Possible new restrictions for photography/filming in the UK

I don't know if anyone else has heard about this, but I was just sent an email from a friend.

Apparently:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The government are trying to make photography in public places a crime!!

If the bill is passed then you will have to apply for a special licence to take photographs in public, no matter who you are and what you are taking pictures of!!

So sign the petition whether you take photos or not. It a silly idea. It's a little tedious, you have to follow a link from an email they send you, but it's worth it!!

There needs to be 750,000 signatures on it to stop it going through.
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Photography
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know anything about this? If it's true it would probably effect filming.

I'm going to do a bit of research before signing.
Steven
P.S. You have to be a UK citizen/resident to sign.

Uhh... If that's not a hoax, I'd just move to another country.. because that's an Orwellian situation there.

Then here's one that'll blow your mind Spatula. In the UK you have to have a license to own a Television.

It's not actually as bad as it sounds.

In London the government taxes you for driving during some hours, am I right? Maybe this is a way to tax us Yanks when we want to take a pic of one of those guards with the fuzzy hats who don't move. We really love those guys.

It's a government website, but anyone can create a petition:

BETA TEST
The e-petitions system launched in November 2006. It is currently in a public "beta test". This means that users are welcome to sign and create petitions, but we will be making changes to the site, as we fix technical problems, improve usability and respond to feedback.

Someone just made it up. Probably to advertise their photography service, which is noted.

That sounds like a hoax to me. Yet another email preying off this paranoid post 9/11 world... How in the heck would this be regulated? Sounds silly.

Thinking about, it you're right. There's no way it could be policed, you'd basically have to buy a license when you bought a camera.

Always better to check things out before blindly signing a petition. Sorry to waste everyones time.

Steven

Last edited:
Then here's one that'll blow your mind Spatula. In the UK you have to have a license to own a Television.

It's not actually as bad as it sounds.

Actually- that's probably a good idea... TV is a modern WMD... the damn idiot box, I call it... it's too bad there's so much GOOD tv right now! (Lost, 24, Battlestar)... dammit- those things are DANGEROUS.. you could waste your whole life glued to that screen, when you COULD be out drinkin'!!!

Back