Not Too Late ... Timing Is Everything

Hello,

Without going into elaboration, I am a 40 something film enthusiest - who is looking to network within the indie film industry of (North) Florida.

My careers have been very fulfilling thus far - high school and college history professor, sports writer, antique and artifact appraiser, white-water raft guide, professional athlete, comic book artist, father of 7 kids (all grown up) ...

now I am persuing a passion of story telling through film. I have written a screen play and sold it, acted in my first two stage plays (just to see what its like) and would love to see more film production in sunshine state (Florida).

I am looking for other film enthusiests - directors, actors, cinematographers, sound, prop and stage people ... anyone who wants to talk, work and create movies. I can help you and maybe visa versa on your projects.

For those who might think I'm late to the show - I'm not, my head has been in this for a long time ...

thoughts, comments and ideas appreciated.

cheers

PS - I've been hired before for my story boarding - one commercial, one indie film.

Welcome! Congratulations on the sale of your script, and your two storyboarding contracts. For a *beginner*, you're already ahead of the curve.

Thanks Bird ... I am most fortunate and hope I can share the wealth, so to speak, with others.

The film world must be a young mind's playground - old ideas and repetition are boring. Think young, be young ... yet retain wisdom.

Thanks Bird ... I am most fortunate and hope I can share the wealth, so to speak, with others.

The film world must be a young mind's playground - old ideas and repetition are boring. Think young, be young ... yet retain wisdom.
Ah, but, ideas are timeless, we just need to remix the package of molecules into prettier forms. :D

Welcome Grasshopper!

I'm one of the audio guys here.

Keep in mind that the search function is your friend. Everyone here is always very glad to help you out, but a lot of the "basics" questions have been asked and answered many times.

And always remember:

"Sound is half of the experience"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCyJRXvPNRo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCyJRXvPNRo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

"Old man, how is it that you hear these things?"

"Young man, how is it that you do not?"

Hello Zensteve and Alcove Audio ...

thanks for the welcome.

I realize that I am not located in a film rich area (geographically). So this forum is a great source to run ideas and discuss the medium of cinematography and film making. (and of course learn, learn, learn)

However, I would love to have more people to work with - either on my projects or on yours. So if you need some sunshine or just like the change of scenery (to the ocean / beaches) - let me know. I would be happy to show you around and share locations, resources and hospitality.

One of my next projects will include a small town setting ... nice weather, low-budget ... cool story. I think Stephen King has a had a little success with that ...

cheers

thanks Ernest ...

also if anyone needs info on shooting in Florida, let me know. I have scouted locations - mostly from Central / Orlando and the Northeastern regions.

Not too late at all Ian! Never too late!

Congrats on your script, thats quite a big leap in the indie community. It seems like this community (on the forum) the more it grows the more diverse help you can get when you ask a question. Its a beautiful thing and I hope to see you around :yes:

Thanks L.I.F.E.

My background in education and journalism were probably instrumental in getting the script right. In addition, I did a lot of research - including reading many of the suggestions on this board.

Lastly, I feel that my life experiences gave me a good insight to human nature which related well in my writing.

My hopes are to put some of these into acting which I wish to understand more before trying to direct a film. I can learn from anyone and everyone.

Just like we can all learn from you! Hope you stick around! :)

The creative mind of the internet is always better than one single opinion or viewpoint.

Not always.

In a sense. One brain versus the force of 100's of brains. The hundreds of brains can give you invaluable information and different viewpoints that you may not be able to see on your own.

I read a book on the collective mind of the internet, and it was truly interesting.

hey old man. Hike up yer depends, down an ensure and go make a movie.

your not to late to hook up with a crew for the 2010 Orlando 48 Hour Film Project.

from http://www.48hourfilm.com/orlando/

The Orlando 48 Hour Film Project

The 48 Hour Film Project comes to Orlando on the weekend of August 20th. Filmmakers from all over the Orlando area will compete to see who can make the best short film in only 48 hours. The winning film will go up against films from around the world.

Im up to my ears in the Portland Oregon one, and so far Iv made more contacts and new friends than I can shake a snapping turtle at!

Welcome from a 43 year old kid with 6 youngens, most of 'em not yet grown.

Hey Wheatgrinder -

thanks for the Orlando FF notice ... if you know anyone who wants a hand, info, contacts, ideas or just beer time ... I am putting myself up for service.

I may not have the finances or the tools to shoot a short right now, but I can work a boom, write and edit script, make props, make sandwichs, dial a phone and drive .... by the way - I can act too.

PS - I used to work in Orlando when Universal/Nickelodeon was in its heydey and spent a whole bunch of time learning on the back lots of those studios.

Cracker -

thanks for the vote of confidence ... and the pep talk from the "Governator" ...

although I am certainly capable of "doing" something, I am interested in collaborations and cooperative working situation - my experience indicates that the best films are group projects rather than solo or dictatorial culminations.

There are so many aspects of film making I want to explore or revisit - from scouting locations to prop designing ... and this is the great aspect of indie film that evaporates once you specialize for the big movie industry.

Hollywood filmmakers (and I am generalizing) follow certain rules that are prohibitive - where indies have an air of freedom that allows for so much more ... anything.

As they say "good help is hard to find" - I'm hoping that I can provide just that.

BTW - there is an indie film (Wonder Entertainment) being shot here right now - so I'm off to see what I can do ...

Back