• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Please critique my new music video

I liked the extreme color contrast between a few shots.. where you CC red and the next shot is heavy blue.. that had a nice dramatic impact..

Seemed like good lipsyning.

I didn't mind the fast cutting, and some times it works..

generally, boring shots.

Some of the rotate and zoom post effects look silly.

I liked the extreme color contrast between a few shots.. where you CC red and the next shot is heavy blue.. that had a nice dramatic impact..

Seemed like good lipsyning.

I didn't mind the fast cutting, and some times it works..

generally, boring shots.

Some of the rotate and zoom post effects look silly.
Thanks.

What kind of shots would you suggest?

Can you give me an example of when the fast cutting didn't work?

FWIW, I actually like the fast cuts.
I just wish it was done with what appears to be a more meaningful purpose instead of just at random times and to convey an actual song-story message.

So far almost every rap video I've seen is an insufferable repetition of "dudes who like to look at themselves in the mirror."
I'm a middle aged white guy, somewhat into music, but mostly enjoy a good music video.
Rap. Not rap. I don't care. Honestly. That doesn't bother me. I just get bored with looking at guys that just wanna look at themselves.
Of the lo/no budget rap videos I've seen I like several elements to several of this guy's rap videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/VisualMeccaENT/videos

I think he includes more story, less "lookin at me in the mirror."
Some of the effects shots includes are really interesting, but then again, some of the sets, set designs and lighting, camera angles, subject lighting, and shot composition are pretty cool, too.

I think the images captured for 'Practice' are excellent.
The lighting is good, the focus is good, the movement is good, the sets are good, and the limited effects are good.

It's a combination of just a whole lot of the same stuff in there recycled over and over and over (the song itself is already killing that) + a lot of the same kinds of shots in there just with different environments that's primarily killing it for me.
And I don't really know what to think about the Range Rover commercial aspect.
IDK...
Something seems off with that.

Oh! And then the girl pops in there outta nowhere 3/4 of the way into the video. WTH izzat?! In or out. Pick one. I suggest in, unless she's immaterial to the act or song. A nice thick coat of estrogen never hurt no video, juno?

Might benefit from more extreme close ups, some more deep bokeh shots, change some lighting, add more non-song story, (about a 1/3 to 1/2 story-to-song ratio works good for me).

You have the equipment and techniques to capture good material.
IMHO, I think you need to let your creativity off the chain a wee more.

My current fave rap(ish) video (and I regognize the budget for this video is kray-zee, but the principles still apply)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIXUgtNC4Kc

Last edited:
well, the quality was nice.. but my thoughts:

the first thing that stuck out was... the guys were just standing there rapping, which is fine if your doing a one on one freestyle session, but other than that it was just boring.

this wasnt a rubbish video it was just boring, some effects were nice, but again visual elements need a story to them to keep the viewer interested..

there was nothing out of the ordinary that i saw that warranted a second watch of this.

I would strongly recommend doing a story line, watch other music vids and see.. but static videos are just MEH..

good attempt though.

Just my opinion :)

The dude who was rapping in the final verse -- though his lip movement matched the lyrics, it just didn't feel right. I think this is because he probably wasn't actually audibly rapping the lyrics, the same way that he would if he were recording in a music studio. Although the musicians are technically lip-syncing, I think it's important that they ACTUALLY sing/rap just as if they were performing to a live audience or recording in a studio. Otherwise, the performance feels flat.

The dude who was rapping in the final verse -- though his lip movement matched the lyrics, it just didn't feel right. I think this is because he probably wasn't actually audibly rapping the lyrics, the same way that he would if he were recording in a music studio. Although the musicians are technically lip-syncing, I think it's important that they ACTUALLY sing/rap just as if they were performing to a live audience or recording in a studio. Otherwise, the performance feels flat.

Yes I agree with that 100%, I try to remember to tell the artist to rap as if they were actually in the studio recording....unfortunately I didn't catch it that time...thanks for watching

well, the quality was nice.. but my thoughts:

the first thing that stuck out was... the guys were just standing there rapping, which is fine if your doing a one on one freestyle session, but other than that it was just boring.

this wasnt a rubbish video it was just boring, some effects were nice, but again visual elements need a story to them to keep the viewer interested..

there was nothing out of the ordinary that i saw that warranted a second watch of this.

I would strongly recommend doing a story line, watch other music vids and see.. but static videos are just MEH..

good attempt though.

Just my opinion :)

Thank you,

We were going to add in a whole basket ball story line but they decided not to...

Thanks for watching :)

FWIW, I actually like the fast cuts.
I just wish it was done with what appears to be a more meaningful purpose instead of just at random times and to convey an actual song-story message.

So far almost every rap video I've seen is an insufferable repetition of "dudes who like to look at themselves in the mirror."
I'm a middle aged white guy, somewhat into music, but mostly enjoy a good music video.
Rap. Not rap. I don't care. Honestly. That doesn't bother me. I just get bored with looking at guys that just wanna look at themselves.
Of the lo/no budget rap videos I've seen I like several elements to several of this guy's rap videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/VisualMeccaENT/videos

I think he includes more story, less "lookin at me in the mirror."
Some of the effects shots includes are really interesting, but then again, some of the sets, set designs and lighting, camera angles, subject lighting, and shot composition are pretty cool, too.

I think the images captured for 'Practice' are excellent.
The lighting is good, the focus is good, the movement is good, the sets are good, and the limited effects are good.

It's a combination of just a whole lot of the same stuff in there recycled over and over and over (the song itself is already killing that) + a lot of the same kinds of shots in there just with different environments that's primarily killing it for me.
And I don't really know what to think about the Range Rover commercial aspect.
IDK...
Something seems off with that.

Oh! And then the girl pops in there outta nowhere 3/4 of the way into the video. WTH izzat?! In or out. Pick one. I suggest in, unless she's immaterial to the act or song. A nice thick coat of estrogen never hurt no video, juno?

Might benefit from more extreme close ups, some more deep bokeh shots, change some lighting, add more non-song story, (about a 1/3 to 1/2 story-to-song ratio works good for me).

You have the equipment and techniques to capture good material.
IMHO, I think you need to let your creativity off the chain a wee more.

My current fave rap(ish) video (and I regognize the budget for this video is kray-zee, but the principles still apply)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIXUgtNC4Kc

Thank you for your input,

I've been doing this for almost two years so I am still learning about camera movement, lighting, continuity etc.

I will take all of this into consideration

About the girl, she appears throughout the video [group shot with red flares] she's in the back towards the far left so you might've missed her! lol

Thank you for watching

Back