Options To Find Additional Funds For Completing My Film

I just completed my taxes and turned them in. The refund looks smaller than I hoped for and the production is over $4,000 over budget. No wonder I'm so broke.

I may not have enough funds to complete the movie this year. There will be enough for the pickup footage that will add value to the production and some matt painting can get done.

With no fan base to talk about, what other options can I try or look into to raise additional funds to complete the film this year?

Suggestions?

Combined with Kholi's statements regarding the effectiveness of paid online advertising vs. traditional, you may want to investigate the expenses for advertising IC2 on science fiction blogs to direct traffic to your own site, generating interest in your film across the upcoming year.

https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy....,cf.osb&fp=4ed61219c935a532&biw=1599&bih=815

SciFi film blogs:
https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy....,cf.osb&fp=4ed61219c935a532&biw=1599&bih=815

And maybe you can get your dirty little fingers in some of these pies:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_science_fiction_conventions

Last edited:
I think the idea of advertising on related blogs is a good one - another cheaper option is to join some discussion forums where potential fans hang out. You don't want to spam anyone though, so I think the only way to do that effectively is to participate enough that you actually become a part of the community before you start actively promoting your film.

What's your business model anyway? Are you receiving revenue from your series?

NNot in over 6 months from Amazon or ***********. *********** does not pay out unless the amount is over $10. I'm sure Amazon has their magic number too.

I need to get this new one complete for a ripple effects where some revenue will come from all by the release of something new. It's the shelf live syndrome.

I spoke with a former Hollywood actor last night who told me he hasn't seen a royalty check in 3 years. Well, that will happen after time when you change professions.

New products are essential to stay in the public's eye.

Been there done that. Without a pre-existing fan base or an art house project, it is useless.

The latter of this statement simply isn't true. I would encourage those reading, and especially those new to Crowdfunding, not to take this as a given.

A pre-existing audience is something that I (and many others) have spoken about countless times when asked to assist creators with their campaigns. You're correct. But I believe you're missing the point. Those audiences were established. They were earnt. Whether that be in preperation directly for that campaign or gradually through their work. That creator, filmmaker or novelist stood exactly where you are now. Their audience didn't simply 'exist'. Beit this very thread is upon building an audience, I would suggest that you take a closer look before dismissing something that has been very, very beneficial for those that have taken the scheme seriously.

I say this honestly and do so because I feel that those who happen to read your comments should not be discouraged from attemping to Crowdfund their projects.

You haven't 'been there' with Crowdfunding. You purely didn't prepare or plan well enough. The initiative is something that you have to take seriously. You have to plan for every day your campaign is live. Have smaller targets and do everything possible to meet those targets. Fundraise online and offline. You didn't prepare. That is not the fault of the platform. That is down to a lack of preparation.

I'm an artist, not a businessman. I'm still looking to hand over the business to whoever wants that end of it while I create art.

The same can be said for lots of small filmmakers wearing way too mny hats.

Once I get an agent, the business is all their's.

If kickstarter can't provide the support many more filmmakers will follow in my footsteps and leave them. I closed my account because they could not get me the fundng. I supplied the art. My end is done.

That's why I'm looking into other options for funding and suggest everyone else does the same.

Some people get unlucky with Kickstarter when they deserve to reach their goal. I don't think that was the case with you.

Saying that Kickstarter doesn't provide support for filmmakers is utter nonsense. Kickstarter is an excellent platform for any filmmakers who are looking to source funds but it requires a certain level of effort.

This is the the thread where you talk about your intro video. We told you how you should do it and you didn't listen to us and went ahead with a very long, documentary style film about the Ancient Greek influences in your film. Even though I donated to your project I was totally unsurprised to be one of only about three who did.

I'm not saying this to point out the flaws in your campaign for the hell of it, I'm sure you're sick of that already. It's just that there are a lot of filmmakers out there, like Kholi and a film I've worked on, who can raise money through Kickstarter and repeatedly trashing it, without giving them a chance to see the context of your campaign, is setting a bad standard.

Back