Pandora's Box

Pandora's Can of Worms

Hey guys, so I had this idea a while back to make a documentary and I've finally started doing a bunch of research and planning on it. There are some bumps I've run into that I'd love to get some advice about before I jump in head first. First some info about the project:

The idea is a documentary about karaoke enthusiasts. My research so far has consisted of scouting for potential 'stars' at the karaoke bars (luckily this is chicago and there are enough places where one could go every night of the week without hassle, I'm actually trying to find those 'regulars'), as well as scouring the internet for forums/groups etc to give me some insight into the 'culture' if there is one.

Question #1:
I've seen a lot of people on here say that making an outline helps with a docu, also, having a question to answer. I'm having trouble coming up with more of a question to answer than 'what makes someone be a karaoke enthusiast?' I realise this question(and it's subquestions) might be enough, but any advice for taking it further/getting something like that outlined would help. Does anyone have an example of a docu outline that they wouldn't mind sharing?

Question #2:
This is a legal question. I don't plan on filming anywhere without getting the owners permission. Anyone who doens't sign a release will not be in the film or will be blurred if absolutely necesary. But what about the songs? Do I go to the owner of the original music, or would getting permission from the owner(as in the manufacturer/copyright holder) of the karaoke disc be enough?

Question #3:
SOUND. You'll probably want to know what equipment I have first, so here you go. I've got a Cannon Vixia HF200. As far as sound equipment I've got nothing. My bf does have a small mixer and recording setup, but although it's small, I'm concerned about it's portability and general usefulness for film http://www.roland.com/products/en/BR-600/ also he's got one standard mic like you'd use for singing.
If those wouldn't work, do you think this setup would be sufficient for indoor(mostly bars)/outdoor recording?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Beachtek-DX-A2S...bles_Cords?hash=item33596e699c#ht_4034wt_1165
and
http://cgi.ebay.com/SGM-X-Shotgun-M...ultDomain_0?hash=item5d25582f73#ht_8708wt_939

And one more sound question(for now, teehee): When recording the folks singing onstage, should I try and get permission to hook directly into their system to get the pure sound of just their voice/music, or should I try and capture it from the audience?

At the moment I'm not too worried about lighting, I plan on filming only in bars where the stage is well-lit already, and for interviews I'll either get some worklights and make softboxes or else just do it in the daytime in well-lit rooms. Is that a good plan? Feel free to shoot it down :)

Sorry about the super-long post, and any response would be greatly appreciated!

Sammi

Last edited:
For answers about sound gear use the search function for some of my previous posts. (The BR-600 is not meant for production sound, it's a newb musicians toy.) You will also want to capture the karaoke singers performances directly off of the karaoke system. If done properly the sound of the performances will be much more palatable to your audience - whether you like it or not, you're competing with American Idol and similar programs.

One last thing - you will have to obtain clearances for the songs. You should speak with an entertainment attorney specializing in music clearances.

Hey Dready,
Although I can't really offer too much technical advice, I can point in the direction of a subject. I did a story for my College news paper a few years ago on this guy in Pittsburgh (not sure how wide of a scope you're looking at) who runs his own Karaoke company. When I say this guy is a character, I mean it. He is completely hilarious and out of his mind intense about Karaoke. I haven't seen him since I did the story, but I'm assuming he's still the same hair-rocking karaoke nut.
Here's the story: http://www.pittnews.com/node/16400
And here's his website: http://rockstarproductions.info/Home_Page.html
Let me know if you end up using him. I guarantee you won't regret it.

Be warned, popular songs tend to cost thousands of $ for even a few seconds... If you are just doing student/film fest stuff you can get special synch rights but those still tend to be hundreds of $ per under-30 seconds of song... and that's including the fact that it will be "covers" of the songs. Of course this is just in gen, and Alcove's right, you should talk to an attorney. But I feel like this would be a muy expensive project

karaoke music tracks are different than the original tracks.. while you'll still have to go through proper channels for the clearance rights, it shouldn't be nearly as expensive as it might otherwise be.

If the legal is too costly or impractical for a karaoke doc, then maybe you can find a story in Open Mic Nights.
Most have a regular cast of eclectic characters doing original music that they would be happy to contribute and interviewed about.

-Thanks-

(The BR-600 is not meant for production sound, it's a newb musicians toy.)

Aww, I'm afraid you bruised my bf's ego. No but seriously, thanks for the advice. I really found your blogs super helpful and I'll do some more searching on here :)

@danjfiore: thanks for the links. Not sure if I have the budget to take this doc on the road, but he looks like a great find :) I was actually inspired to do this doc by a friend of mine(and her father) who are RIDICULOUSLY into karaoke, not to mention both of them could have a doc made about them, karaoke aside, they are such characters. I only wish I had copies of her father's public-access cooking show. It was priceless!

@Will: Good to know. I found a website that does online karaoke(apparently it's pretty popular amongst karaoke folks), and I'm drafting a letter to send to their parent company about getting the rights. I was thinking maybe they would want to even sponsor the film, do you think it's worth wording it first as a pitch?

@Buddy: That's a really good idea. I admit, I'm most inspired by the karaoke crowd, but that could be a great doc in it's own right :)

Thanks again everyone, and if you've got and more tips/ideas/suggestions I love hearing it!!

@Will: Good to know. I found a website that does online karaoke(apparently it's pretty popular amongst karaoke folks), and I'm drafting a letter to send to their parent company about getting the rights. I was thinking maybe they would want to even sponsor the film, do you think it's worth wording it first as a pitch?
Honestly, if you're going to contact any company about rights and sponsorship, your first stop should be to talk to a lawyer... then the companies I would suggest contacting would be Sound Choice & Pop Hits Monthly, with the latter more likely to be easier to work with.. These are the two companies that put out the highest quality karaoke tracks.

Others worth considering talking to might be:
http://www.cavsusa.com/
http://www.sax-n-dotty.co.uk/

or any other company that's put out a product that has affected the karaoke landscape, or changed how it can be presented, etc..

Question #1:
I've seen a lot of people on here say that making an outline helps with a docu, also, having a question to answer. I'm having trouble coming up with more of a question to answer than 'what makes someone be a karaoke enthusiast?' I realise this question(and it's subquestions) might be enough, but any advice for taking it further/getting something like that outlined would help. Does anyone have an example of a docu outline that they wouldn't mind sharing?

Some questions that might yield interesting answers:
Whats your day job?
How much have you had to drink? (seriously, might be surprising answers)
Are you a professional entertainer? (this is most interesting when asked to complete crazy people!)
Why did you pick THAT song?
Do you sing in a church choir? Would you?
Have you ever tried out for American Idol? Why not?
What song are you most AFRAID to sing?

Back