• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Pick one

Of these three ideas for my next short , what would you pick?

Ten Thousand Dollars And One Bad Idea
An average Joe steps into an above average adventure when he bets it all on a woman.

O’Black Mountain Road
Two brothers and one pretty girl hike into murderous territory when they unwittingly interrupt an assassination plot.

A Cabin In The Woods
Appalachian newlyweds build their simple mountain home on a foundation of rock covering a deadly secret that will awaken on their wedding night.

Last edited:
I like rom-com, so Im heading that way at least in this iteration.. but how to avoid cheese and yet have lots of physical comedy! ???

edit: nevermind bout that.. time to write a plot outline..

soooo.. thanks that helps..lol..

anyway.. ;) I think Ill work a con into this story.. its a good setup, the girl meeting Joe was no accident... Problem is our hero is not greedy.. so the con back fires when Joe tries to help her by giving her the 10K.. which totally screws up the con, and gets her in trouble with the con crew who of course think shes conning them.. etc etc.. all becuase Joe had one bad idea.

anyway.. ;) I think Ill work a con into this story.. its a good setup, the girl meeting Joe was no accident... Problem is our hero is not greedy.. so the con back fires when Joe tries to help her by giving her the 10K.. which totally screws up the con, and gets her in trouble with the con crew who of course think shes conning them.. etc etc.. all becuase Joe had one bad idea.

Sounds like it's getting more complicated already...

How about: She's trying to con him out of the $10,000 by showing him that her apartment has been burgled and trying to implicate him. Because he's such a good bloke he gives her the $10,000 and then she has to deal with the guilt and her burgeoning affection for our hero...

You've got so many options from the point she can't get into her apartment..
We don't want a silly protagonist, giving his $10, 000 away like a stipido. The smarter he is, the smarter she is, the smarter the story is.

How about just making the woman an opportunist who is struggling financially and could really use the money for some outstanding debt, so in theory she doesn't know about the 10K until he mentions it in a roundabout way. No con, just desperate measures. Then she ratchets up the seduction and plays damsel in distress to win him over. He buys it hook, line and sinker cuz he's a softie at heart. Then... well... there's more, so much more!

* a little pinch of Something Wild http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091983/ ?

Last edited:
How about just making the woman an opportunist who is struggling financially and could really use the money for some outstanding debt, so in theory she doesn't know about the 10K until he mentions it in a roundabout way. No con, just desperate measures. Then she ratchets up the seduction and plays damsel in distress to win him over. He buys it hook, line and sinker cuz he's a softie at heart. Then... well... there's more, so much more!

* a little pinch of Something Wild http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091983/ ?

It's just boring.

What if it turns out the woman at the airport lounge and the fiance who dumped him at the alter are in on it together? To implicate him in some crime, or make him the fall guy?

A twist from what appears to be RomCom to Thriller. Might be something there.

Ten Thousand Dollars And One Bad Idea
An average Joe steps into an above average adventure when he bets it all on a woman.
Best of the three, by far.
Definite RomCom. Skip drama. Possibly some light action, mistaken identities and deceptions.
PG-13. No need for R. I'd stay away from silly farce.
Unless... you wanted to go the SMOKIN' ACES or SNATCH route. In which case...

O’Black Mountain Road
Two brothers and one pretty girl hike into murderous territory when they unwittingly interrupt an assassination plot.
Done a thousand times - unless - you have some first rate actors and a killer cabin, more of a chalet, in the woods.
Now, if you have a local off season lodge available in the area you could have a fairly nice setting for some quasi-government derring do.
Likely R, possibly PG-13.

A Cabin In The Woods
Appalachian newlyweds build their simple mountain home on a foundation of rock covering a deadly secret that will awaken on their wedding night.
Too d@mn expensive unless you wanna go the Paranormal Activity/Blair Witch route. Advise against.

Last edited:
Another 10 grand vote. Cabin In the Woods sounds kinda like a thousand other films...though I love all of those films and you should make it, but the 10 grand is a bit more novel.

I thought the other two sound like a dozen other films and Cabin was a little less common. I mean sure they uncover a secret, but I'm intrigued as to how that relates to their wedding night, compared to just a uncovering a secret, in other movies. I don't like the title though, too generic or something.

Of course... you could do a mash up and Franken-film all three into one:

+

+

=

Two brothers bet it all on the same woman and step into an above average adventure when they unwittingly interrupt an assassination plot at a cabin in the woods built on a foundation of rock covering a deadly secret.

:D

Back