• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Poor video quality while moving, help!

So I am using a Sony DCR-TRV25 mini DV. I have tried streaming via firewire, burning directly to a dvd recorder via s-video, and I think I noticed it when playing on a small HD tv. Why does this image look like this when the video is in motion? It is on a Sony premium tape, and I think it was new, but it was in the camcorder when I received it off ebay. Is this the result of needing the head cleaned? Thank you.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Its normal. I think. One of the Guru's here may have a different opinion. Are you recording in SP or LP mode. Fire Wire is obviously the best choice. What program are you using to capture?

Well, its recording in SP. I tried capturing it with avs4you and windows movie maker but both were giving me kinda laggy videos. Tried WinDV and it doesnt work at all, not seeing my camcorder. Currently running Vista 64bit, amd quad core 3ghz, 2 gigs ram - yeah I know I need more for rendering, using onboard video with 128meg side port memory - yeah I know I need something, 1 tb 7200rpm hdd, and a 10,000 rpm raptor. I did install winxp as a dual boot and believe i got it to capture better there. Then tried directly to dvd then ripped it to my computer. which seemed to work the best at the moment.

I just did a youtube search for deinterlacing and found using Yadif works good? Anyone else try this or know a good free way to deinterlace?

You could use adobe premiere. Try this. highlight the clip, then right click it, select field options and select "flicker removal". Or you can select "always deinterlace".

That's normal. That's what interlaced looks like. Although, it should only look like that when you pull a still from it. It should look smooth when in play.

You say this is the first time you've used miniDV. Before, have you been using something of higher or lower quality? Because, when it comes to interlacing, it definitely matters how many lines there are. Lower resolution will make this interlacing more noticeable.

A lot more cameras are shooting progressive, these days. In the not-so-distant past, it was almost entirely interlaced.

When its in play its very noticeable, sadly. The two cameras I have used for recording video have not shown this kind of imagery before. One is a kodak z812is, using its video mode with 720p. The other is some cheap radioshack Optimus brand thats like 640x480 and isnt very good at all. Neither of these show these lines, despite the kodak has horrible low light, and the optimus is just horrible all around. So this is new to me. The Sony DCR-TRV25 says it has 520 lines of resolution, and it seems its output file size is 720x480. At least thats the file size that keeps popping up when I try to capture it.

Well, in that case, yep, something's wrong. That's weird. I've never experienced anything like that. I'm not a techie. Hopefully, someone more experienced with the tech side will interject. Can you upload some of the problematic footage?

I will try, but im not on the best connection. :rolleyes: Im also in the process of trying to deinterlace it using fairuse. Something really weird is I tried using FormatFactory to deinterlace it and the output actually took the two layers of video, seperated them, and stacked them on top of each other. To give a better description, its like watching two of the exact same thing but smushed, in the same window...Grrr

Hey, I have the same cam in the closet. Yes, that frame cap shows interlaced. Your DVD might NOT be burned as interlace, which might cause this..

Check the DVD burner settings (for when your going direct to DVD) to see if you can tell it to create INTERLACED DVD's.. it might be trying to make it progressive only.

If you import via firewire, youll need to deinterlace in your software. With premiere i just left the footage interlaced, and chose "deinterlace check box" during export of the final films.

Hope this helps..

sure..

Most of this I took last year... (im still a noob)

no color tweak or visual effects..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mTKnXxaZMo

later revision of clips with color and visuals..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLemegkumNQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPfb8vk1TIc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcNncPOuNzE

and for comparison here is my most recent creation from my canon HFS100 with 35mm adapter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDcNB3mzFrE

Thanks a lot! Those look great! Good catch on the dvd recorder too, i checked and it does record in progressive scan....But there doesnt seem to be a way to change it, at least not in the online manual. So I will just have to figure a way to get it on my computer via firewire, without getting the laggyness. I cant imagine the specs for a pc being to high for capturing? All I can think is i either need more ram or a dedicated video card. Are there any good free programs that can be recommended for firewire capturing, other then windows, avs4you, or windv?

And again, great vids, hopefully I can get this squared away so mine appear as nice as those.

Back