Official Rejection

I just got this documentary from Amazon.com and I'm blown away.... Every filmmaker considering sending their movie to a film festival, ANY film festival, I cannot recommend this movie enough. It's amazing. Interviews with Kevin Smith, Chris Gore, Jenna Fisher, Bryan Singer, and Lloyd Kaufman with their insights on film festivals.

http://amzn.com/B002Q0WYPG

Dig it. I had nothing to do with this movie, but it's got some killer observations.

Sounds good to me. I've had my scripts turned down a few times now and could probably wallpaper a couple of bedrooms of my house (as the old cliche goes) with rejection letters for my fiction, poetry and even my first novel. It's the nature of the business, but I don't think anyone, no matter how much they read or even see films about how brutal the rejection process can be really gets a sense of how tough it is and how long the process can go on until they're throat-deep in the whole thing.

I do reasonably well with my non-film writing, but it took twelve years of being self-taught and getting those untold number of rejection letters to get there, and God knows I've got about six million more miles to go.

I can even imagine how far along I still need to go with my scripts, but I'm ready as always to do whatever the hell I have to do.

The film looks really interesting. I'll have to check it out.

I have an inch-thick file folder containing my "unfortunately" letters, so called because nearly every one uses the word "unfortunately" somewhere in its body. The parenthetical which follows each, of course, is "unfortunately (for you)..."

I have an inch-thick file folder containing my "unfortunately" letters, so called because nearly every one uses the word "unfortunately" somewhere in its body. The parenthetical which follows each, of course, is "unfortunately (for you)..."

I could wallpaper my entire bedroom with rejection letters over the past 10 years. you get used to it. Keep plugging away and keep trying.

Hopefully I'll get more and more happy acceptance letters this year...and I say that every year, but it does come true.

I could wallpaper my entire bedroom with rejection letters over the past 10 years.

10 years? Try thirty! :blush:

My wife has a magnet on the fridge that says something like, "Happiness is like a butterfly. The more you pursue it the more it will elude you. But if you sit quietly it will alight upon your shoulder."

When I read that I said to her, "So, if my happiness is defined by my achieving a full-time career as a film maker, I'm supposed to just sit around and wait for someone to..."

She didn't even let me finish, shouting, "It doesn't apply to you!" :lol:

It's when you get personal rejection letters that you know you're getting closer. :P

Kaufman is beacon of truth in a sea of nonsense, I love’em.

I've been on panels with Lloyd more than once and he is incredibly insightful. no matter what anyone thinks of his movies, he's been at it forever and continues to make movies.

I just re-watched this movie for the 3rd time today. It's essential for anyone planning a film festival strategy or even just attending a film festival with their movie. The swag, the horror stories, and the good times - all conveyed well in this movie.

Back