Pirated Music in Festivals

YES!!! I DID SAY SO!!! EXAMPLES:
LOGAN L Productions said:
...I don't see how it's bad if he exposes the names...and it matters because It's a case by case thing.

What I was saying is: different situations call for different actions.

I guess we're in agreement...you pursued me first in the argument. I think our disagreement is that I feel more strongly that it is a bad decision to disqualify the other guy.

...I don't see how it's bad if he exposes the names...and it matters because It's a case by case thing.

What I was saying is: different situations call for different actions.

You know, it still doesn't matter. Different cases do call for different actions, that's a true statement. Guy A uses illegal music in a short and wins a film fest vs. guy B uses illegal music in a short to play for friends and family members ... these are different, one is doing it for a reward the other for recreation. Now ... guy A uses illegal music in a short and wins the Aspen Shorts Fest vs. guy B uses illegal music in a short and wins the Sundance Short Film Fest vs. guy C uses illegal music in a short and wins the Frank International Film Fest (for all you Bob Odenkirk fans out there) ... all these are the same, guys using illegal music and being rewarded.

We were presented with this case ... a director used illegal music, he won a film fest, another director found out about the illegal use of music and felt cheated, the second director turned in the first director for cheating. I don't see how specifics are important in this case.

Poke

Wow, how a topic can get so far from the origin is amazing. I have to agree with Logan in wanting to know WHAT festival has allowed this. What was Chicago's point of bringing this up at all? I know I would like to be aware of the shady festival's out there, so in the future I can avoid participating in them.

Still waiting for MrChicago to return and spill the beans.

I guessed at Aspen Shortsfest, as it had recently finished a week before the post and they stated that they were one of the few fests that could lead to the Oscars. (Which MrChicago was harping on about)

What was his point in bringing it up? He brought it up *everywhere*. I found 5 other messageboards with the same copy/pasted original message. He was angry at being cheated, and wanted recourse suggestions and possibly comiseration/empathy.

Wtb update, please. :shock:

I'm with MrChicago on this one for sure. It would burn me up if I was in his situation. I'm a competitor at heart...I want to win. I'm ambitious and I abide by the rules and expect others to do the same. I would take his same course of action. And I am not uptight...I just think people should abide by the laws of the land.

I'm not trying to convince anybody of anything (that's obvious that won't happen). I'm just showing my support for MrChicago.

I feel your pain...

Don't Steal Music

rizien said:
umm..steal music, if there is such a thing...

Of course there is. How would you feel if you saw one of your videos being used without your permission, possibly to their financial benefit of the thief -- and not yours? I'm not a musician, but I have huge repect for their rights. And just because it's easy to steal music doesn't mean that it should be done.

mrchicago said:
I recently came in 2nd place in a film festival. I lost out to a film that was filled with illegal pirated music.

<snip>

Any suggestions?

Know that you've done the RIGHT thing and just keep doing it. I've seen the same thing happen in festivals and I believe at some point we will see the RMAA crack down on film/video festival organizers and entrants like they have with ISPs and music "sharing" (stealing) sites.

Since we're on the topic of illegal usage in film festivals(and I've been gone so long I've missed everything good).....what's the difference between someone using pirated music in a film, and someone using pirated editing software to make a film? Is that just as bad? I would guess some of us in here aren't paying $500 + for editing software.

I bought my software...but anyway, I think it's fine to use music w/out permission as long as no money is made from the movie. All musicians I've talked to agree. BTW, has anyone heard of Bowling for Soup? Well, they agree with that too.

Of course, that guy not only had unlicensed music, but he also broke festival rules. not cool...I think that's more serious than the many complicated laws and stuff that he may or may not even be breaking.

Back