncinema

I've posted two of my shorts, but more will be going up when I find time! Although some people complain about the compression there, it can't be easier to find and share videos. I love it.

Yes i strongly recommend it.

Although youtube is limited to films under 10mins you always get plenty of reviews and uploading is very straight forward.

Never. After reading the YouTube Terms of Service, I do not agree with section 5(B) which reads:
However, by submitting the User Submissions to YouTube, you hereby grant YouTube a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the User Submissions in connection with the YouTube Website and YouTube's (and its successor's) business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the YouTube Website (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels.
The terms are there for us to agree or disagree with. I just choose to disagree with that. This is why you'll never see my videos on YouTube or MySpace (which has the same TOS about video uploads).

Last edited:
True, LOC, but I think they just do that so the news networks can show the latest videos with "buzz". Frankly though, as far as short films go, I'd love for people to rip 'em off and sell 'em. I wasn't planning on making any money off them, and any way they can get out there to be enjoyed is cool with me. Like, the way I look at it is "non-exclusive" which means they can promote me, and so can I; "in connection with the Youtube website" so they're not going to go pawning it off as their work, but as MY work on THEIR website; and "use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display and perform" , meaning people can post the video to their blog and such, or download it and have a screening.
Either way, the quality is so reduced, the only thing it'll be good for it web-cast, and since I'm webcasting it anyway, it means free exposure for me, right?
So yeah, I was originally worried about those terms too, but in the end, I realized that I wasn't doing anything with my shorts anyway, and Youtube provides a great opportunity for mass exposure. I saw an interview with the creators (a news clip, ironically on Youtube) and they seem like they're legit, and just in it for the fun. All my initial hesitation faded away when I realized that shorts are really all about exposure, and I could care less, as long as someone doesn't edit the credits to take the claim for it.. and no one's gonna go to that trouble for one of my stinkers... another good reason to star in all your movies, lol.

Sonnyboo- I'm in love with the Portal too. Steve Sutton is the man! (I didn't know he was on Youtube though, so thanks for the link!)

It's true they haven't 'done anything' with any of the videos... yet. I just get a bit scared away entering into a legal contract that says things like
  • ...[COMPANY NAME] reserves the right to amend these Terms of Service at any time and without notice...
  • ...you hereby grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform your work in [COMPANY NAME] (and its successor's) business...
  • ...we provide personally identifiable information to our subsidiaries, affiliated companies, or other businesses or persons...
Just because they haven't done anything yet, dosen't mean they won't in the future. If anyone's going to profit from our work, it should be us, not them.

Don't get me wrong, I like watching videos on YouTube also and think the site has value to the public. It's jut not for me. :D

I agree with LOC, that licsense paints way too broad a stroke for me as well. Though I think it's good to have a YouTube or MySpace presence, the work around is to put up trailers only and link to your real web site.

technically they have to since they don't control the terminal upon which the content is being displayed (even then they would need a TOS like this to use your work). It also frees them to use your videos in their most popular and any advertising they may choose to do for themselves. I'd love to see a video hosting place like this that has lawyers that would let them get away with not having that type of clause in their TOS. They are protecting themselves from possible future litigation.

Situation to consider: Member makes it big and new DVD with their new work has a special feature wherein they show old short films by the director. Production company that the Director is now contracted to finds the short being played on youtube ads before a feature put out by a rival prodco. Prodco #1 sues youtube for using what is ostensibly now their property in an advertisement used by a rival prodco. Without those wide sweeping statements in their TOS, youtube has no protection against litigation happy companies/people.

Just because they haven't done anything yet, dosen't mean they won't in the future.

I respectfully disagree. No site that uses a clause (which they all do) has ever stolen a move idea & then used this clause as their legal way out from having to pay the author and it never will happen. This clause is like any other submission agreement that protects the reciever from any frivolous lawsuits as well.

By the same logic, even by putting up a trailer, they have the legal right to reproduce the concept without your permission. But then again, anyone can do that as you can't copyright an "idea".

Your stories & movies have no value if no one knows about them.

Blimey guys... I cant help but think some people are too paroniod. YouTUbe gets more vistors and viewers than most US and UK TV stations each day. Use the free service... get your name and films out there, rather than sat on your hard drive covered in a cloak of paranoia and legal subdifuge.

Here's some of mine: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=plh007

I was on MySpace films for the free blog but for crying out pete sake their servers suck. Its to the point now where I can't change pages without getting their 'Oops' error message. I'm back with YouTube again.

Linkage is... http://www.youtube.com/allknightproductions

I hate myspace. it's so busy, messy and just diffiuclt to look at. No idea why it's so popular. for blogs try www.blogger.com . very simple and looks very nice.

has anyone had problem uploading over 100meg files? (using your director's account) I have been experiencing issues with it.

Also, if you guys have time, check out www.brightcove.com it's a company that will be offering streaming video channels, and right now I think it's free till end of year to sign up and stream, I encoded a 60 mins documentary and have the whole thing up online there. :)

THey also provide up to 30 days trial version of on2 Flix Pro 8, which is an amazing program to use to convert avi or quicktime into flash (swf or flv) really amazing quality.

Back