Options To Find Additional Funds For Completing My Film

I just completed my taxes and turned them in. The refund looks smaller than I hoped for and the production is over $4,000 over budget. No wonder I'm so broke.

I may not have enough funds to complete the movie this year. There will be enough for the pickup footage that will add value to the production and some matt painting can get done.

With no fan base to talk about, what other options can I try or look into to raise additional funds to complete the film this year?

Suggestions?

The one producer I was able to speak to who ran 3 successful campaigns hired a pro to write her pitch and another person to monitor the activity and post updates.

On her own, she would not have succeeded.

I don't have that type of money - especially now.

As it is, I will have to hire a pro later to write a business plan for me and explain it to me afterwards in plain English.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm an artist, not a businessman. I'm still looking to hand over the business to whoever wants that end of it while I create art.

The same can be said for lots of small filmmakers wearing way too mny hats.

Once I get an agent, the business is all their's.

The problem with that is you've already said you're not making enough money for yourself and the film - how do you also make enough money to support an agent, etc? The more people involved, the smaller everyone's cut gets. It's true we all wear a lot more hats these days, but unfortunately I think to be successful these days as an independent filmmaker some of those hats are going to have to be in the business side of things. We'd all love to be able to concentrate purely on the art and let someone else handle the business side of things, but unfortunately that's just not realistic until you start hitting a fairly significant level of success.

Excellent point here. Anytime I studied Business or Economics there was always that ole "Supply and Demand" stuff. You have to ask yourself what kind of smart business person is attracted to a business with a huge supply and and tiny demand in the market. Sorry if that sounds negative. Best of luck.
The problem with that is you've already said you're not making enough money for yourself and the film - how do you also make enough money to support an agent, etc? The more people involved, the smaller everyone's cut gets. It's true we all wear a lot more hats these days, but unfortunately I think to be successful these days as an independent filmmaker some of those hats are going to have to be in the business side of things. We'd all love to be able to concentrate purely on the art and let someone else handle the business side of things, but unfortunately that's just not realistic until you start hitting a fairly significant level of success.

There's always grants. I'm sure more in NY than most places. There's a killer grant opp for Texas filmmakers we're applying for this year that's helped a lot of projects in the past. Gotta dig.

Aside from that, every post here has been solid advice.

An agent is not a lawyer. An agent works on a percentage of what they can sell. That is their motivation to perform the best they can. They have to believe in their client to sell them.

I'm thinking the successful producer who hired the "Pro" to write her pitches has a friend or hired someone who either works for one of the two major advertising firms in our area. Or, knows a fund raiser with a very good record in fund raising.

I know a rich girl who hired an experienced fund raiser to write pitches for her nonprofit organization.

A friend in my crew contacted me today to ask for a get-together to introduce me to a friend of his who will do us a favor and work on the scene with bad audio for what he calls a very low rate. He says his friend has worked for television networks before. This is worth investigating. Anything that can reduce post costs is worth looking into.

I'm thinking the successful producer who hired the "Pro" to write her pitches has a friend or hired someone who either works for one of the two major advertising firms in our area. Or, knows a fund raiser with a very good record in fund raising.

I know a rich girl who hired an experienced fund raiser to write pitches for her nonprofit organization.

A friend in my crew contacted me today to ask for a get-together to introduce me to a friend of his who will do us a favor and work on the scene with bad audio for what he calls a very low rate. He says his friend has worked for television networks before. This is worth investigating. Anything that can reduce post costs is worth looking into.

Excellent point here. Anytime I studied Business or Economics there was always that ole "Supply and Demand" stuff. You have to ask yourself what kind of smart business person is attracted to a business with a huge supply and and tiny demand in the market. Sorry if that sounds negative. Best of luck.

I have friends in Hollywood who told me that George Lucas gambled the mortgage on his house for a movie that no studio would take a chance on. That movie now is a household name called "Star Wars."

I have to check off a box every year for my business taxes to affirm my company is in a "High Risk Business."

So, some times, chances can pan out.

People here have seen some of the clips from the rough cut. It is all round better than the first part of this series. With a good post team, this production can find a market on cable TV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually regarding the George Lucas example, I would consider him to be the "artist" in the equation because Star Wars was his idea, his passion so it makes sense he would risk everythng for it. That being said there are business people that will help you with your vision. They are just very hard to find as you have found out.
best of luck in your search.

An agent is not a lawyer. An agent works on a percentage of what they can sell. That is their motivation to perform the best they can. They have to believe in their client to sell them.

I have friends in Hollywood who told me that George Lucas gambled the mortgage on his house for a movie that no studio would take a chance on. That movie now is a household name called "Star Wars."

I have to check off a box every year for my business taxes to affirm my company is in a "High Risk Business."

So, some times, chances can pan out.

People here have seen some of the clips from the rough cut. It is all round better than the first part of this series. With a good post team, this production can find a market on cable TV.

Last edited:
And back to how to build a fan base, an email about Battlestar Galactica today gave me a great idea. The title of the email was, "Are You A Human Or A Cylon?"

That's reaching out to a fan base. Finding data bases of people to email to is a business onto itself.

When it comes to looking for additional funding, no stone should be left unturned.

Back