• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Palmdale- A No Budget Camcorder Sci Fi

Here is Palmdale, an ultra low quality no budget sci fi/action/stoner short debacle.

http://vimeo.com/8207182

Shot in BrokeOscope (In California) on some kind of Walmart palmcorder,
then “Edited” in (Chicago) with Windows Movie Maker and Adobe After Effects.

Has a short flashback shot on Super 8mm.

Bad acting, bad color and bad sound abound, plus there was no script lol.

All in all, a low cost cavalcade of precious “What not to do next time” learning experience,
and a solid creative foundation upon which to build future projects with the same core team.

-Thanks-

Last edited:
Heh, that was actually pretty good. :cool:

You should write the next Cheech & Chong film, just replacing the beer with
smiley_weed.gif

(I think they already did that, though)

The aspect ratio was way off, but that kinda worked with the colour. It looked like an an old copy of a lo-budget 70's film.

Remarkably watchable for a scriptless short. :)

Hey Steve thanks for checking it out.

I forgot to add experimental aspect ratio whackiness to the list of issues it has, but you are right.

It's a cool coincidence that you watched it, because your S8 short (Pulp Friction?) was actually influential to me. You know that PSA where the kid tells his dad he learned smoking pot from watching him? lol That 70's funky gritty look that you can get hints of me trying to achive was actually something that stayed with me about how grain and color and format can conjure "Vibe" for a story to reside in after watching your short. It hit me that S8 IS the pulp fiction of film format.

I wish the influence panned out better in this short, but in time I hope it will.

We used this project as a means to inexpensivly fail with upward momentum and try things we've never done, like a car/UFO chase sequence (which was cut), After Effects stuff, Sci Fi genre in general, weak comedy, a battle scene, and more. In that regard and in creating something to learn from, this short will be a success to me as future projects become better because of it.

Last edited:
cool coincidence that you watched it, because your S8 short (Pulp Friction?) was actually influential to me.

I'm just quotin' that for posterity!
smiley_mono.gif

"Trunk Fiction"
:secret:

We used this project as a means to inexpensivly fail with upward momentum and try things we've never done, like a car/UFO chase sequence (which was cut), After Effects stuff, Sci Fi genre in general, weak comedy, a battle scene, and more. In that regard and in creating something to learn from, this short will be a success to me as future projects become better because of it.

You certainly covered & accomplished everything you set out to do, then. That's the beauty of making shorts like this. :)

Looking forward to what's next on your agenda. :cool:

awesome video.i learned alot from it....you are an excellent filmaker.......is that a springfield operator?............

Hey, not bad at all! Parts of it played like a trailer but it kept the pacing going forward.

"What if they just want to drink it?" LOL

And I loved the cheesy action lines. "Down here it's last call." :P LOL

Thanks. lol

This whole thing was cursed from the get go, but it was still a lot of fun.
The brutal aspect ratio was an experiment pass that I got locked into it after losing the master file.
Just one incident in a series of epic F’ups, but the show had to go on. I think with a script, forethought and less carelessness it could have been A LOT better. I like the intro and the montage still, and I love these guys spirit and insanity. Some of the stuff I didn’t use was pretty entertaining in its own way, like almost rolling the car, hitting the camera at 60 mph, numerous takes of being too drunk to understand what was being said, crashing in the wheelchair. I wouldn’t want to live there (too hot), but what an amazing place to have at your disposal for filming.

-Thanks-

Back