Pluraleyes is awesome...

...if you suck at syncing audio, or just don't feel like doing the work.

EDIT: ...or, if you have a multi-camera, multi-audio source shoot (see Paul's post below).

If you find syncing audio difficult, I think you just haven't learned the proper method. I actually get the job done faster, on my own, than with Pluraleyes, so I'll be un-installing the free trial.

But hey, the trial is free, and fully-functional. Can't beat that.

Last edited:
:lol:

Pluraleyes is software that syncs audio for you. You just line up the tracks, and pretty much press a button. Except there are actually a few hoops you gotta jump through, and syncing audio has never been very difficult or time-consuming in the first place.

Their demo does look sweet. But their demo uses a multi-cam shoot, of a special event (or, at least the one I watched). In this situation, it's quite likely that you'll use each clip, so it makes sense to sync every clip, before doing any editing. I can see how Pluraleyes would be awesome for people who shoot events.

In narrative work, however, I don't think it really makes sense to sync audio before editing. Cuz there's a whole lot of clips that will never get used. And syncing audio, with Pluraleyes, after picture has been locked -- eh, it's not really a time-saver.

It's awesome, I love it.

This last project, we had over 25 hours of footage across 3 cameras (sometimes running simultaneously) and 4 channels of audio from an external recorder.

I put it all in a time line before I left the office, hit go, and in the morning I had a nice orderly project.

It did make a handful of small mistakes, but they were almost all when there was no dialogue in the take (including direction/slate noise/behind the scenes), just room tone.

It's awesome, I love it.

This last project, we had over 25 hours of footage across 3 cameras (sometimes running simultaneously) and 4 channels of audio from an external recorder.

I put it all in a time line before I left the office, hit go, and in the morning I had a nice orderly project.

It did make a handful of small mistakes, but they were almost all when there was no dialogue in the take (including direction/slate noise/behind the scenes), just room tone.

Yeah, I think you definitely need to sync it in advance (like you did), and have a multi-camera, multi-audio project (like you did), for it to be a time-saver. I have one camera, and one channel of audio. It's kinda overkill for me.

Their demo does look sweet. But their demo uses a multi-cam shoot, of a special event (or, at least the one I watched). In this situation, it's quite likely that you'll use each clip, so it makes sense to sync every clip, before doing any editing. I can see how Pluraleyes would be awesome for people who shoot events.

In narrative work, however, I don't think it really makes sense to sync audio before editing. Cuz there's a whole lot of clips that will never get used. And syncing audio, with Pluraleyes, after picture has been locked -- eh, it's not really a time-saver.

Yeah, that's the same one i watched. And i agree with you, it seems much more beneficial and helpful for a multicam shoot. I think it'll apply mostly to all the indie music vid editors out there when you have many angles to cut.

Back